OC Intel7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

greyx

Limp Gawd
The CPU is revision C0 / C1
Can you tell me, please, if i can OC my CPU with the stock cooler ?
I wanna change it from 2.67 GHz to 3.1 / 3.2 GHz.
Would that be ok ? What do i have to modify in BIOS ?
I never OC, so i need some help, please.
PS : With OC is a major difference ( on gaming ) ?
Thanks in advance.

Can you tell me, please, if i can OC my CPU with the stock cooler ?

Would that be ok ? What do i have to modify in BIOS ?

PS : With OC is a major difference ( on gaming ) ?
Thanks in advance.

You can, but it's not optimal. It has limits to it's ability to cool higher OCs.

You'll have to decide that when you see what temps it produces. Start with the BCLK (Base CLocK). What speed is your RAM rated for? I'd start with 150(BCLK)x19(Multi)=2850MHz That will run your RAM at 1200MHz. (I'll assume you have 1333MHZ.) So that will be underclocking your RAM, but that is good to see what the BCLK can do without the RAM becoming unstable. See how that does with temps.

It can if it's a decent OC. I saw 15+ FPS on Fallout NV when I went from 3.06GHz to 4.2GHz. (It's a CPU heavy game. Though it's not optimized well for multi-threading.)

Good luck.

" You can, but it's not optimal. It has limits to it's ability to cool higher OCs"
Are you talkin' about the CPU or the cooler stock ?
I have 3 GB DDR3 - 1333 speed . but when i reset the PC, i see there 1066 MHz
Anyway . So, from 3.06 GHz to 4.2 GHz, you have only 15 FPS more ?
I received today some advices on another forum, and many people said do not OC the CPU, if only for gaming.

" You can, but it's not optimal. It has limits to it's ability to cool higher OCs"
Are you talkin' about the CPU or the cooler stock ?

I have 3 GB DDR3 - 1333 speed . but when i reset the PC, i see there 1066 MHz

Anyway . So, from 3.06 GHz to 4.2 GHz, you have only 15 FPS more ?

I received today some advices on another forum, and many people said do not OC the CPU, if only for gaming.

The cooler. It's of low quality for OCing.

You need to set the RAM manually in the BIOS. (Or use the XMP option. I prefer manual.)

Yes, 15+ FPS, as I have it v-synced so it's locked at 60 max. (Avoids tearing.)

It's up to you, I disagree though. A 15+ FPS increase is nothing to sneeze at in my opinion.

You can OC on the cooler but you're not going to get far, be absolutely positively sure you're in check with heat at all times if you plan to keep it permanent.

You can, but it's not optimal. It has limits to it's ability to cool higher OCs.

You'll have to decide that when you see what temps it produces. Start with the BCLK (Base CLocK). What speed is your RAM rated for? I'd start with 150(BCLK)x19(Multi)=2850MHz That will run your RAM at 1200MHz. (I'll assume you have 1333MHZ.) So that will be underclocking your RAM, but that is good to see what the BCLK can do without the RAM becoming unstable. See how that does with temps.

It can if it's a decent OC. I saw 15+ FPS on Fallout NV when I went from 3.06GHz to 4.2GHz. (It's a CPU heavy game. Though it's not optimized well for multi-threading.)

Good luck.

To add what I forgot to mention in the quoted part...make sure you manually set the DRAM timing to a 4x multiplyer.

I wouldnt do it.
When I first got my 920, my Noctua cooler was on backorder so I used the stock intel heatsink for a week. At stock clock and voltages, i ran a stress test. Temps slowly reached 90c after about 2 hours before I shut it off. Tried to re-seat the heatsink, ran the stress test again, and temps still hit 90+. Had me very worried that the stock cooler couldnt handle stress testing.

Got my monster Noctua cooler in.... Im running at 3.2GHz stable and my temps never get above 65C.

I would not oc an i7 on a stock cooler. My 920 puts out some nice heat at 4.0. Its always been on water. To keep it cool i had to bump my fans up a bit from when i was cooling my Q6600. You can get the 212+ on newegg for like 29 bucks. Its leaps over the stock cooler.

Back