Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

thenixhex311 said:
I've heard they are actually better than the 07 (i think) not sure though. SUCKS you cant get a new 2405 other than taking a chance on ebay, right? Dell only sells the refurbed i thought

And forums. They do sell the 2405 for refurb but for 800 w/ shipping included. Ripoff.

hi guys..i just registered to this forum to ask you a few question about hte Dell 2407WFP.
I'm seriously considering buying it as an alternative to a TV..
since its a monitor and I want it to be a multimedia device (with a PC)..for watching DVDs,SVCDs, XVID and TV (via video card.), im curious if this is a good idea??...if for example, a TV in this price range can match up to the quality of picture, future connectivity etc?? Also, if I buy a video card and watch TV over it, will the quality match up or be worse or better than on a TV. Should I pass up on Dell if I mainly want to use it as a multimedia device for DVDs and TV or is this optimal for the price range?
Thanks in advance

Well I just ordered a 2407fpw last nightand had no idea rev a03 was out. I will let you guys know what rev I get when I recieve it. If its an A02 i will probably send it back for an A03.(Assuming A03 fixes the known issues)

Well, my new 2407 arrives on friday (hopefully), and I hope it's A03, otherwise it's going back.

Damnit, I just got my replacement from my first A02 today. I had a A02 China and now I got the Mexico one. Backlight isn't as bad but banding is still there.

Man, I want an A03 now. :p

There ARE NO A03's!!! None are currently planned either. So, your either stuck with an A02 with vertical banding and faulty quality component inputs, or listening to the brainwashing that it is all perfectly fine and dandy of a monitor. :D

thenixhex311 said:
There ARE NO A03's!!! None are currently planned either. So, your either stuck with an A02 with vertical banding and faulty quality component inputs, or listening to the brainwashing that it is all perfectly fine and dandy of a monitor. :D
Um... dude, did you read the last few posts of this thread?

Sweeett...hopefully its all been fixed as I was hoping a new revision would come out w/ it all fixed. Anyone know when its due to arrive here in the US of A?

DangerIsGo said:
Sweeett...hopefully its all been fixed as I was hoping a new revision would come out w/ it all fixed. Anyone know when its due to arrive here in the US of A?
Now? I certainly hope so.

How sure of that can you be? You know all the best and new stuff comes out in Japan first. Then days, weeks or even months later does it finally arrive in the US.

i love how those treads where people say 'hey I got this!!" and never provide any PROOF (i.e. pictures) to actually make us wondering if its someone telling the truth or just making up some more crazy rumors.

Now to only get more confirmation that this 'a03' exists and that all banding is fixed....MOST IMPORTANTLY that the component works better than it does now.

If that dell thread made sense to me, the upcoming benq fp241w is going to be just about the same as the dell, but with HDMI??? Why owuld you want to even get the dell then, other than to save a couple bucks if they are the same panel, etc.

i just got my replacement 2407wfp 2 days ago after my component inputs went out on my first one (both A02's). if this is true, i will be contacting dell ASAP to get a replacement. my only gripe with the A02's is that the component inputs had HORRIBLE image quality, and that forced me to buy a VGA cable for my 360 (which looks fabulous, btw). :D

I just recieved an e-mail with a 25% discount on the 2407WFP here in sweden, brings the price down to $1250, considering copping one

Hmmm...Im liking the benq fp241w with HDMI but I want to see hard reviews, not [H]ard although that would be nice! :D before I consider buying any monitor. Even if the Dell has an A03 and its fixed all the problems, HDMI sounds REALLY nice :cool: Dell better pick up their act if the BenQ is perfect

yeha, now to hear that there is NO NO NO NO vertical banding and the component quality doesnt suck ass, and we will be set.

so this monitor has life again huh...

i was holding off for the benq 24 incher, but if the dell one is going to be cheap and fixed.....

any pictures of said A03 yet without banding and fixed component?

Well I just got home from work tonight and had it waiting for me. I havent even opened it yet but I checked the box and I recieved a china built A02. I will set it up tomorow night and let you guys know what the deal is. I'm way too tired tonight.

