Oculus secures 16 million funding

There's no reason why it would. Small 1080p panels have become well-commoditized.

I sincerely hope it's in that price range, but I'm guessing the 1080p version will set us back at least $500....

There's no way I would pay $500 for one (nor would a lot of people, probably), so I seriously hope not.

I based MHO, on the fact that the dev kit was $300.00....and that's 720p....

Last edited:
I -believe- they mentioned the current pricing is very doable for mass production of the 1080p prototype.

It actually sounded more like they were hoping to achieve >1080p with the final product.

I -believe- they mentioned the current pricing is very doable for mass production of the 1080p prototype.

It actually sounded more like they were hoping to achieve >1080p with the final product.

I can see that. We have phones with super-duper 1080p (high DPI) displays. The displays can't be all that expensive these days. My guess, $199 for 720p, $299 for 1080p.

What else is to it, besides software, plastic, and a motion tracker?

*edit*
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...als-IHS-iSuppli-Virtual-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

Samsung Galaxy S4 w/ Corning Glass & Touch Sensors, 5" 1080p Display, 441ppi = $75

Assuming a less ppi screen without the touch/corning would probably be $50 or so. Software R&D goes down depending the adoption rate, lower the entry price (cost to consumer), lower the R&D cost-per-unit. The motion/other is negligible. Add in shipping + packaging materials. The 1080p unit might cost roughly $100 to make (guesstimate). Wholesale for $175-$200. Retail for $249 to $299 - not bad margins.

Last edited:
right, because a cheap 1080p screen is totally comparable to a nice 1080p screen, lol...

"hey, the plastic can't cost all that much, I mean, it's basically the same as using a cereal box, right?"

I'm more concerned with game compatibility more than anything else. Right now it stands as a niche product.

The lead developers of three industry leading game development companies are on board (Id, Valve, Epic). What more do you want :p

The heft isn't really an issue, but simulator sickness and eye fatigue are issues. The latter no more so than staring at a standard display without breaks, but the former's still a big problem. You have to train yourself to be able to deal with simulator sickness, and it takes time.

I'm finding that you can only comfortably 'trap' yourself in VR for about 30 minute blocks before the sim sickness starts to get nasty and eye fatigue starts to set in, at which point you should probably take a 10-15 minute break. Realistically, it's not much different than what you should do ordinarily, but it's much harder to ignore with VR.

I think the simulator sickness will depend heavily on how well it's implemented. If they have fucking extreme head swaying I'm sure I'll be keeling over in about 5 minutes.

I'm interested to try one though, I hate 3D at movies or on conventional TVs/monitors, I wonder how it'll be on this.

I keep reading article after article about skeptics who get a chance to try the Rift and get their minds subsequently blown. Everything I hear says this device is the real deal - but will people buy it - we shall soon see.

Heck YES people will buy it.
Up until now VR and stereo 3d have been a HACK. The old tech failed to "trick" your brain that what you are seeing is a real environment. To your brain it was no more convincing than a 3D bubble gum card.
This is why so many people think 3d is just a passing fad. A cheap effect that is cool for about 5 minutes.

The mission of the Oculus team was to develop a system that was successful in making your brain think what it was seeing was real. That is the blown away effect people have.
I really think this is the next evolution of gaming. Regular displays will NOT be the preferred way of playing computer games anymore. From there on it's growth will be explosive and several (big money) corporations will develop their own and likely superior versions.

But I think there will be a very dark side to this tech also.
There will be a rather large segment of people that will prefer the fantasy world to the real. It will become just a real or MORE real to them because they invest so much emotionally in it.
We actually see this kind of thing already to a certain degree. But consider the games people "loose themselves in" becoming totally convincing to their senses.
For some reason I'm thinking of "the Matrix" now. ;)

I'd like a 1080p version.

To all those saying a 1440p or 1600p version...what kind of graphics power do you have?! You do realize you have to render dual 1440/1600p screens right? I mean, if you can do that more power to you...

The lead developers of three industry leading game development companies are on board (Id, Valve, Epic). What more do you want :p

I didn't realize Epic was a "leading game development company"... :D

Also...Valve still makes games? :p

Can't wait. Most of us wear heavy headsets for the best sound, why is it suddenly a crime to wear goggles?

I'd get one ONLY if there were games that had "league modes" that required everyone in the match to be using a rift, so everyone was on an even playing level.

I'm sure there will be OR-only servers. More importantly... my order is finally arriving in a few days after 6 months of waiting! Woot.

I'd like a 1080p version.

To all those saying a 1440p or 1600p version...what kind of graphics power do you have?! You do realize you have to render dual 1440/1600p screens right? I mean, if you can do that more power to you...

No, the resolution is split between your eyes. You only render a single 1440p/1600p screen.

I'd get one ONLY if there were games that had "league modes" that required everyone in the match to be using a rift, so everyone was on an even playing level.

Why?
We don't see separate servers for Eyefinity and one monitor folk, so what is the point in that? It's not like its keyboard+mouse vs. controllers. I supposed if its some official Lan championship, but just regular internet playing? Seems paranoid.

Not paranoid. The guy's just a sore loser. You'd be pretty excited to play with the Oculus anyway :)

if a game has a ton a key binds, i think i would prefer Track IR over Rift.

Back