PewDiePie Becomes First YouTuber To Surpass 10 Billion Views

10 billion views though. 10 BILLION. How much money is that? Is it every thousand views he makes a buck? based on a crappy site he may be making 3.46 per thousand views that equates to 3.46 million dollars for the youtube views. So this guy may be pulling down a million dollars a year for being annoying. I'll do that for a million a year NO QUESTIONS ASKED. ;)

Someone did the math and on some years it's well over $10mil+.

I just watched a video with 55 million views. It was actually one of the least funny attempts to be funny I've ever seen.

Whatever secret sauce these things have, I sure as fuck don't get it. I guess the numbers just attract numbers. I had some video with several tens of thousands of views and it just kept going up.

I didn't mention anyone specific, but some of it comes off as pure jealousy. Not all is obviously, calm down.

That said, how is he taking advantage of anyone exactly? That's a supremely stupid thing to say.

I am not a big PDP fan (or any of the streaming gamers on YouTube) but why should their success be attributed to their "taking advantage" of their viewers ...

The two of you need to reread and understand my comment as it clearly went over you. You guys are asking a question that I clearly already explained in my OP.

Here, I'll repost my specific point only so you won't have other words around it to confuse you:

totally takes advantage of his young feeble minded audience with his "Bro" bullshit. No better than some cult leader. Makes them think that he actually gives a shit about them outside of the revenue they continue to stream into his bank accounts.

That's called taking advantage of someone. Manipulation. Basic psychology. What's stupid about that?

I just watched a video with 55 million views. It was actually one of the least funny attempts to be funny I've ever seen.

Whatever secret sauce these things have, I sure as fuck don't get it. I guess the numbers just attract numbers. I had some video with several tens of thousands of views and it just kept going up.

Read my comment above. A lot of it is manipulation of the younger crowd into thinking they're "loved" and that they're "bro's" with PewDiePie. Go watch the outros for his videos and see how kiss ass he becomes. His audience thinks he actually cares for them, hell, make a negative comment on one of his videos and see the response you get. These people act like he's Jesus, infallible. "Brofist!™"

Other than that it's just stupid screaming and yelling, something that when you're young is loud and in your face. Something that when you aren't old enough to actually understand good humor comes off as being "funny". It's why I don't see his fame dying anytime soon. As people mature and get older and leave him behind there's always those coming up the rear to replace them.

Never watched a video. The only youtube videos I regularly watch are some of the folks that do covers of other artists and do their own spin on it. Maybe i'll check out what the hype is about this guy.

The two of you need to reread and understand my comment as it clearly went over you. You guys are asking a question that I clearly already explained in my OP.

Here, I'll repost my specific point only so you won't have other words around it to confuse you:

That's called taking advantage of someone. Manipulation. Basic psychology. What's stupid about that?

That isn't manipulation or even basic psychology. I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. I retract previous statements, your posts now pretty much scream petty jealousy. Find a better thing to do with your time other than hate people because they find success being idiots. Jackass proved years ago that people can't get enough stupid.

Again, to reiterate my point so it is clear ... mass entertainment has certain rules ... you need to appeal to the mass demographic, you need to get your audience to sympathize or have affection for you ... there is nothing inherently disingenuous about that, it is acting ... some people clearly like that (I do not), but that doesn't make them a cult or the person who does it a bastard ... and make no mistake, he is an entertainer

He is not a preacher who requires weekly tithes to earn God's favor ... most of his earnings come from the views themselves so he has an incentive to behave in whatever way or offer whatever services, language, etc that will obtain those views ... nothing illegal or stupid about that ... if you had to pay per episode to view it and he was engaging in misleading marketing campaigns I would agree with you ... but that is the nature of the free market and consumer choice (sometimes they choose crappy stuff that they like and others do not) ;)

That isn't manipulation or even basic psychology. I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. I retract previous statements, your posts now pretty much scream petty jealousy. Find a better thing to do with your time other than hate people because they find success being idiots. Jackass proved years ago that people can't get enough stupid.

Oh, right, basic internet "you don't know what you're talking about and I'm not going to provide a counterpoint" type bullshit. It's totally manipulation. How is it not? How is manipulating people into thinking you care about them not exactly that? You apparently don't know anything about PewDiePie and what he does.

And again, you keep spouting your "jealousy" crap as if it's fact. There is no jealousy here, at all, it's just that I see through the bullshit and don't like that he does what he does to his fans. He's just using them and that's not cool in my eyes. If you want to call that jealousy then I think it is you who has no idea what they're talking about.

