Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

I haven't yet to play this game for myself, but one of my good friends is hooked on it. Is the free to play worth getting just as itself? Or is it only worth it to subscribe? I really don't want to be shelling out cash per month because I just don't have time for consistent monthly gaming. Thanks!

------------------------------
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't yet to play this game for myself, but one of my good friends is hooked on it. Is the free to play worth getting just as itself? Or is it only worth it to subscribe? I really don't want to be shelling out cash per month because I just don't have time for consistent monthly gaming. Thanks!

Jack

From what it sounds like it's worth it until you hit the level cap.

Jack

I enjoy it, but I went in expecting a 1p game with teaming up from time to time. and it works. I like the story and the characters as I'm a star wars nerd, but my 2 cents.

I believe this is true for the most part, though it sounds like theyve added quite a bit of endgame content. If anybody looking to get into the game, i will say Spend atleast 5 bucks and save the cartel coins, to get preferred status. Its not a huge difference from free2play, but its a slight step into the right direction. Though with the 25% xp nerf preferred/f2p has, it still makes it feel like a "Grind".

Also, the imperial sides seem to have better overall stories then the republic. In particualr the imp agent is really, really good if you like james bond/spy movies. The republic story lines from my understanding, tend to suffer from the be good shoes they show in the movies.

Statements like these make it hard to read your posts without thinking at least some of this rage is directed at me for wanting a harder challenge.

Nothing wrong with wanting challenges. I don't like elitist sounding comments. That's my take on what you've been saying. More challenge is fine but talking about the "1%" the way you have really comes across as "elitist."

I disagree completely. Having a challenge that you are unwilling to attempt with your current skill and gear makes a game feel like there's always a challenge around the corner. This is a good thing and should draw people in.

I don't disagree. I never said challenge was a bad thing. I just don't think the car analogy is a good one.

Bullshit. Games are made by a bunch of average people who take guesses at the way an economy and difficulty and what people will like and what they don't. Great MMOs are nothing more than lucky with the decisions they've made, and the ones that aren't simply waste away and die. By the statement above, RIAA knows what they're doing and the best path of buisness forward is to sue their customers and attempt to DRM their content to hell and back, despite hundreds of studies that suggest it is not the right approach.

Games are financed and distributed by businesses. They have certain requirements. It's not about the game itself. The business first approach shows in most of the games made today to varying degrees. I'm sure the developers want to make a great game but still have to meet the requirements set fourth by their distributors and financial backers.

Hell, lots and lots of companies thought and still think F2P isn't a viable business model, despite there being tons of F2P games that are MORE profitable than their non-F2P counter parts.

Fair enough.

And yes, I have I tried the game well before it went F2P I looked at the (lack of) quality end game content and went on.

The quality of the game is still improving. The end game content is pretty enjoyable in my opinion. When I quit playing in 1.2 (came back for 1.6) things were a lot different and much much worse.

Last edited:

Jack

Free to play has a ton of restrictions that really suck. If your going to play the game you should subscribe for at least a month and see what you think. You can get time cards so you don't have to deal with a recurring fee. Once your subscription expires you are preferred status forever. It's far less restrictive.

I disagree. The story lines are cool and all but once completed you need something to do. I hate level grinding so going through a bunch of alts isn't appealing to me. The raids, hard mode flashpoints, world bosses, etc. are a lot of fun.

I enjoy it, but I went in expecting a 1p game with teaming up from time to time. and it works. I like the story and the characters as I'm a star wars nerd, but my 2 cents.

That's pretty much how leveling generally feels. End game is a different story.

I believe this is true for the most part, though it sounds like theyve added quite a bit of endgame content. If anybody looking to get into the game, i will say Spend atleast 5 bucks and save the cartel coins, to get preferred status. Its not a huge difference from free2play, but its a slight step into the right direction. Though with the 25% xp nerf preferred/f2p has, it still makes it feel like a "Grind".

Also, the imperial sides seem to have better overall stories then the republic. In particualr the imp agent is really, really good if you like james bond/spy movies. The republic story lines from my understanding, tend to suffer from the be good shoes they show in the movies.

They have added tons of end game content. When the game first came out we had 5 or so hard mode flashpoints. 2 were faction specific so there were really 7 total. (If I recall correctly.) There were two operations and three warzones. Since 1.2 they added a lot. They've added more daily quests, more daily / quest areas, better daily rewards, 3 operations, multiple world bosses and 2 entirely new flashpoints, 1 new planet, 6 additional hard mode flashpoints.

