PCI-E SATA 2 card for Raid - 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MikeHawk-

Limp Gawd
Looking to run raid on non raid board & looking for an inexpensive solution. I am using the 16x port for a video card. & have four 1x ports free to use. I'm guessing the 1x port should be enough to run 2 HDDs in Raid - 0? I've normally run onboard raid on most of my rigs, so not too knowledgeable about the expansion cards.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L if that helps. Gonna be using a Q9550 on it, Win7 Pro 64-bit. Two(2) Seagate 500g (32meg buffer)SATA2 drives, so only need a 2 port internal card w/3Gbs speeds. Thanks in advance for any & all advice.

If all you want is a RAID0 then why not just use the OS for it? Why bother adding a card? It has 6 SATA ports on it, do you need more ports?

What kind of card is OS? I wasn't able to find a raid card that does stripped called OS. :rolleyes:

OS, aka Operating System. As in, Windows.

Use the disk manager (diskmgmt.msc) to extend a volume across multiple drives (for RAID0) or mirror them (RAID1).

Yeah if you're not looking to boot off the raid, the windows 7 raid 0 works good. Just convert the disks to dynamic then stripe them. You cannot boot off of windows raid though.

The ICH9 can do a raid 0 plus stand alone drives. Not sure why you would trust as cheap raid card over ICH9(granted both are fake raid setups)

The south bridge is ICH10 & no it does NOT have native SATA raid support.
That's why I'm asking for a Raid Card suggestion.
Not an OS raid or software raid.
If I wanted that I would just do that.
Please stop suggesting things I'm not asking for. If you don't have a raid card suggestion please do not respond.
I was being a smartass on 1st response cause that isn't what I'm looking for.

Highpoint RocketRaid 620 is where I would start for low end Raid 0. I got the non-raid version (Rocket 620), modified with a Raid firmware which I boot from.

The south bridge is ICH10 & no it does NOT have native SATA raid support.
That's strange. :confused:

Everyone else with an ICH10 southbridge does.....including mine.

lol wow lets all get bogged down in unimportant stuff. It does NOT have an ICH10R southbridge.

IT HAS A ICH10 SOUTHBRIDGE
THE R = RAID SUPPORT.

So no, it does not have raid on it. It has 6 SATA ports yes. It it currently holding 3 HDDs on it. I want to run raid - 0 & boot off of it.

Why do I have to explain all this nonsense? It shouldn't matter what I'm doing w/it. I'm asking for a PCI-E raid card w/2-4 SATA ports on it. All the rest of this is wasted time.

Either suggest a PCI-E card or don't respond. It's that simple. :p

And no NOT everyone w/a ICH10 southbridge can run Raid on it. I thought this was the storage section of the forums & I wouldn't have to go thru all this crap?

I'm not looking for suggestion or opinions. I don't care what you think I should do w/MY computer. I asked for a PCI-E raid card. That's it. :rolleyes:

I just noticed something ... w/all these responses I've gotten ONE(1) person that responded w/what I'm actually looking for. I guess that's why in 6.6 years I've posted in here so few times. Forums filled w/retards :rolleyes:

w/all these responses I've gotten ONE(1) person that responded w/what I'm actually looking for. I guess that's why in 6.6 years I've posted in here so few times.
I think the big problem is you did not mention the desire to boot from the RAID 0 array in your original post and the posters were trying to save you money.

This may be off topic, but I would try and unload the board you're using and use the cash from the raid card for a better board. You'll get better performance off of an ICH9/10r board than most ~$20-$50 cards on a 1x lane. Also booting off a raid array from the lowerend cards can be hit or miss depending on mobo compatibility. Keeping it simple makes for an easier setup.

For card recs though, I've used both a rocketraid 62x and a 2640x1 which can be a handful. (for the price of the 2640 you could get a new board and chip :p)

UMM yeah, not to ride anyone's jock, but has OP even spent a few minutes reading the posts on the [H] forums? The sheer quantity of quality responses keeps me from answering questions often. Some one posts a good question and usually in minutes there's a quality answer. I troll forums with retards, been doing it for 12+ years son. This place is defiantly NOT filled with retards.

lol wow lets all get bogged down in unimportant stuff. It does NOT have an ICH10R southbridge
Sorry for misreading your post and bogging down this thread that's never been discussed before. :)

Yes, I did a search & most cards that came up were $400-$1,000 raid cards w/SAS & eSATA connections I'm not looking for. That's why I figured I could ask a simple question about raid cards. I've only really used onboard raid. So I don't have a lot of experience w/raid car solutions. I've used them @ my work, but it's raid 5-10 set up w/those SAS cards I was talking about.

I've been shopping on newegg for about 3 weeks looking for a card, having no idea what I'm looking at.

A good card that has descent boot up times & can run raid-0 efficiently. Yea the board has 6 SATA connections, so I'm able to add more HDDs when i want.

So yea, sorry if I went nutty.
Oh, BTW selling the board & getting one w/raid? I'd love to do that. If you can find a ICH10R/ICH9R on a socket 775 board, that will run a .45nm Q9550 lemme know. There's none to be found. I wanted a Gigabyte EP-45 w/the ICH10R southbridge. They haven't made them in like 4 yrs. So once again, I'm back to my original question.

My favorite part of this whole experience is that some of you think I haven't done my homework before I posted this question. Like suggesting I buy a board w/raid on it. GENIUS, no kidding moron. You actually think I didn't think of that already? ROFL or setting up a software raid? Another genius. Also, not what I asked for. :rolleyes:

As far as me doing my research, how bout some of you actually READ the fuken post 1st, before you rush to respond, to pad your numbers!!!
All I asked for was suggestions on a Raid-0 card. :rolleyes:
Why would I want a raid-0 card if I wasn't planning on booting off it?
ROFL are you serious?
THIS IS THE STORAGE SECTION OF THE FORUMS?!?!?!?!

You have got to be kidding me :confused:

Although your response was nothing but being a douche (really, apologize and then chew us out?) A quick search on the forums here shows infact a $75 ICH10r board for sale and no less than 6 P45 based boards in the last month - your supposed search time. Link to the current forsale thread. Granted I wouldn't transact with you anyways at this point.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1605661&highlight=ICH10r
or an intel board(ich10R), new on newegg for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121355

also, prior 2 -4 port pci-e (some sata 3, some raid) card discussions - and while this is a guess your issues on finding quality posts is that most people try to avoid what your doing.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035608937
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582231
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1597525
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033788136

but your right, we obviously knew that you knew all of this. Sorry we wasted your time trying to help, how foolish of us.

I just noticed something ... w/all these responses I've gotten ONE(1) person that responded w/what I'm actually looking for. I guess that's why in 6.6 years I've posted in here so few times. Forums filled w/retards :rolleyes:

Dude, who's the 'tard here? YOU. Asking about "OS"? Jeebus what a newbie, and then you go to dis' the rest of the users?

When you don't provide better details you're not likely to get detailed answers. That's just Forum 101. There's no way for anyone to know what setup you've got or how to best expand it unless YOU post the details. Even something simple explaining that you've done other research on it. We don't need to know ALL the details, but you offered NO details.

Good luck trying to thrash your way through your stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back