Again, to reiterate my point so it is clear ... mass entertainment has certain rules ... you need to appeal to the mass demographic, you need to get your audience to sympathize or have affection for you ... there is nothing inherently disingenuous about that, it is acting ... some people clearly like that (I do not), but that doesn't make them a cult or the person who does it a bastard ... and make no mistake, he is an entertainer

He is not a preacher who requires weekly tithes to earn God's favor ... most of his earnings come from the views themselves so he has an incentive to behave in whatever way or offer whatever services, language, etc that will obtain those views ... nothing illegal or stupid about that ... if you had to pay per episode to view it and he was engaging in misleading marketing campaigns I would agree with you ... but that is the nature of the free market and consumer choice (sometimes they choose crappy stuff that they like and others do not) ;)

What's your point exactly? :confused:

You're basically confirming what I'm saying but just drawing it out haha! :p

Yes he's an entertainer, yes he says and does things to make people that don't know any better do what he want's. Again, manipulating. I'm not saying he's special in doing it or anything, I find it sleazy and a low life thing to do no matter who the person is. There are plenty of YouTubers out there that I enjoy who don't do these things that are still wildly popular.

I opened one of his videos once. I heard him say "PEEW" I closed it before my ears exploded.

So irritating when searching for a legit review, and all you can find is PewDiePie and similar videos.

What's your point exactly? :confused:

You're basically confirming what I'm saying but just drawing it out haha! :p

Yes he's an entertainer, yes he says and does things to make people that don't know any better do what he want's. Again, manipulating. I'm not saying he's special in doing it or anything, I find it sleazy and a low life thing to do no matter who the person is. There are plenty of YouTubers out there that I enjoy who don't do these things that are still wildly popular.

Except you are saying what he is doing is wrong and I am saying what he is doing is the acceptable and standard way of doing business (so it is not wrong) ... you indicate there are other popular people that don't do this (but they are not as popular) ... so there are always choices ... also, who is to say whether he legitimately cares for his audience or not (or whether that even matters in the world of entertainment) ... the goal of all capitalistic endeavors is to make the maximum profit possible (he seems to be doing just that so he has a successful capitalist venture ... that is my point) ... anything else beyond is opinion and personal preference and not business acumen or guidelines :cool:

Oh, right, basic internet "you don't know what you're talking about and I'm not going to provide a counterpoint" type bullshit. It's totally manipulation. How is it not? How is manipulating people into thinking you care about them not exactly that? You apparently don't know anything about PewDiePie and what he does.

And again, you keep spouting your "jealousy" crap as if it's fact. There is no jealousy here, at all, it's just that I see through the bullshit and don't like that he does what he does to his fans. He's just using them and that's not cool in my eyes. If you want to call that jealousy then I think it is you who has no idea what they're talking about.
There is no counterpoint to just flat out wrong. You are raging about someone you don't like, period. You are making claims of the guys motivations like they are fact, when you have no facts whatsoever. As was mentioned, he's an entertainer catering to his audience. So unless you want you argue yay all entertainers

Damn submit button on a phone.

Unless you want to argue that all entertainers are manipulating people, I don't see where you have any factual grounds to claim it against him. Even if you want to argue that it's a very pedantic argument.

I wonder how many of his subscribers are also trying to earn a living the same way. Half? The other half pre-pubescent girls? I just don't get it, maybe if he had something constructive to say about the game he was playing, work a review into it I don't know. I just can't get more than a few minutes in before I want to reach through screen and slap him.

the guy is entirely unnoteworthy unless you have money/youtube hits as your primary measure of success. (with the latter akin to having a ton of facebook "friends")

makes the kinds of stuff that leads adults to drink.

the guy is entirely unnoteworthy unless you have money/youtube hits as your primary measure of success. (with the latter akin to having a ton of facebook "friends")

What :confused:

Although money shouldn't be an indicator on whether you should like someone or not it is certainly a valid measure of "success" as you say. Ultimately there are very few measures of success:

1. Altruism - you are able to perform great acts of charity or meaning (Mother Teresa, etc)
2. Power - you exert great control over groups of people or businesses
3. Money - you earn lots of lettuce
4. Personal satisfaction - subjective and only applies to the person who is doing the job (I can't force you to be satisfied, you either are or you are not)
5. Knowledge - you have great knowledge and understanding far above the common man

In some cases you might have more than one of those measures but there isn't much else you could use to measure success. Now likability is a different matter and like personal satisfaction that isn't subject to any rules.

