Nvidia: I've fallen in love again

Jehuty

Limp Gawd
Hello :)

As evidenced by an earlier post of mine, I was unsure of what card to get - and given their pricey cost, I had my doubts.

You see, I was considering going ATI in this upgrade, and I was actually quite looking forward to it. However, everyone at [H] had a very good impression of the cards, so how could I refuse?

I ended up purchasing the GTX 680 FTW. I had an unexpected gift card (it was actually for $40 and not $20 as I originally thought), so I went for the 4gb version. I know, I know, I discussed that to death, but given that I had that gift card, how could I refuse? Anyway, new card came in and I put my whole new system together.

Boy was I glad I went nvidia.

The card runs super cool. Games run flawlessly. Setup was awesome -- if there are any caveats to this purchase, is the fact that warranty has def changed from the last time I purchased a EVGA card. But that's okay. The card is so awesome, it's worth it.

Anyway, I want to thank you guys for your input! I am very [H]appy, and it's all thanks to you. :)

How can you know you wouldn't have had the same reaction with an AMD card if you didn't try it? I understand your happy with your purchase and that makes sense. But you can't know that you made the right choice when you haven't really compared the two.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Each card certainly has advantages over the alternatives.

I agree with Dan. Your statement implies that AMD video cards wouldn't have made you happy. You don't know that. Also, in my opinion, it's better value to buy a 670 & OC, or a 7950 & OC and save $150.

sig: Q6600

might want to change the sig.

This is my current rig, but I have all the other components:

• Gigabyte UD5H
  • 16GB 1600
  • i5 3570K
  • 256GB Crucial M4

I figure I should wait until I get that final component before putting this all together. :)

How can you know you wouldn't have had the same reaction with an AMD card if you didn't try it? I understand your happy with your purchase and that makes sense. But you can't know that you made the right choice when you haven't really compared the two.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Each card certainly has advantages over the alternatives.

You are absolutely correct, I should have been a little more clear so I apologize for that. I'm not knocking on ATI at all -- up until recently everything pointed to ATI being clearly superior. I was unsure of what nvidia would have to offer me - I certainly have no brand loyalty and I like to go with what I believe is best. [H]'s favorable view of nvidia is what made me go with them in the end.

However, I would be trading the devil I know for the devil I don't. I'm just glad I was able to stick with nvidia, and that it provided me with amazing results in both performance and cooling. a GTX 670 would have been better value as J Macker said, however I don't plan to upgrade again for a while, and I believe that in the long run, this investment would have made better sense.

Sounds like you're just happy that the decision you made wasn't a bad one, and there's nothing wrong with feeling happy about that. Your original post did have a hint of Nvidia is better than AMD, but I figured you just worded it incorrectly. Enjoy your purchase.

I'm also very glad to be able to stick to a nVidia card, and I'm unopoligetic. Of course if I had been using AMD video all along I'd be probably posting in that forum. The unfortunate thing happens when one or the other is clearly left way behind in the dust, that's when switching becomes tempting.

for real though I just like the boost tech. I think there are some haters out there but man I really like it. please set my max voltage for me cause god knows i dont wanna fuck with it. perfectly happy with 1215 core.. not pushing anything crazy cause i dont need to.

cant wait for some games to come out to test it out further

Congrats OP,

I agree with you. I don't think I will ever buy an AMD/ATI card again, simply because the last two I had would force Vsync on in some games and could not be switched off using the driver or third part software such as Rivatuner or Ray Adams tray tools.

I haven't had this issue with my last two Nvidia cards, maybe they have fixed this issue but I'm not willing to spend 200+ to find out.

Personally I think its really hard to make a truly bad choice these days.

Personally I think its really hard to make a truly bad choice these days.
Very true. I debated long and hard about going with the 670 versus 7950/7970 and I'm happy with the decision. But, I do feel that if I went with AMD again, I would not be disappointed at all as I hardly had any issues with my previous setup.

I recently upgraded to a 670 as well and it is sooo much better than the 560ti I had. I know I went from mid-low end to almost high end (honestly, my 670 overclocked beats a 680 at stock most of the time, but that's not really apples to apples now is it?) but man am I impressed.

Sounds like you're just happy that the decision you made wasn't a bad one, and there's nothing wrong with feeling happy about that. Your original post did have a hint of Nvidia is better than AMD, but I figured you just worded it incorrectly. Enjoy your purchase.

Have we gotten so politically correct that a guy with a new nVidia card can't post his enthusiasm for it on the nVidia subforum without people wanting equal time for ATI? Its perfectly fine for him to like nVidia more than ATI. Its also fine for him to say nVidia is superior to ATI. Video cards like the gtx 680 and the 6970 are designed primarily to play games. Games are there to have fun. He is having fun with his new card. The gtx 680 he owns is better than every ATI card in existence that he doesn't own.

OP, enjoy that card and don't second guess your buying decision! You asked a lot of questions and gave it a lot of thought. Lots of people will disagree with you, but remember a lot of people feel the same way you do- they bought EVGA gtx 680 FTWs also.

You made a good choice. Kepler is one sweet card. I've been a diehard AMD fan since 1998 but in spite of that I'm running Ivy Bridge/Kepler at the moment. Just better hardware IMO.

Have we gotten so politically correct that a guy with a new nVidia card can't post his enthusiasm for it on the nVidia subforum without people wanting equal time for ATI? Its perfectly fine for him to like nVidia more than ATI. Its also fine for him to say nVidia is superior to ATI. Video cards like the gtx 680 and the 6970 are designed primarily to play games. Games are there to have fun. He is having fun with his new card. The gtx 680 he owns is better than every ATI card in existence that he doesn't own.

OP, enjoy that card and don't second guess your buying decision! You asked a lot of questions and gave it a lot of thought. Lots of people will disagree with you, but remember a lot of people feel the same way you do- they bought EVGA gtx 680 FTWs also.

Seriously? While I find it flattering that you took the time to quote me and then underline your target and then type a few paragraphs of jibberish about political correctness and then basically sum up everything I had already said in your own words. I think its a little silly that you missed the second post in this thread by Dan D in which he basically noticed the same thing I did, a hint of "Nvidia is superior" due to the way the OP worded his post. In my post I took the time to even explain that I knew what the OP meant, and that he likely just worded it in a way that ruffled some red feathers and then I proceeded to tell him to enjoy his purchase. And...this was after the OP self admitted that he should have been more clear, and yet you still took the time to quote me and go on your tirade. Kudos to you sir for putting me in my place since I was so out of line with my post.

Back