They have added tons of end game content. When the game first came out we had 5 or so hard mode flashpoints. 2 were faction specific so there were really 7 total. (If I recall correctly.) There were two operations and three warzones. Since 1.2 they added a lot. They've added more daily quests, more daily / quest areas, better daily rewards, 3 operations, multiple world bosses and 2 entirely new flashpoints, 1 new planet, 6 additional hard mode flashpoints.

i knew they added quite a bit, thats almost comparable to what blizzard adds in all the patches in during wow expansions. lets see wows cata started out with 9 dungeons, 3 (4 bosses raids), 4.1 added 2 new dungeons, 4.2 added firelands raid (8 bosses) with firelands daily, 4.3 added 3 new dungeons, and Demon soul raid with 8 bosses.

overall swtor, not too shabby!

I disagree. The story lines are cool and all but once completed you need something to do. I hate level grinding so going through a bunch of alts isn't appealing to me. The raids, hard mode flashpoints, world bosses, etc. are a lot of fun.

I was referring to the limitations with the f2p. Jack was asking if it was worth playing for f2p and it is for the story/leveling.

I was referring to the limitations with the f2p. Jack was asking if it was worth playing for f2p and it is for the story/leveling.

Depends though - you can only have 2 characters of 8 class stories, so if you'd want to try something else, you will be badly limited in your choices.

Depends though - you can only have 2 characters of 8 class stories, so if you'd want to try something else, you will be badly limited in your choices.
And it's free... at which point, if you want more choices, you can pay...

Getting preferred only costs 5 bucks, and well worth it. You get 6 character slots, 350k credits max vs 200k, and sprint from the get go and many others. Well worth it for one time pay of 5 bucks.

Has anyone else started playing the new expansion Rise of the Hutt Cartel? I've been having a blast on the new planet so far. My 4890 is having some trouble keeping up however.

Has anyone else started playing the new expansion Rise of the Hutt Cartel? I've been having a blast on the new planet so far. My 4890 is having some trouble keeping up however.

Yea had a blast so far, hit 52 already before I gotta jet for work.

Performance wise, I think Makeb needs some performance tweaking. Alot of stuttered, and frame drop. And it's not just Nvidia because my Girlfriend on her 7950 2500k is having the same issues while we leveled together.

The developers implemented some effects not used elsewhere in the game as far as terrain goes. This hurt performance quite a bit. Additionally the areas in Makeb are generally larger than most in the game.

And the new HM FPs remind me of troll dungeons (zul'gurub and zul'aman), when they were released. They are doable, but you got to learn the mechanics and gear up properly - in BH gear you will struggle, in dread guard, they are okay, in arcanian gear... well, don't have the arcanian yet ;D

Luckily I've crafters of all professions, so getting the 66 mods for DreadGuard gear for my main tank was easy on my cybertech. Also loving the changes they done to juggernaut immortal tree. I'm having blast tanking on him again.

Of course the stats degradation was painful - went down from 29% def, 46% shield, 46% absorp to 18% def, 35% shield, 26 % absorb. But, according to all the math gurus and their analysis of all the data, absorption is now fairly useless on juggernauts, and you got to pump defense / shield (there is good discussion on guardian class forums, showing how to spread stats for tanks)... right now I'm still 150 defense rating short of optimum - though hoping with slicing missions reward changes in 2.0.1 I'll be able to get more purple mats and finally be able to make purple 29 augments.

And the new HM FPs remind me of troll dungeons (zul'gurub and zul'aman), when they were released. They are doable, but you got to learn the mechanics and gear up properly - in BH gear you will struggle, in dread guard, they are okay, in arcanian gear... well, don't have the arcanian yet ;D

Luckily I've crafters of all professions, so getting the 66 mods for DreadGuard gear for my main tank was easy on my cybertech. Also loving the changes they done to juggernaut immortal tree. I'm having blast tanking on him again.

Of course the stats degradation was painful - went down from 29% def, 46% shield, 46% absorp to 18% def, 35% shield, 26 % absorb. But, according to all the math gurus and their analysis of all the data, absorption is now fairly useless on juggernauts, and you got to pump defense / shield (there is good discussion on guardian class forums, showing how to spread stats for tanks)... right now I'm still 150 defense rating short of optimum - though hoping with slicing missions reward changes in 2.0.1 I'll be able to get more purple mats and finally be able to make purple 29 augments.

