O/C 2600k on ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z

XBarbarian

[H]ard|Gawd
so... began the OC journey last night on my first new rig in 5 years..yay! what a upgrade..

upgraded the bios to 0902. thasts the most current bios I can find for the Gene-z...

one thing I think is odd..or maybe not; when I select the cpu level up.. the only options I have are auto, 4.2, 4.6
shouldn't there be a bigger range there? I see others speak about 4.5 etc...

So, thought I would start with the 4.2 and Ai Overclock Tuner = X.M.P.

that changes the vcore to "manual" @1.30 and sets the ram to 1600 @1.5

boot into windows..and even though the speedstep lowers the proc down to 1,600 at idle...the vcore stays put, I guess that's because of the manual "canned cpu level up"

so, Ive been been reading the off set thread here..

off set oc thread

hoping that maybe that would be the way to have the vcore lower when the proc idles...but seems some of his menu options are different?

with this oc to 4.2 and steady 1.3 vcore, and the H80 cooling in my rig set top medium, I idle at 40c, get to 60c with a IBT stress run

should I just be happy with that? seems like I should be able to get the vcore to lower at idle ... and 40c seems a little high for idle too ( thats read from HWare Monitor.. )

I can start lowering the manual cpu volts and find a stable voltage.. but how can I see that it lowers the vcore when the proc idles?

I am at 4.2, using Rhialto's 2 step...
CPU Level Up = 4.2 | Ai Overclock Tuner = X.M.P.
Its stable, happy, will throttle down, but the voltage stayed high.. so..I then used the additional info under neath his 2 step, now the voltage throttles down to 1.016 at 1600ghz..
To enable voltage drop on idle:
* Go under Digi+ VRM/POWER Control
--- set VCore Load-line Calibration to 75% or 100% and VCore Phase Control to Optimized ( I had to use 25%, maybe because I am only at 4.2 )
* Go back to main menu
--- set CPU Voltage to Offset Mode ( defaulted to +, I changed it to - )
but one follow up to all...

when I added the the additional fine print steps to allow the voltage throttle down, ^^^, it worked, but.. on load it now goes to 1.34 -1.36.. where as before adding the llc and pcc settings, it stayed at load at 1.30, but it does throttle down to 1,600 and 1.016 vcore

thoughts?

Back