Overclocking my 4090 FE?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I finally picked up a 4090FE and bult a new computer based off a 7800X3D. This was kinda forced because I also upgraded my Monitor to the 57" Odysse. The monitor was great for work as a software engineer, but has also caused me to upgrade the computer to play modern games, thus the push to waste a bunch of money.

Right now I am trying to get MWIII to stay over 120 FPS. It is very close but has some dips.

Also, I put the 4090FE into a Heatkiller waterblock, it has a 600watt cable, and a new 1500 PSU to power it.

So what can I do with this thing? Most people seem to be undervolting it, but I don't think I'm interested in that. What I need is a little more speed so I can turn up the graphics settings. I'm sure other games will push this card even harder, and the card will struggle more. This monitor really needs next gen cards to work properly (4090 does not have display port 2.0 on their cards, so im hardware locked to 120htz instead of 240 htz anyways). So ya I bought the card understanding I will really need to get a next gen card eventually to properly run some games, but I'm ok with that as it is worth it for work purposes alone. I'm ok with 120fps for now as I have never had a 120fps capable machine before, let alone at this resolution.

Some research has shown that more recent cards maybe be voltage locked in the bios, but I don't understand all the ramifications or how I can tell what voltage my card is at. I unfortunatly forgot to take a picture with the core cleaned off (not sure if that would be helpful anyways). I don't see anything in afterburner that tells me if I have a -300 or -301 core. I can increase voltage in MSI afterburner, but it shows as % rather than in mv like most atricles are suggesting. Maybe I don't need to mess with this anyways? Do I instead only need to increase the maximum power limit?

Thanks in advance.

if you have afterburner installed, move the sliders up. or turn some settings down in game to get 120. its not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
Undervolting can be used to over clock a gpu by increasing the amount of TDP head room of it's power budget P=IV . Lowering the voltage of the formula in small increments allows for increasing the current and core speed without hiitting the 600 watt TDP where throttling will occur. Perhaps you should reconsider using this method as it would be a bit naive not to but at least your doing your research. Over clocking really is quite simple but there are caveats. Mostly it's trial and error and a bit of luck with regards to the silicon lottery. Condensing it down to it's simplest methodology is undervolt the core as much as possible while maintaining core stability under load and providing sufficient power and cooling to keep it from bursting into flames or crashing the game and/or the OS.

Undervolting can be used to over clock a gpu by increasing the amount of TDP head room of it's power budget P=IV . Lowering the voltage of the formula in small increments allows for increasing the current and core speed without hiitting the 600 watt TDP where throttling will occur. Perhaps you should reconsider using this method as it would be a bit naive not to but at least your doing your research. Over clocking really is quite simple but there are caveats. Mostly it's trial and error and a bit of luck with regards to the silicon lottery. Condensing it down to it's simplest methodology is undervolt the core as much as possible while maintaining core stability under load and providing sufficient power and cooling to keep it from bursting into flames or crashing the game and/or the OS.
Without adding any voltage right now I am runing +250 core and 1250mhz memory and the card seems to be peaking at about 47c in a fairly warm room. Max power to the card was recorded at 475 watts while in gaming.

Last edited:
Without adding any voltage right now I am runing +250 core and 1250mhz memory and the card seems to be peaking at about 47c in a fairly warm room. Max power to the card was recorded at 445 watts while in gaming.

445 watts in MW3? How much more is that compared to undervolting? 150-180 watts? I will never understand this. Where is the actual benefit? This game already runs at 120fps on average. Who cares about some dips with GSYNC/VRR? It won't make you a better player. Imagine turning on like 20-30 LED lights in a room for nothing.

445 watts in MW3? How much more is that compared to undervolting? 150-180 watts? I will never understand this. Where is the actual benefit? This game already runs at 120fps on average. Who cares about some dips with GSYNC/VRR? It won't make you a better player. Imagine turning on like 20-30 LED lights in a room for nothing.
No I'm dipping below 120fps. Trying for a solid 120fps to avoid jerky screens. I don't know, I haven't figure out undervolting yet. GPU rail is reading 639v available. I feel like solid 120fps or above should be attainable.

No I'm dipping below 120fps. Trying for a solid 120fps to avoid jerky screens. I don't know, I haven't figure out undervolting yet. GPU rail is reading 639v available. I feel like solid 120fps or above should be attainable.

The 57" Odyssey has VRR so there should not be any jerkiness. At least if we are talking about normal FPS fluctuations and not frametime spikes/issues.

I think it might be a CPU bottleneck. Last time i checked a 14900K+7800MHz RAM was doing better than your results especially with 1% lows. Graphical settings are the GPUs job. FPS typically is the GPUs job but is usually the CPU that's the cause for lower FPS. It doesn't have the steam to push it faster. The 7800X3D is good but It might struggle to keep the frames consistent sometimes.

