Pentium M in IC7-G?

I doubt it'd work. I've tried finding sites that have tried it but it seems like no one's said "ah what the hell" and just plunked the CPU into a retail board just for shits and giggles. (who knows.. maybe it'd post) but I don't have that kinda money to blow...

No, neither the BIOS nor the chipset supports the Pentium M in any flavor.

Actually, the chipset supports it just fine, but the sockets are incompatible. P-M actually uses a pin layout which is mechanically different than the layout of the P4s socket 478, not to mention electrically incompatible.

Yes, as of right now Intel has no official support for P-M on i875, but that's because they're pushing the e7501 as the chipset for non-mobile P-M applications. P-M is still compatible with the P4 bus, all it takes is a board designed to use them instead of the P4.

Remember, Intel also didn't have official support for Celeron SMP setups but Abit's BP6(and the Slocket makers) made it happen.

I know this to be true, and I appreciate you trying to educate me on this, but let's stick to the context of this thread, alright?

Fine, then here's my response to the o.p.
I think the answer is no, but is there any chance one could run a Pentium M (socket 478) in a IC7-G (Max2 in my case) motherboard?

Natively, no, but it would be possible with the right adapter and a BIOS update. Talk to Powerleap or Upgradeware, see if they have anything in the works.

i mailed to powerleap about this possible adapter a months ago and they
replied that they had/have no plans for this kind of adapter.

There are a couple of motherboards in various form factors that support the Pentium M. For example, I have a Pentium M motherboard in Mini-ITX form factor.

xonik said:
There are a couple of motherboards in various form factors that support the Pentium M. For example, I have a Pentium M motherboard in Mini-ITX form factor.

True, but I would want an AGP slot, or PCI-E 16x.

==>Lazn

Like has already been said here, the pinout is totally different on P-M so you can't drop one in a P4 board, even though the busses are electrically the same. There are a couple of ATX/mATX boards out there for the P-M, but are based on the i855 mobile chipset and are industrial boards with industrial price tags (>$400). The one I've looked at did have an AGP slot though. One tidbit that I read recently at Anandtech did say that Shuttle is working on a SFF box using the P-M, but didn't say which chipset will be utilized. I also dropped over to Upgradeware's forum and posed the question on if they were developing an adapter and they said they presently weren't, but would look at it and see if it was feasible. They did say it would probably be physically very difficult to remap the pin layout though.

Lazn_Work said:
True, but I would want an AGP slot, or PCI-E 16x.

==>Lazn
Mine has an AGP slot, but with a proprietary connector. Right now I'm using a Mobility Radeon 9600.

Back