First post that actually sparked interest in me for the game. Assassin tanks any good? Just before I signed off for the last time they were nerfed into the ground along with my Bounty Hunter healer. I like numbers. :)

First post that actually sparked interest in me for the game. Assassin tanks any good? Just before I signed off for the last time they were nerfed into the ground along with my Bounty Hunter healer. I like numbers. :)

I'd say, that with recent stats down, they are more competitive to play and require good healers. With tankasins shield down to like 35% before DW, (from about 55), they soak lots of damage, and require good defense stats, as they have no mitigation from cloth armor.

But, they still have great agro tools and are perfect at keeping AoE threat... well, if they survive hits from multiple mobs, that is.

Yesterday run the new Athiss HM, with final boss at 680k health, and it was challenging for my juggernaut tank. Sometimes health drops fast, and you got to pop the defensive CDs (which sins miss), but it's all in the hands of healer now.

Here's the link to the maths discussion thread about tanking and stats:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

I've just hit level 55, and with a fully black hole / some campaign geared toon I must say that the lvl 55 HMs are overtuned if you are to compare them with lvl 50 HMs in starter gear. The mechanics are familiar and uncomplicated, but by god the DPS and healing needed are just total brick walls for any casual player. I would hate to see the average or casual player sloppily wipe his way through these places.

Damn, conversation on this game really picked up. Are that many of you actually playing? I quit shortly after release, was leveling up with a buddy, I think we only go to like level 20 or something.

Damn, conversation on this game really picked up. Are that many of you actually playing? I quit shortly after release, was leveling up with a buddy, I think we only go to like level 20 or something.

Still playing, have 14 characters, though only 4 I play, rest are crafting/gathering mules :) Hit recently 55 on my juggernaut, and having flaming fun :)

Just started playing again myself. Liking the changes and Makeb a lot so far, though I've yet to get to 55.

It's funny that all you read on the official forums is bitching about how much the game changed in 2.0. Well that's exactly what drew me back into the game!

Just started playing again myself. Liking the changes and Makeb a lot so far, though I've yet to get to 55.

It's funny that all you read on the official forums is bitching about how much the game changed in 2.0. Well that's exactly what drew me back into the game!

First rule of any MMO - avoid general forums :D Stay in class / crafting /community sections, but general forums are usually "biggest hive of scum and villanity" and you must be cautious there :)

First rule of any MMO - avoid general forums :D Stay in class / crafting /community sections, but general forums are usually "biggest hive of scum and villanity" and you must be cautious there :)

I would rule that for any games general forum. Ive spent a lot of time on halo forums, and it can be just as crappy.. Kinda ironic, that one of the biggest complaints on both forums, was developers not listening to them. With all the stupid ranting, you think?

I got my imp agent to 55, I havent been to all of it yet, but It looks to be one of the better if not the best looking planet yet. The changes to imp agents are definitely an quality of life improvement. It plays (atleast heals wise) mostly the same. They made resource management better, by removing stim boost every 30 seconds.. this week im focusing on my sage, so I will see what they done to them.

Last edited:

I would rule that for any games general forum. Ive spent a lot of time on halo forums, and it can be just as crappy.. Kinda ironic, that one of the biggest complaints on both forums, was developers not listening to them. With all the stupid ranting on the forums, you think?

I got my imp agent to 55, I havent been to all of it yet, but It looks to be one of the better if not the best looking planet yet. The changes to imp agents are definitely an quality of life improvement. It plays (atleast heals wise) mostly the same. They made resource management better, by removing stim boost every 30 seconds.. this week im focusing on my sage, so I will see what they done to them.

I would rule that for any games general forum. Ive spent a lot of time on halo forums, and it can be just as crappy.. Kinda ironic, that one of the biggest complaints on both forums, was developers not listening to them. With all the stupid ranting on the forums, you think?

Yeah you're right about official forums being bad, but there are occasional gems in there, you just have to deal with a lot of trash. :)

I have a sorc healer myself (imp sage equivalent) at 53. Most of the changes were to resource management there as well, mostly making it easier when using your sacrifice ability to regain force. Some other minor changes here and there to the healing tree, but mostly plays about the same.

So I downloaded the game and now it seems that they only allow me to have 6 characters total across all realms? When it initially went free I could play them all correct? Is there a way to deactivate some so I can switch between them?

General rule of MMO:

Increase a classes ability: The correct response is "about time"

Nerf a classes ability: The correct response is "They are ruining the game" or "I'm quitting" (but don't actually quit)

So I downloaded the game and now it seems that they only allow me to have 6 characters total across all realms? When it initially went free I could play them all correct? Is there a way to deactivate some so I can switch between them?

