Paper Sorcerer: Turn based indie rpg

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I know, another kickstarter thread. :rolleyes:

I would normally never back a low budget indie title but this game looks like it could have some serious potential. Its a turn based rpg inspired by the likes of Wizardry. Its all hand drawn and to be honest looks pretty good. I think that I might have to give this one a shot.

Here is the kickstarter link.

Gonna donate $25. I'm really surprised by the lack of backing. It's only gonna take him a couple more months to finish and the game looks great already. I'm glad he got the funding he needed.

So I'm assuming this is going to be done at some point, since the goal was reached and then some.

You know, back when I was coding games with friends (for fun, not work like now), we didn't do kickstarter, we just, y'know, made the game(s) in our free time. Why does everyone need money to make a game now? Are they outsourcing to India, or am I missing something?

So I'm assuming this is going to be done at some point, since the goal was reached and then some.

You know, back when I was coding games with friends (for fun, not work like now), we didn't do kickstarter, we just, y'know, made the game(s) in our free time. Why does everyone need money to make a game now? Are they outsourcing to India, or am I missing something?

Just part of the entitlement generation.

What Will My Pledge Do?

•Test devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc)
•Developer licenses (Android, iOS, Xbox, etc)
•Art supplies (Pens, nibs, brushes, markers, decent paper, lots of ink, etc.)
•Fees and taxes for setting up a small business
•Miscellaneous development costs

It doesn't appear to be true in this case, but generally speaking it's rare to find someone that can code, write a good story, come up with decent mechanics and produce all the art, sound effects, music and other assets necessary to make a game. Unless you have friends willing to work for free, that costs money. (And you're paying bills through all of this unless you're freeloading off someone.)

"Entitlement generation" - People should work for free if they produce electronic media like music, movies and games. The opposite applies for anything else. :rolleyes:

[edit] In for $25 - $57 more to hit the $8000 stretch goal.

Last edited:

Well, some people decided they wanted to create games that would be close to impossible without initial funding. Do you think Minecraft would look/play the same if it had $100k in initial funding?

Just part of the entitlement generation.

So people paying money to fund the development of a game, is part of the entitlement generation? I really hope you can explain how someone paying money for a service/item is entitlement.

What? All developers ask for money to make their games. Welcome to reality.

Why don't people understand what entitlement is?

Well, some people decided they wanted to create games that would be close to impossible without initial funding. Do you think Minecraft would look/play the same if it had $100k in initial funding?

So people paying money to fund the development of a game, is part of the entitlement generation? I really hope you can explain how someone paying money for a service/item is entitlement.

This isn't some big time dev team. It's one or a few people making it in their free time.

This isn't some big time dev team. It's one or a few people making it in their free time.

This is what I was referring to, some of these are just little groups I'm guessing. Are they funding cheetos and mountain dew + days off work to make some of these games?

I'm all for someone starting up a business with a considerable amount of cash, but when it's little projects and they're asking for cash to start them, idk.

This is what I was referring to, some of these are just little groups I'm guessing. Are they funding cheetos and mountain dew + days off work to make some of these games?

I'm all for someone starting up a business with a considerable amount of cash, but when it's little projects and they're asking for cash to start them, idk.

The guy lists why he needs money. He isn't exactly asking for much, and apparently people thought it was reasonable. This guy is making a game that will hit the market, not a basement project.

I guess you could just read the page or watch the video.

The guy seems to have talent. I would like to see what he can do. I'm more than happy to throw him a few bucks if it helps give him a start.

The guy lists why he needs money. He isn't exactly asking for much, and apparently people thought it was reasonable. This guy is making a game that will hit the market, not a basement project.

I guess you could just read the page or watch the video.

Yeah I got it.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was working on a game near completion I would imagine kickstarter would be a great way to advertise and make people aware of the game, even if the budget was extremely low and not needed.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was working on a game near completion I would imagine kickstarter would be a great way to advertise and make people aware of the game, even if the budget was extremely low and not needed.

I tend to agree here....

phase 1 advertise

phase 2 ?

phaste 3 profit

It got his project on RPG watch which is how I found out about it.

I made my donation today. I like that he laid out clearly what he was asking for and ultimately it's clear he will deliver whether the kickstarter succeeded or not.

If you notice the latest stretch goal meant he could afford some software that would help with the project.

The other reasons I donated were 1. because frankly there just aren't enough Dungeun crawlers in the world and 2. His art style is very heavily Mike Magnolia influenced. I think Hellboy and BPRD are better than sliced bread.

Gonna bump this one more time in case anyone hasn't seen it. Dude's at twice his goal now.

Wizardry/Shadowgate game looks incredibly welldone. Last chance to get this game for $3. This isn't a donate and forget situation. The game's tentatively being released in august/sept.

Last edited:
Beta's out! It exists and I've played it. ;)

[edit] Oops, I didn't see the comment from the dev Kickstarter page:

You can tell people that it exists and that you've played it, but mum on the details for now.

I think that's going to depend on the difficulty. The art style and music definitely set the mood, and the game itself feels like a mix between an adventure game and a party based RPG. There's not many games to compare it against but I'm getting an old school vibe from it.

I like it so far.

I'm pleased so far. Actually it reminds me more of Wizardry: Tales of the forsaken Land. It's a Wizardry that came out on PS2. The music is very very similar.

How's the beta testing going ... does it look like this will be launching soon ... how does the overall quality look?

Back