One of my drives died...

CanesVenetici

Limp Gawd
One of my drives died in my raid-0 array. I've been running two 74 gig raptors as my main partition for many years and had no problems with them. Yesterday while doing light browsing my system hung. I reset it and it looked like it was booting up fine, it just never got off the vista loading screen. Both drives spin up fine and when vista first starts loading I swear that they're both cranking away, but then one just starts clicking. Any ideas?
When I boot my system up and it detects the arrays it says it's healthy, so that means my data is still intact, right?
I don't have the $800 - $3500 to send it to a service, but there is data on there that I do need.
I know, never keep anything important on a raid 0 array. I had backups, but due to an external failure I lost them. Got a new external but hadn't gotten around to backing up yet.

If you can freeze both drives an hour, hurriedly put them in the
case while frozen, if it is recoverable "that way" you may be
able to copy data off until they warm up in 5-10 minutes or so.
Then repeat. If that particular failure is not the type your drives
suffered, no help probably... (omitting how-to and to-where
to copy data off, or determine which drive, or...)

Already tried freezing them, had them in ziplock bags to prevent condensation.
When I took them out they were too frozen to even spin up.
Still didn't read

If you have backups, then there's nothing to worry about.

Of course, it all depends on how recent the backup may be. I hope in your case, it's not that outdated.

Raid 0 + Important Data + No backups = Good lesson for everyone!

If you'v already tried the freezer trick the only thing you can do is keep trying and pray.

Lets say it's more outdated than I'd like.
I had files on there that i need for an arbitration and eventually a lawsuit.
I have physical copies that I can rescan, but I'd like the original files.
In any case I'm kicking myself in the ass for not having copies on every drive plus on my zune.
:(

Lets say it's more outdated than I'd like.
I had files on there that i need for an arbitration and eventually a lawsuit.
I have physical copies that I can rescan, but I'd like the original files.
In any case I'm kicking myself in the ass for not having copies on every drive plus on my zune.
:(

You had mission critical data on a RAID 0 array for a lawsuit? Man, you gotta be smarter than that; what did you need the additional performance benefit that RAID 0 would offer you? RAID 1 would've been a preferable step, but even RAID 1 isn't a substitute for backups.

I guess this is just a lesson to be learned...pick up the pieces and move on. :(

Back