“OMG” Is Almost 100 Years Old

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ugh. Can you believe that OMG is almost 100 years old? Well, the bright side is at least it isn't that lame ass YOLO saying. :D

In a quite lovely bit of sleuthing, the Oxford English Dictionary has discovered a use of"OMG" from 1917 [1]. It comes in a letter by British Admiral John"Jacky" Fisher, who wrote that: I hear that a new order of Knighthood is on the tapis—O.M.G. (Oh! My God!)—Shower it on the Admiralty!

and it took this long to get the "ermahgerd" meme? *sigh* the internet is slipping!

Well, the bright side is at least it isn't that lame ass YOLO saying. :D

I despise "YOLO". Every time someone says I want to repeatedly beat their face in while yelling "YOLO!!!" in their face.

I despise "YOLO". Every time someone says I want to repeatedly beat their face in while yelling "YOLO!!!" in their face.

"It is what it is" is much more annoying than "You only live once".

How about "ZOMG", for whatever the "Z" means. :confused:

people who pronounce OMG says Oh Em Gee, but those who try to sound out OMG says zohmigod.

At least I think so. Never heard anyone say it. It just sounds out like that in my mind when I see ZOMG in game chats.

IMHO ZOMG is the more extreme version of OMG. If you're some woman that I'm placating telling me about your day you probably get a "OMG. That sucks".

If you say something that is crazy and legitimately makes me think OMG! Then you get a ZOMG! lol

I'm guessing the "F" to OMG was added sometime later...

"OMFG! We won the war!"

people who pronounce OMG says Oh Em Gee, but those who try to sound out OMG says zohmigod.

At least I think so. Never heard anyone say it. It just sounds out like that in my mind when I see ZOMG in game chats.

IMHO ZOMG is the more extreme version of OMG. If you're some woman that I'm placating telling me about your day you probably get a "OMG. That sucks".

If you say something that is crazy and legitimately makes me think OMG! Then you get a ZOMG! lol
I would've consulted Urban Dictionary, but that's blocked at work. I have a feeling it's like what either of you say.

ZOMG is the ironic/sarcastic omg.

"Did you know the sky is blue"
"Zomg, really?"

"That prositute I slept with last month is pregnant"
"Zomg, didnt see that coming.."

zomg happens because people in game suck at hitting shift and hit z instead.

That's what I always thought. Never considered that it might mean something, just figured it was some kid getting too exciting and not being able to type "ZOMG!!~~111" oh something.

Also, YOLO? wtf? I've never heard of that one, I must be getting old and the kids must be getting dumber, get off my lawn!!!

I thus on this day do decree it's permanently revised to OMS or OME.

Person_1 - We successfully landed another rover on mars!
Person_2 - OMS

Person_2 - I seen a guy with three nipples.
Person_1 - OME

I thus on this day do decree it's permanently revised to OMS or OME.

Person_1 - We successfully landed another rover on mars!
Person_2 - OMS

Person_2 - I seen a guy with three nipples.
Person_1 - OME

Erm, what do those mean? :p

That's what I always thought. Never considered that it might mean something, just figured it was some kid getting too exciting and not being able to type "ZOMG!!~~111" oh something.

Also, YOLO? wtf? I've never heard of that one, I must be getting old and the kids must be getting dumber, get off my lawn!!!

YOLO stands for You Only Live Once.

I punched some kid in the face for saying YOLO.

YOLO is actually a good motto to live by - have fun, live a stress free life, you only live once. Recently a bunch of dumb asses decided that the "YOLO" motto gives them a justification to do the dumbest things. I wouldn't mind handing out Darwin awards to some of these people.

I looked up ZOMG on UD:
Urban Dictionary said:
1. zOMG is a varient of the all-too-popular acronym "OMG", meaning "Oh My God".

The "z" was originally a mistake while attempting to hit the shift key with the left hand, and type "OMG"

Also used in all-caps, 'ZOMG' is generally used in a sarcastic manner, more often than not a humiliating fasion. It is also used as a device for stating the obvious.
"zOMG! you r teh winz!!one!!eleven!"

Back