Overclocking - Side effects?

IceDread

n00b
Hello!

So I'm reading a lot about screen OC of 1440p ips/pls screens to ~96-120Hz and it sounds very interesting.

I'm wondering about the side effects about overclocking the ips/pls... panels.

If I clock it up to ~100Hz will I get any blurry or other negative effects?

How does ~100Hz compare to it when in 60Hz mode?

Any differences in input lag when overclocking?

How does it compare to a TN 120 Hz? (I'm not interested in a TN at some low 1080p resolution)

Is there something I'm missing I should be aware of?

I'm thinking about getting a Qnix QX2710.

Thanks!

Well the 1440p models that can overclock to even 120hz do not have the same motion resolve as a 120hz TN panel and that's because while you are overclocking the frequency the actual pixels are not as fast at switching on 1440p panels as they are on 120hz TN panels. So the actual reduction in motion blur for 1440p panels at 120hz is something like 50 percent versus a 60hz 1440p panel. While a 120hz TN panel will have a much higher reduction in motion blur to the effect of something like 70-80 percent compared to a 60hz monitor TN panel (I believe my figures are right , someone correct me if not though).

However the benefits of 1440p are basically you'll be a panel that doesn't have the negatives that a TN panel does (1440p comes in IPS or PLS that can overclock) but with reduced motion blur. Keep in mind as well there no guarantee that you'll even get 120hz or 110hz or even 96hz. You are taking a gamble with all of these 1440p overclockable monitors. But a retail 120hz or 144hz TN panel is guarantee to function at that refresh rate on a wider range of cards and will not be overclocking anything to achieve its refresh rate.

Input latency does not increase with overclocking. Some advice however , if you intend to game and you don't have a pretty decent GPU then the 1440p at 120hz will otherwise murder your GPU and you'll get pretty poor frame rates at 1440p. If you don't intend to game much then no worries just make sure you have a GPU that can handle overclocking (you can't use a basic video card to handle the task , it needs to have Dual Link DVI port).

Last edited:
Well the 1440p models that can overclock to even 120hz do not have the same motion resolve as a 120hz TN panel and that's because while you are overclocking the frequency the actual pixels are not as fast at switching on 1440p panels as they are on 120hz TN panels. So the actual reduction in motion blur for 1440p panels at 120hz is something like 50 percent versus a 60hz 1440p panel. While a 120hz TN panel will have a much higher reduction in motion blur to the effect of something like 70-80 percent compared to a 60hz monitor TN panel (I believe my figures are right , someone correct me if not though).

However the benefits of 1440p are basically you'll be a panel that doesn't have the negatives that a TN panel does (1440p comes in IPS or PLS that can overclock) but with reduced motion blur. Keep in mind as well there no guarantee that you'll even get 120hz or 110hz or even 96hz. You are taking a gamble with all of these 1440p overclockable monitors. But a retail 120hz or 144hz TN panel is guarantee to function at that refresh rate on a wider range of cards and will not be overclocking anything to achieve its refresh rate.

Input latency does not increase with overclocking. Some advice however , if you intend to game and you don't have a pretty decent GPU then the 1440p at 120hz will otherwise murder your GPU and you'll get pretty poor frame rates at 1440p. If you don't intend to game much then no worries just make sure you have a GPU that can handle overclocking (you can't use a basic video card to handle the task , it needs to have Dual Link DVI port).

Thank you.

I do intend to use the screen for gaming. I have an asus gtx 680 cu 2.

Thank you.

I do intend to use the screen for gaming. I have an asus gtx 680 cu 2.

Then you'll be good to go. You won't be able to hit over 100+ fps in newer games even with settings turned down so if that's important to you consider another GTX 680 as that will help keep your FPS rocking high.

I've heard from others that difference in motion on 96hz to about 105 is little to none so if you can maintain 96 fps better in more demanding games it'll provide you with a bit smoother overall motion reduction.

But really you want the max refresh rate to benefit from it as much as you can. I also highly recommend a thicker , better shielded Dual Link DVI cable. I bought a 24 gauge one off Monoprice for cheap and versus the stock cable it actually made a difference (less visual artifacts , weird scan lines disappeared).

Happy 120hz 1440p fun time otherwise :)

Then you'll be good to go. You won't be able to hit over 100+ fps in newer games even with settings turned down so if that's important to you consider another GTX 680 as that will help keep your FPS rocking high.

I've heard from others that difference in motion on 96hz to about 105 is little to none so if you can maintain 96 fps better in more demanding games it'll provide you with a bit smoother overall motion reduction.

But really you want the max refresh rate to benefit from it as much as you can. I also highly recommend a thicker , better shielded Dual Link DVI cable. I bought a 24 gauge one off Monoprice for cheap and versus the stock cable it actually made a difference (less visual artifacts , weird scan lines disappeared).

Happy 120hz 1440p fun time otherwise :)

Nice =)

I think 96 Hz will be good enough but I guess I'll have to experiment a bit.

Thanks for the tip about dual link dvi cable, didn't think that would make a difference actually.

One Qnix QX2710 is ordered, now all I can do is hope and wait... I hate dead/ stuck pixels...

Back