PG Einstein Challenge: who's in?

Holdolin

Hard DC'er of the Month February 2021
So, any of y'all planning on participating in the Einstein challenge in Prime Grid? I'll be sending my Threadripper 7960X and Ryzen 9 7950X3D at it. I the only question I have is how to set my CPU. I mean I *can* set it to 4 and both CPUs will have enough cache to run them fully in-cache but I've never done this particular task and now sure how long it will take. Guess I could ask over there. Guess I should also consider going to bed. It's 1 AM lol.

I'm in, but of course as luck has it, I go out of town and a couple of my systems go down. Will have them back up tonight or tomorrow.

I'm in, but of course as luck has it, I go out of town and a couple of my systems go down. Will have them back up tonight or tomorrow.
I hear that. It's almost like these systems can think and are like 'oh goodie, he's away, let's bugger off'. Makes me not wanna even leave the house when a competition is going on. Don't it suck having responsibilities? :p

I hear that. It's almost like these systems can think and are like 'oh goodie, he's away, let's bugger off'. Makes me not wanna even leave the house when a competition is going on. Don't it suck having responsibilities? :p
Yeah. I am right stumped about what happened to them, too. It's four that have a "last contacted date" on PG that is within 30 seconds of each other, so that makes me wonder if there was an issue with the network switch. But I've got another system on the same switch that has been running fine...so I have no idea. They're on different circuit breakers too, so that can't be an explanation either. I guess I'll see when I'm home.

Yeah. I am right stumped about what happened to them, too. It's four that have a "last contacted date" on PG that is within 30 seconds of each other, so that makes me wonder if there was an issue with the network switch. But I've got another system on the same switch that has been running fine...so I have no idea. They're on different circuit breakers too, so that can't be an explanation either. I guess I'll see when I'm home.
WIN 10? They all updated, restarted and are sitting on the "lets get you signed up for data mining" screen. Because you need more advertisements from MS. Your systems don't have any jobs to do for you.

1710892455815.png

WIN 10? They all updated, restarted and are sitting on the "lets get you signed up for data mining" screen. Because you need more advertisements from MS. Your systems don't have any jobs to do for you.

View attachment 642622
Three of them are Linux, and had apparently come back fine by the time I got home. I blame the network switch. The last one was just off completely. Power obviously went out, and I must have not gotten the auto-power-on setup properly in the BIOS. Oh well, easy fix.

So, just about a day in, we're #11 as a team; neck in neck with SETI.USA for the #10 spot. Nice start all (y)

I wish I had more than 6 cores out of 8 on my 5800x I could toss at this. Even if I fired it up on my 2600x I doubt it would finish a work unit before the event ended.

All done. We managed 14th. This could give us some insight as to how we'll fare on the Pentathlon.

1711342411439.png

Bad showing from me. Power went out at my place Saturday evening, and still isn't back. I think I ought to be able to do a much better job under more normal circumstances.

Bad showing from me. Power went out at my place Saturday evening, and still isn't back. I think I ought to be able to do a much better job under more normal circumstances.
Sorry to hear that. If your power is out for a couple days you've got bigger concerns than DC, for sure.

Sorry to hear that. If your power is out for a couple days you've got bigger concerns than DC, for sure.
Yes, that's true. A tree didn't fall on the house, I've got plenty of water, and I've got a gas stove for cooking, so all things considered, I'm doing pretty much alright.

Back