Yes they did that for a while, allowing former subscribers that had more then 2 play them all. when they gave preferred more character slots, they posted that shortly after they will make any nonscribers pick which ones up to 6 (former subs automatically get preferred) they wanted to play. I know when i went preferred from subscribe for a couple of days, it gave me an option of activating which ones. You can also buy extra characters slots up to 300..

Last edited:
Yes they did that for a while, allowing former subscribers that had more then 2 play them all. when they gave preferred more character slots, they posted that shortly after they will make any nonscribers pick which ones up to 6 (former subs automatically get preferred) they wanted to play. I know when i went preferred from subscribe for a couple of days, it gave me an option of activating which ones. You can also buy extra characters slots up to 300..

Oh well more handcuffs. I don't think I'll ever spring for another Collector's Edition of a game again. Lesson learned!

Thank you for the response. :)

Really loving the whole GSI and Dailies on Makeb, They are pretty easy, easy to get too, and in 1 spot (once you get the 66/69 stuff)

Going to try out the new Ops tomorrow with my guildies. Cant wait to see the storyline in Scum and Villiany.

Man THIS IS what Swtor should of been at release.....Only took them 16 months to get it correct.

Oh well more handcuffs. I don't think I'll ever spring for another Collector's Edition of a game again. Lesson learned!

I have to agree. I also bought the CE as well, and the ONLY thingy special we get is that CE Vendor...which did FINALLY get 1 new item in patch 2.0. Its a gold scanner for 100k. Looks pretty damn good on my trooper alt im leveling :)

But yea, us CE people got fucked over.

Yeah, another big kick in the teeth was seeing SWTOR Collector's Editions being clearanced out for $30 :( online. Yet they were supposedly in such limited quantity at launch that even though my box came in damaged, they couldn't replace it for me (heck, I asked for just a box top since that's what was damaged and was told it couldn't be done, they had no supply) :p. Still, I'm reading good things about the current state of the game, so I'm planning on playing for awhile :D.

seems like the game has made a dramatic u-turn...the skeptics seem to be coming around now...as a huge Star Wars fan I'm glad to see the turnaround...don't know what changed but it's good to see a game that had so much potential finally start to live up to the hype

Last edited:
Resubscribing and buying the expansion now... I'll take a week or so to see how things look. I may take the soft reset opportunity to change my main, too...

Resubscribing and buying the expansion now... I'll take a week or so to see how things look. I may take the soft reset opportunity to change my main, too...

Thats what I did, made a fresh Lightside guy. Bought alot of exp boosts, and off I went.

On the Cartel market, its more cosmetics and stuff tbh. If your sub, the stuff to unlock area's and mount etc if you people who usually dont sub, although you can pay to get a mount at lvl 10.

When/If you become a sub, you get 500 cartel points a month, and 100 for a security key token?

Also since you are coming back, make sure to log into ALL your guys as everything you achieved in your legacy's will actually give you even more cartel points. When I did that for myself I gained around 300.
If you buy anything from the cartel market, you have to wait 2 days before it unbinds, and you can sell your items.

All in all, to me the only way to actually enjoy the game is to be a sub.

Also if you never got HK-51, that is a pretty damn good questline. I was pretty impressed, and let me tell you...i paid cartel points to open up HK51 on one of my alts, and my god its funny as fuck seeing him assassinate a silver in 1 shot.

Anyway good luck and have fun.

Thats what I did, made a fresh Lightside guy. Bought alot of exp boosts, and off I went.

On the Cartel market, its more cosmetics and stuff tbh. If your sub, the stuff to unlock area's and mount etc if you people who usually dont sub, although you can pay to get a mount at lvl 10.

When/If you become a sub, you get 500 cartel points a month, and 100 for a security key token?

Also since you are coming back, make sure to log into ALL your guys as everything you achieved in your legacy's will actually give you even more cartel points. When I did that for myself I gained around 300.
If you buy anything from the cartel market, you have to wait 2 days before it unbinds, and you can sell your items.

All in all, to me the only way to actually enjoy the game is to be a sub.

Also if you never got HK-51, that is a pretty damn good questline. I was pretty impressed, and let me tell you...i paid cartel points to open up HK51 on one of my alts, and my god its funny as fuck seeing him assassinate a silver in 1 shot.

Anyway good luck and have fun.

Thanks, good to know... I ended up with about 2k cartel coins. I couldn't remember if I'd left myself wealthy or totally broke, turns out I have about 9mil credits and a good number of Black-Green & Magenta crystals hanging around which should be worth several more. I'm surprised how few credits the unlocks from the cartel coins sell for in terms of credits on the trade network. Where do I go to get HK-51, and does he then unlock for my lowbie alts too? :eek: Sounds like nice stuff if so ;), my main is a 50 Sentinel.