I didn
I think it might be a CPU bottleneck. Last time i checked a 14900K+7800MHz RAM was doing better than your results especially with 1% lows. Graphical settings are the GPUs job. FPS typically is the GPUs job but is usually the CPU that's the cause for lower FPS. It doesn't have the steam to push it faster. The 7800X3D is good but It might struggle to keep the frames consistent sometimes.
I watched the full video but the benchmarks are in 1440p.. I'm running about 4.5x that resolution, pretty sure the GPU is the bottleneck. 7680x2160 vs 2560 x 1440 like in the video. CPU difference should be negligable as the GPU is the bottleneck. At lower resolutions like 1440 the CPU comes more into play as it has to keep up with the GPU.
However I'll investigate CPU usage and get back later.

So I setup an overlay to show CPU Usage and I'm rarely even hitting 40% for the CPU, while GPU is pretty much pegged 98-99%
I don't know how the guy in the video is showing the 1% though.

Last edited:
I didn

I watched the full video but the benchmarks are in 1440p.. I'm running about 4.5x that resolution, pretty sure the GPU is the bottleneck. 7680x2160 vs 2560 x 1440 like in the video. CPU difference should be negligable as the GPU is the bottleneck. At lower resolutions like 1440 the CPU comes more into play as it has to keep up with the GPU.
However I'll investigate CPU usage and get back later.

So I setup an overlay to show CPU Usage and I'm rarely even hitting 40% for the CPU, while GPU is pretty much pegged 98-99%
I don't know how the guy in the video is showing the 1% though.
Oh at that resolution no graphic card can keep up. The 4090 is the 👑 and that's that. Either lower settings or resolution if possible.

I used NVDIA control panel to optimize the game and it took me well over 200 FPS but it didn't look as good. Seemed to want me to be able to do over 200fps since the monitor can handle 240htz, unfortuntatly the 4090 can't display 240htz at this resolution since it does not have display port 2.0. I think I may aw well just turn the graphics back up, maybe find a setting to get a constant 120.

turn some settings down in game to get 120
Like pendragon1 said...
I used NVDIA control panel to optimize the game and it took me well over 200 FPS but it didn't look as good. Seemed to want me to be able to do over 200fps since the monitor can handle 240htz, unfortuntatly the 4090 can't display 240htz at this resolution since it does not have display port 2.0. I think I may aw well just turn the graphics back up, maybe find a setting to get a constant 120.

Increasing voltage is a bad idea with the stock BIOS. You'll just end up hitting the PWR perfcap harder and quicker. You can try a BIOS with a higher power cap now that modding the BIOS has become possible. A 550W cap should allow you to get to a stable 3 GHz.

Hey guys, I finally picked up a 4090FE and bult a new computer based off a 7800X3D. This was kinda forced because I also upgraded my Monitor to the 57" Odysse. The monitor was great for work as a software engineer, but has also caused me to upgrade the computer to play modern games, thus the push to waste a bunch of money.

Right now I am trying to get MWIII to stay over 120 FPS. It is very close but has some dips.

Also, I put the 4090FE into a Heatkiller waterblock, it has a 600watt cable, and a new 1500 PSU to power it.

So what can I do with this thing? Most people seem to be undervolting it, but I don't think I'm interested in that. What I need is a little more speed so I can turn up the graphics settings. I'm sure other games will push this card even harder, and the card will struggle more. This monitor really needs next gen cards to work properly (4090 does not have display port 2.0 on their cards, so im hardware locked to 120htz instead of 240 htz anyways). So ya I bought the card understanding I will really need to get a next gen card eventually to properly run some games, but I'm ok with that as it is worth it for work purposes alone. I'm ok with 120fps for now as I have never had a 120fps capable machine before, let alone at this resolution.

Some research has shown that more recent cards maybe be voltage locked in the bios, but I don't understand all the ramifications or how I can tell what voltage my card is at. I unfortunatly forgot to take a picture with the core cleaned off (not sure if that would be helpful anyways). I don't see anything in afterburner that tells me if I have a -300 or -301 core. I can increase voltage in MSI afterburner, but it shows as % rather than in mv like most atricles are suggesting. Maybe I don't need to mess with this anyways? Do I instead only need to increase the maximum power limit?

Thanks in advance.
Watch this video carefully:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMIyGuSOA_0&t=932s

Take notes. Watch again if needed. Apply the same steps to overclocking your 4090. Done!

Your listed components are already overkill so all you need to do is learn the techniques from the video and follow them.

Back