Tila Tiquila gained her fame from spamming MySpace friend requests... This kid just got famous by word of mouth. I'm guessing a lot of people are the people that chase the latest trends, though. "Oh, he's hot? I'll have to start watching.".

No hate towards the guy at all. I think a lot of that hate/disapproval is aimed at his viewership, though.

If I could make money doing the same thing, I would. I would be saving it up, as I would know it was a niche and soon to die career....

There is no counterpoint to just flat out wrong. You are raging about someone you don't like, period. You are making claims of the guys motivations like they are fact, when you have no facts whatsoever. As was mentioned, he's an entertainer catering to his audience. So unless you want you argue yay all entertainers

As I already said, you don't know anything about he conducts business then. Everything he does is all about making money. Hell, he even tells his "fans" to go to his own website/forums to talk about his videos there instead of YouTube. Why? More ad revenue.

Again, not saying it's isn't common, but he is just using people for his own gain. That much is obvious.

Brofist! :rolleyes:

As I already said, you don't know anything about he conducts business then. Everything he does is all about making money. Hell, he even tells his "fans" to go to his own website/forums to talk about his videos there instead of YouTube. Why? More ad revenue.

Again, not saying it's isn't common, but he is just using people for his own gain. That much is obvious.

Brofist! :rolleyes:

An entertainer encouraging their fans to spread the word to increase their audience (money) THE HORROR, THE SHOCK, I mean no entertainer in the history has ever done that..... oh wait..

Only Cr1tikal / Penguinz0 makes me laugh

tumblr_n3gnkfvZEQ1rr79ifo5_400.gif

An entertainer encouraging their fans to spread the word to increase their audience (money) THE HORROR, THE SHOCK, I mean no entertainer in the history has ever done that..... oh wait..

Do you not know how to comprehend things? Can you explain to me how what you said has anything to do with what I said? How is telling his fans on YouTube to go to his site to talk about the same videos "encouraging his friends to spread the word"?

You're sounding more and more like one of his fanboys. Taking what people say and twisting their words to suit your outrageous ideas. In fact, that's what I'm going to go with. Brofist bro, bro!

Do you not know how to comprehend things? Can you explain to me how what you said has anything to do with what I said? How is telling his fans on YouTube to go to his site to talk about the same videos "encouraging his friends to spread the word"?

You're sounding more and more like one of his fanboys. Taking what people say and twisting their words to suit your outrageous ideas. In fact, that's what I'm going to go with. Brofist bro, bro!

I can't stand PDP but I will defend his right and ability to make money as long as it is legal ... he is an entertainer on YouTube so there is no other measure of success beyond money ... no one has to watch him (I certainly won't), nor do people have to post on his or YouTube's site ... but if they do and he makes money off of that, how is that a bad thing :confused:

I can't stand PDP but I will defend his right and ability to make money as long as it is legal ... he is an entertainer on YouTube so there is no other measure of success beyond money ... no one has to watch him (I certainly won't), nor do people have to post on his or YouTube's site ... but if they do and he makes money off of that, how is that a bad thing :confused:

I'm just saying that I don't like the way he uses his audience to his advantage and how Dekoth-E- likes to come to wild ass conclusions based on the simple, easy to understand, things that I say.

No, I applaud PewDiePie for what he's accomplished, for sure, but he's still a manipulative twat. And just because other entertainers do it doesn't make it "OK" either. It's still taking advantage of no matter how common it is.

I'm just saying that I don't like the way he uses his audience to his advantage and how Dekoth-E- likes to come to wild ass conclusions based on the simple, easy to understand, things that I say.

No, I applaud PewDiePie for what he's accomplished, for sure, but he's still a manipulative twat. And just because other entertainers do it doesn't make it "OK" either. It's still taking advantage of no matter how common it is.

I think we just have different definitions of taking advantage of someone ... a big Pharma company that charges hundreds or thousands for a life saving pill (taking advantage) ... a movie company that releases a regular movie, then a director's cut, then a special edition (taking advantage) ... a game or company that puts critical features behind a paywall (taking advantage) ... encouraging people to use your service or your site for something that is totally optional (not taking advantage in my book) ... but your mileage apparently varies :cool:

I think we just have different definitions of taking advantage of someone ... a big Pharma company that charges hundreds or thousands for a life saving pill (taking advantage) ... a movie company that releases a regular movie, then a director's cut, then a special edition (taking advantage) ... a game or company that puts critical features behind a paywall (taking advantage) ... encouraging people to use your service or your site for something that is totally optional (not taking advantage in my book) ... but your mileage apparently varies :cool:

They're ALL examples of taking advantage of people. Size or scope doesn't matter if the shoe fits. There is no varied mileage on my end, only on yours apparently.