EDIT: Just bought 31 Major EXP boosts for around 12,000 credits each... and got a few cargo hold expansions :D. Life is good ;). And yeah, I wouldn't play as a non-sub since I'm after raiding & warzones.

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know... I ended up with about 2k cartel coins. I couldn't remember if I'd left myself wealthy or totally broke, turns out I have about 9mil credits and a good number of Black-Green & Magenta crystals hanging around which should be worth several more. I'm surprised how few credits the unlocks from the cartel coins sell for in terms of credits on the trade network. Where do I go to get HK-51, and does he then unlock for my lowbie alts too? :eek: Sounds like nice stuff if so ;), my main is a 50 Sentinel.

EDIT: Just bought 31 Major EXP boosts for around 12,000 credits each... and got a few cargo hold expansions :D. Life is good ;). And yeah, I wouldn't play as a non-sub since I'm after raiding & warzones.

dulfy.net Has all the guides you will need.

You only need two to three XP boosters to reach level 55 from level 50. The fastest way to gain XP is to do the weekly operations quests, EC Hard Mode and the Belsavis Section X and Black Hole and Ilum dailies. I barely had to touch Makeb to do it. Only takes 4-6 hours max to hit 55.

dulfy.net Has all the guides you will need.

Indeed.

66 gear pretty much sucks. The mods individually are a minor upgrade at best from 63's. About the most common improvement is increased endurance. For any class this is nice but unnecessary. The mods that suit Jedi Knight's and Sith Warrior's (DPS) best do almost nothing for your damage over being BiS 63's. For tanks the added endurance can be a worth while upgrade alone. Aside from that they are in pretty much the same boat.

Example:
Advanced Might Hilt 27
Strength - 72
Endurance -52

Advanced Might Hilt 28
Strength - 74
Endurance - 61

That's about nothing in terms of damage/DPS. Your health goes up a bit though from going to 66's. But it's neither worth the time or the effort to craft them really. The people making the money doing the crafting RE'ed 69's and are selling those. 72's aren't craftable currently. Dreadguard gear is good enough for most content. If you could clear TFB HM before 2.0 you probably still can though the improved gear makes it easier. Operator IX and TFB got a bit harder. I don't have any trouble clearing 55 HM's in 63's. With 69's and some 72's it's super easy to clear them.

Not only did stats degrade as you leveled but what was considered BiS isn't anymore. For example indications are that critical % no longer needs to be 35% but 20% or so. Accuracy is less important for melee classes with power/surge for them (at least Marauders/Sentinels/Juggernaut/Guardian) melee DPS classes being more important than it was even before 2.0.

66 gear pretty much sucks. The mods individually are a minor upgrade at best from 63's. About the most common improvement is increased endurance. For any class this is nice but unnecessary. The mods that suit Jedi Knight's and Sith Warrior's (DPS) best do almost nothing for your damage over being BiS 63's. For tanks the added endurance can be a worth while upgrade alone. Aside from that they are in pretty much the same boat.

Example:
Advanced Might Hilt 27
Strength - 72
Endurance -52

Advanced Might Hilt 28
Strength - 74
Endurance - 61

That's about nothing in terms of damage/DPS. Your health goes up a bit though from going to 66's. But it's neither worth the time or the effort to craft them really. The people making the money doing the crafting RE'ed 69's and are selling those. 72's aren't craftable currently. Dreadguard gear is good enough for most content. If you could clear TFB HM before 2.0 you probably still can though the improved gear makes it easier. Operator IX and TFB got a bit harder. I don't have any trouble clearing 55 HM's in 63's. With 69's and some 72's it's super easy to clear them.

Not only did stats degrade as you leveled but what was considered BiS isn't anymore. For example indications are that critical % no longer needs to be 35% but 20% or so. Accuracy is less important for melee classes with power/surge for them (at least Marauders/Sentinels/Juggernaut/Guardian) melee DPS classes being more important than it was even before 2.0.

I didn't have the 63... was in 61. Also, the 69 sets are useless for tanks. They have too many absorption/accuracy items, that they actually gimp your character, and require lots of itemization to make them viable, and substitute absorption for defense. Unless you get the lucky drop of 69 mod with defense and enhancement with endurance/defense/shield, it's no point to trade endurance over mitigation.

And yes, changes to secondary stats require adaptation... for sorcerer/sage healers, you can forget about crit rating, and just stockpile raw power.

Back