Oracle Patches Security Issues with Java 7 Update 13

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In what is turning out to be the Java patch-of-the-week, Oracle has altered its release schedule by almost three weeks to address serious vulnerabilities with a patch aimed at the Apple market due to the recent disabling of Java 7 on OS X systems, but recommended for all platforms.

Oracle "strongly recommends" applying the CPU fixes as soon as possible, saying that the latest Critical Patch Update contains 50 new security fixes across all Jave SE products.

I for one will never load anything from Apple again on any of my computers. I still have ghost scripts running after deleting itunes and the other apple/java crap. If your router is locked down. then every time you goto a secure site apple whats to load a plug in. apply is one of the last companys i want hanging around my log in screens.

Does this sound like a strong contender for a ground up re-write?

Does this sound like a strong contender for a ground up re-write?

This and Flash are like dinosaurs of a bygone era when animated GIF images were backgrounds and Geocities was that neighborhood you didn't want to visit but was drawn to anyway.

Both Java and Flash either need to:
  • Go open source, let the community and more knowledgeable developers fix their damn problems.
  • Kill them off, start from scratch, and build a new one that's more efficient and 98.999% bugless.

I for one will never load anything from Apple again on any of my computers. I still have ghost scripts running after deleting itunes and the other apple/java crap. If your router is locked down. then every time you goto a secure site apple whats to load a plug in. apply is one of the last companys i want hanging around my log in screens.

WTF does Apple have to do with this.

I like how this fix is on the central processing unit according to the article. I guess little nano bugs polish the wafers or something.

When I read this, I had a mental picture of the beginning of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

B: "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a secure Java out of my hat!"
R: "That trick never works."
B: "This time for SURE!"

This and Flash are like dinosaurs of a bygone era when animated GIF images were backgrounds and Geocities was that neighborhood you didn't want to visit but was drawn to anyway.

• Go open source, let the community and more knowledgeable developers fix their damn problems.
  • Kill them off, start from scratch, and build a new one that's more efficient and 98.999% bugless.

Java 7 is open source. The reference implementation for Java 7 is OpenJDK. The only major part that is closed source is the web browser plug-in; the rest of Java is secure. I suggest used Iced Tea instead of the Oracle plugin.

Aren't something like 78% of the exploits on PC due to Flash and Java? I'm doing fine without Java. Would love to be able to dump Flash, but still too much Flash content out there.

While I agree, I don't see this happening as Java, more so than Flash, runs on just about every platform and is processor/system architecture agnostic.
There is simply too much of a demand and existing systems and software that require it at the moment for it to be replaced.

As an analogy, it would be like finding a replacement for x86 processors when software, OSes, drivers, etc. are already written and in heavy-use in the market place.
Replacing it would be far too costly and impractical at this point.

I could be wrong but my java problems started after i loaded itunes

It said something like Oracle wants to load a java script plugin for what ever with apples name in there. and was doing it on my login screens for forums ,stores and news. I have since reloaded both java and itunes just to uninstall them from there file and not the Control Panels Programs and Features.
So i can't say for sure what it said word for word. but my problem seems fixed.

Back