Odd Request: Reduce Sound from Pool Heater

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an odd request that I need some insight on. My neighbor has a pool heater that produces a 50-75hz low rumble when operating. It's able to travel through my exterior walls into my house. I talked with my neighbor and he's open to me designing a privacy wall around it and helping him build it. I've built similar walls already with pressure treated wood and composite wood siding, but these were only to hide garbage cans.

I'm wondering how to design the wall to reduce the amount of noise. How would I design it? I was thinking of decoupling the siding from the structure and then adding in a large amount of heavy material (maybe casting custom concrete panels and caulking all gaps) behind it. I'd have 4 to 5 inches of depth to work with. The goal isn't to eliminate but to just reduce. As it's a pool heater it cannot be capped. Minimum side distances per the manual will be maintained for the heater in relation to the wall.

Basically I'm looking how to absorb low frequency. Everything I read says "throw mass at it!"

Any insight would be apperciated. Thank you for your time!

Sound technically moves worse through air........ a big box/container/frame around it with some sort of airy foam filling it all in? But it would have to be something kept dry/sealed up to not inhibit growth in small pockets? I'm just pulling that all out of my ass TBH.

From my very limited understanding you seem to have to good idea, soft isolation type material can be nice for higher frequency but for subwoofer type sound, I am not sure you can get away with needing mass.

Low frequencies are hard to shield from. Can you isolate the heater from its ridged mount to inhibit the transfer of low frequencies.

Activly dampen it with a large subwoofer?

https://acoustiblok.com/portfolio-items/pool-pump-noise/
https://acoustiblok.com/2018/04/23/residential-pool-pump-enclosure/

might be able to get a 3x3 concrete pad, stand it up near it to reflect the sound away from your house. maybe layer it with high density packing foam see if it works then if it does. work on building something similar but more piratical.

i would also look in the mounting, it is possible with some improved stabilization you could change the frequency or greatly dampen it.

These are two Products that are glued together.

The grey fabric is the isolator for the low noise

I had luck whith this and a rumbling air compressor that i put on it.
So the Walls ought to have a light compresses fabric followed by rubber i recon.

If heat isn´t an issue i concur that glue/ liquid rubber helps a bit as well if sprayed all over as a vibration dump.
20230629_101705.jpg

OP hasn't been back for awhile guys. Nearly two weeks without a reply. Save your effort.

OP hasn't been back for awhile guys. Nearly two weeks without a reply. Save your effort.
Was gonna say plant some kudzu between him and the heater, that would fix it but this post is abandoned.

I hadn't realized anything warranted a reply yet. I've read all of them.

Was gonna say plant some kudzu between him and the heater, that would fix it but this post is abandoned.
OK Bob.

Neighbor went on vacation for a few weeks. So nothing to do until he gets back.

Back