This sucks. Didn't ChrisM on the Dell forums say that the A02 was going to be the last revision? I got an A02 off of Ebay like 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't have Ebayed it if I knew there was another revision coming out

Balls.

Well if you think about it if he says theres going to be an A03 coming out, and that spreads from forum to forum to forum...people wont buy until there it is fully out...meaning dell loses sales. So of course hes going to deny it even if he does know about it.

The guy who recieved the A03 is having worse problems than banding and picture quality his display dies out randomely he is unable to switch it off, he has to unplugt the power lol. Let's wait and see what the problem is.

Lets clarify some things. for everyone because I did a lot of reading for small conclusions.

Yes, Chris said there would be no revision. But I believe dell is doing exchanges or refunds for lcds within the warrentee period.

Supposidly there have been sitings on A03 models or whatever (saw the pics)
but Suppoidly is just like the old A00 for some reason.

All kind of confusing.

Either way. Sweet deal. We shall see how I like mine when it comes.

Unrelated to A03, here's some pics of my PS2 hooked up to my A02 unit via component. I think it looks great, maybe some of you with more discerning eyes may disagree. Soul Calibur 3 is running at 480p and GT4 is running at 1080i. Apologies for the blurry GT4 shots, if I hit pause, the menu blocks all the action.

Keep in mind, this is a PS2 people! Not an Xbox 360. So yes, the graphics aren't state of the art or anything, but pretty damn good for a 6 year old console!

since your ps2 is so old, its too hard to tell whether or not your having the infamous bad quality problems that plague every 2407wfp, because the graphics are so blocky, but thats exactly what happens to a 360...it looks blocky.

Well, I got mine today, and it's rev a02. :(

How should I go about checking for banding?

Try moving a grey image (like a datagrid control, microsoft outlook, etc...) around on a Dell 2407FPW. In between the grey and white areas, the window will turn pink when in motion. This is completely unacceptible when compared to a 2405FPW. I know the 2407FPW was plagued with banding issues on early revisions, but revision A02 should not be having these sort of problems. So far i have tested 4 panels on 4 computers and all exhibit the same behavior. Try it out, create a few rows of light grey and white stripes using paint brush, save the file, and open it. Then move it up and down on your display, or in the case of a datagrid control, simply scroll.

What do you think?

--Eric

I'm considering picking one of these up soon, and I have a couple of questions: Where is the best place to buy one, in terms of getting a good price/reliability? Secondly, this banding issue everyone is up in arms about, is it extremely noticible for someone like me who willl be using it for games/little bit of photoshop? I ask because things tend to get blow up online, and I don't want to get scared away from a great monitor over a small issue that is only apparent to profesionals.

1) get it from dell to avoid issues with warranties that may bring themselves up (like returning it for a revision).

2) gaming is great on this monitor, i play both 360 (through VGA mind you) and pc games constantly. no ghosting, great everything.

3) banding is only apparent when the monitor is set in multimedia and gaming mode, which do nothing but change brightness and gamma settings, so as long as youre in desktop mode you will not notice any banding.

Well, according to some of the pictures from the Dell Thread, a guy has some of his A02 and A03 side by side. The vertical banding on the A03 is completely gone. I think I will return my A02 to Costco sometime this week (gotta get the box out of the attic, ugh) and start trying for an A03, or maybe go for another monitor if I can find one I like that is sold locally. Well, maybe I will wait for a few more user reviews, heh.

ericshufro said:
Try moving a grey image (like a datagrid control, microsoft outlook, etc...) around on a Dell 2407FPW. In between the grey and white areas, the window will turn pink when in motion. This is completely unacceptible when compared to a 2405FPW. I know the 2407FPW was plagued with banding issues on early revisions, but revision A02 should not be having these sort of problems. So far i have tested 4 panels on 4 computers and all exhibit the same behavior. Try it out, create a few rows of light grey and white stripes using paint brush, save the file, and open it. Then move it up and down on your display, or in the case of a datagrid control, simply scroll.

What do you think?

--Eric

Try lowering the brightness to anything below 28.

i mean, how can they fix the banding in desktop mode and not in multimedia or gaming mode? why is it so hard for the other modes...its kind of silly or I might no understand anything...

Back