Oakley Unveils Airwave Ski Goggles

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are into skiing and high tech, you can now join the two on the slopes. Oakley has teamed up with Recon Instruments to bring to market Airwave, the complete package for heads-up display and connectivity while you are enjoying the slopes.

Oakley's partnered with the company to seamlessly integrate the unit into its own goggles, dubbed Airwave. It's not just another shell for the system, either, as Oakley will be providing a companion app that'll work with iOS.

Last edited:
Actually quite impressed, especially if the $600 price tag stays.

Considering high end goggles usually cost $250-300 anyway seems like a nice deal.

I want to focus on a mini tv in my goggles when I'm careening down a ski slope. Hey was Sonny Bono a beta tester for these?

So I guess you do not like the fact that cars have heads up display either? That they are careening down the highways at double the speed than that of a skier or snowboarder?

Hookay.

Actually quite impressed, especially if the $600 price tag stays.

Considering high end goggles usually cost $250-300 anyway seems like a nice deal.

?? Crowbars start at $60, what kind of goggles are you buying?

Saw all the baseball players wearing goggles for the champagne celebrations in playoffs. Maybe something like this could protect ARod eyes and help him track the ball at the same time. He can afford a couple pair.

I fear that the addiction to media that these things facilitate is going to cause all kinds of weird problems in the future. You're on the side of a mountain participating in an exciting sport, for god's sake, when did that stop being enough.

...this post ironically made when I should be sleeping.

I like it. When I saw the buddy tracking feature, avalanche rescue came to mind...that would be the super benefit. Then again, a regular cellphone app would be good for locating skiers too, if it locked onto the last coordinates.

Hmmm, I might have just created a new lifesaver that I will never implement or make money on. Someone in the right position to act on it will read this and make millions while saving a few lives (so it would be worth it none the less)

?? Crowbars start at $60, what kind of goggles are you buying?

No kidding. My Swans only ran me $80. Course, the only Swans I see available in the states are swimming goggles. None of their ski/snowboard goggles. Wonder why they didn't bring them over from Japan.

So I guess you do not like the fact that cars have heads up display either? That they are careening down the highways at double the speed than that of a skier or snowboarder?

Hookay.

My jeep tops out at 65mph my skis top out a little higher than that.

Who the hell buys $250 goggles? And at $600 not a chance I will consider these. i will spend probably $90 or less on top of the line POC goggles with spherical lenses and wouldnt spend anymore then that.

My jeep tops out at 65mph my skis top out a little higher than that.

Ya, you can get some ridiculous speeds on the downhill. Fastest record speed has been 156 mph. Speed skiers hit 120 mph on average.

Average skiers/snowboarders are around 25-45 mph. Snowboarders are slower, since well. It's a big flat board, not the skinnier skis.

Ya, you can get some ridiculous speeds on the downhill. Fastest record speed has been 156 mph. Speed skiers hit 120 mph on average.

Average skiers/snowboarders are around 25-45 mph. Snowboarders are slower, since well. It's a big flat board, not the skinnier skis.

I have a pair of 215 downhills I take out about twice a year, I don't get enough hard snow to take them out more.

Who the hell buys $250 goggles? And at $600 not a chance I will consider these. i will spend probably $90 or less on top of the line POC goggles with spherical lenses and wouldnt spend anymore then that.
Oakley is owned by the Luxottica Group, which also owns Ray-Ban, and is widely considered a monopoly+price maker in the sunglasses/eyeglasses market. They're the reason why brand name eyewear(especially the brands under their umbrella) costs so much.

I work at a ski shop on one of the busiest mountains in the east and I have never seen $250-$300 goggles. Not even at the shops who survive purely by screwing over customers from the Tristate area. I'll stick with goggles with good lenses that can be changed out easily depending on the conditions.

And as to the comparison against cars, Going 70 mph on skis is roughly equivalent to about 130 mph in car in my experience. I had my speed verified by a radar trap so I feel somewhat confident in those numbers.

Back