Name any successful YouTuber that doesn't use their audience to their advantage. "Click Like/Subscribe to keep up!" -> brings them more views and revenue. "Visit our page!" More revenue.... Eventually, after you build an audience after having some fun, you start running it like a business. Same with most sites - it costs money to keep doing it, so you'll run some ads and shit.

Kyle is taking advantage of us on this site. Ads, affiliate links, etc.. That's business. That's how you get to be successful (on the money side, anyway).

Yes, it's taking advantage of someone. But, at that point, I don't see it as negatively taking advantage of someone. It's a mutual benefit. He makes entertaining (opinion, of course - not mine as I haven't seen him) videos. People watch. He gets ad revenue. The viewer is entertained, he gets monetary compensation. The viewer didn't pay a dime. So, the only advantage taken was the time of the viewer.

So, from that point, you're correct. But, I think that wasn't your original point and you just want to be right in one way or another.

Do you not understand how social circles work? His site, another site it's all the same. Go here, form a community and invite your friends. That's how you build and grow a fanbase. I'm not a fan, I've watched 2 of his videos and don't care for them. What I don't condone however is infantile ranting and exaggeration. Which so far is all you've done. Your last statement was particularly mature.

8-14 mostly.

This.

Only heard about him when visiting a lady friend whos' son was big into him.
Can see why they like him though. I personally am not a fan at all.. annoyeaux.

Lots of kids are console kids, as I was after a period of amstrad/386/p2 etc.. They don't get to have a PC with mods and all the cool adult games, so they get to see it through this guy. I guess this is a large part of it.

At least they'll hopefully grow up wanting PCs. Our young master race children, the future of PC, will make a new Tausendjähriges PC Reich!

Most people that watch his videos, subscribers are little kids who don't know how to play video games without relying on a walkthrough.

Is it weird that I haven’t seen a single one of this guy’s videos? Are there any fans that could elaborate on his appeal?

My stepson liked to watch his videos because of the real time photoshops. He thought they were funny.

Other than that, I don't even know what he does.

While it pains me to not support a fellow Swede who is becoming famous on the international stage, I - personally - find him mostly annoying.

Hi All

Never heard of him until today. I suspect I'm probably not part of his target group. However, he must be doing something right.

Yea I never knew people can make a ton of money on youtube and twitch....never heard of this guy.

But JUST last week a buddy of mine linked me this guy called maximillion guy or dood or something on twitch.tv. He was showing some good combos for MXK (which I just got for a whole $23).

Anyway while watching his combo's for Predator I noticed an icon kept popping up... Which I guess was donation.....Well fuck someone donated $10000 to this guy.....JUST For watching his twitch stream.

I am sorry but I am in the wrong profession. Who the fuck knew sitting at home playing video games and making stupid youtube videos would make you rich...I had no fucking idea.

Yea I never knew people can make a ton of money on youtube and twitch....never heard of this guy.

But JUST last week a buddy of mine linked me this guy called maximillion guy or dood or something on twitch.tv. He was showing some good combos for MXK (which I just got for a whole $23).

Anyway while watching his combo's for Predator I noticed an icon kept popping up... Which I guess was donation.....Well fuck someone donated $10000 to this guy.....JUST For watching his twitch stream.

I am sorry but I am in the wrong profession. Who the fuck knew sitting at home playing video games and making stupid youtube videos would make you rich...I had no fucking idea.

It's a numbers game. Do or make something that thousands of people are willing to watch/pay you for and let the money roll in. I remember when I first started doing Lets Plays back in 2008 during Justin.tv days before it got popular, had almost 1-2K concurrent viewers but never accepted donations but did make about $100 off youtube highlights. Decided to continue my college path and get a job instead :/ I am happy with the money I make but if I only knew what an untapped gold mine I was sitting on...

I'm a twitch streamer as well, not big and I only do it as a hobby for fun. However even I've had people donate a couple hundred. It's really a mindblowing experience at the generosity and support of some. Over a period of time you get to know your regular viewers and you do in fact develop relationships with them. My experience doing both twitch and YouTube has taught me a ton about the community and the massive amount of work it is to get big. It's why I take such offence too incredibly ignorant rantings like the guy I was arguing with earlier. He's making baseless assumptions on his hate of something against someone he doesn't know the first thing about. Part of pdp's success is luck of being one of the first, but most of it is hard damn work. I may not like his content, I don't like most YouTubers content. But I respect the massive amount of work it is finding an act you're good at and an audience for it.

Back