P8P67 won't load pass windows logo when Video drivers installed

azian13

n00b
Please help me out with your knowledge.
I've got a P8P67 Pro with i7-2600k not oc'd
EVGA GTX 460 768 MB not oc'd
TX 750w PSU

This is my 4th Video card and 3rd Mobo.
Early adopter of P8P67 so first mobo was having issues with booting and second was returned with the recall

in between my second mobo and 3r this issue was happening to me
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401

I RMA'd the video card and everything was fine until 4-5 months later where the same error occurred. I recieved my 3rd card and popped it in .. 30 mins into it i got the same error again! I was confident it was still the card because of that forum post above and after my first replacement which came in between my second and 3rd mobo it was fine.

Today i got my 4th replacement card. I can tell this was a brand new card and not re certified as it was packaged a bit differently with the film still on it to peel off or maybe its refurbished

This time it would boot up until the windows logo comes on and than a blank screen. The thing is it would run perfectly fine in safe mode with no crashes.
So I determined it must've been conflicting drivers. I formated with nothing installed and it was fine until windows updated and installed the Nvidia drivers.
which is similar to this fix http://drivers.downloadatoz.com/tuto...einstall.html+

I was going to RMA my board, but figured it may be no use if its just conflicting parts with the Asus P8p67 and the 460 or the 400 series and its drivers.

But here's the thing, if I pop the video card into the second PCIe slot and install drivers it runs perfectly fine!

So A) if i install drivers and run it on the 16x PCIe slot ( dark blue) it won’t boot up past the windows logo. but will boot up in safe mode.
B) if I take the card out and install it on the other PCI slot ( white ) it boots up with the drivers and so far hasn't crashed yet.

I'm trying to sell this replacement card to replace with ATI and see if that would help (going to find a friend with ATI) or should RMA the board anyways.

Please help with opinions or experience.

If the part number end's with RX it's refurbished

You can try updating the bios to the Free Performance Boost bios version (it's posted on evga's forums), that worked with one of the many many GTX 460 cards I went through with them. There's a bunch of info in my old thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1629107

You can also try putting any video card in the second slot, forcing the mobo to run the slots at 8x (that's from the nvidia thread)

They do not test the cards, regardless of what they say. I did motherboard swaps, psu, memory, hard drive, entire computer, and it was never my system that was the failure, it was the refurbished 460's.

Good luck man, those refurbished 460's are a major pain. In the end i was lucky enough to get a refund and went with AMD video cards (and I'm a HUGE nvidia fan)

If the part number end's with RX it's refurbished

You can try updating the bios to the Free Performance Boost bios version (it's posted on evga's forums), that worked with one of the many many GTX 460 cards I went through with them. There's a bunch of info in my old thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1629107

You can also try putting any video card in the second slot, forcing the mobo to run the slots at 8x (that's from the nvidia thread)

They do not test the cards, regardless of what they say. I did motherboard swaps, psu, memory, hard drive, entire computer, and it was never my system that was the failure, it was the refurbished 460's.

Good luck man, those refurbished 460's are a major pain. In the end i was lucky enough to get a refund and went with AMD video cards (and I'm a HUGE nvidia fan)

wow i thought i was being unreasonable being my 4th video card and pestering them. How did you get a refund?

I'm running it on the second slot right now and it runs perfectly! Can we still assume its hardware? Because as soon as I install drivers and run it on the first slot at 16x it locks up but it runs fine in safe mode and after formatting with no drivers installed.

I'm leaving this weekend so i'll have to do more trouble shooting.

I have a friend who said I can try running his ATI 5xxx gonna ask him to run this video card to see if it would do the same.

wow i thought i was being unreasonable being my 4th video card and pestering them. How did you get a refund?

I'm running it on the second slot right now and it runs perfectly! Can we still assume its hardware? Because as soon as I install drivers and run it on the first slot at 16x it locks up but it runs fine in safe mode and after formatting with no drivers installed.

I'm leaving this weekend so i'll have to do more trouble shooting.

I have a friend who said I can try running his ATI 5xxx gonna ask him to run this video card to see if it would do the same.
if it's running in the second slot fine, then it's the bug that's reported on nvidia's forums (and even confirmed by some manufacturer's), based on what i've seen in that thread, your prob fine with running the card for now, but who know's how long it's going to work.

how I got the refund: persistence and don't give up until they resolve it

Use the feedback links, the ceo/director links on the site, email all of them about the problems and be specific of your issue's you have had

At one point they upgraded my cards to the 1GB version, of course they where more refurbished junk that didn't work.

If I had known that process would take 6 1/2 months (from the first set of bad cards until i got the refund) I would have just junked the cards as I put way too much time and money troubleshooting them.

Back