NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Video Card Review @ [H]

The game is heavy on CPU usage. I'm running Titan X's in SLI w/a [email protected] GHz and it is very smooth but still CPU bottlenecked.

You know what, with all of that hardware you are throwing at it you say it is CPU bottlenecked? Are you hitting plateaus of CPU in the high 80-90% range?

I'd almost be your bottleneck would be your bus transport of MASSIVE texture loads to the video cards. 24gb of video memory being refreshed at a high rate can really clog up your I/O. Most likely with the kind of hardware you are running that isn't an issue, but you may want to look around for a motherboard with specifically optimized PCIE pathways.

I'd almost be your bottleneck would be your bus transport of MASSIVE texture loads to the video cards..

Surely this would only be happening if the VRAM were insufficient? With 12 GB this is clearly not the case.

The game is heavy on CPU usage. I'm running Titan X's in SLI w/a [email protected] GHz and it is very smooth but still CPU bottlenecked.
You know what, with all of that hardware you are throwing at it you say it is CPU bottlenecked? Are you hitting plateaus of CPU in the high 80-90% range? I'd almost be your bottleneck would be your bus transport of MASSIVE texture loads to the video cards. 24gb of video memory being refreshed at a high rate can really clog up your I/O. Most likely with the kind of hardware you are running that isn't an issue, but you may want to look around for a motherboard with specifically optimized PCIE pathways.

No, these are not real reasons. What one hears is that the current game computing model on the CPU side is still single-core single-thread like in those good ol' times of simple things. This becomes nasty bottleneck especially in the SLI case but obviously has nothing to do with the real CPU power or the PCIe bus. The only solution to this is a completely new model which can flexibly allocate resources to cores, threads and GPUs. Fortunately it is not a pipe dream anymore since it is the core of DirectX 12 and it is coming soon but games have to be made for this model. There are estimations that for single GPU DirectX 12 offers 20% speed boost, for SLI the boost might be much higher, especially for the 3- and 4-Way.

It's not exactly an error but is an inconsistency: in the bottom graph on page 9, the colour for the Geforce 980 should be red, not cream, to be consistent with all the other graphs.

1428990246ap5USD9KPf_9_3.gif

I hope we hear about the 980 Ti soon or I'm going to have to jump on a TITAN X pretty soon. NCIXUS had a few in stock yesterday and it took all my willpower to resist.

meh.. a good clocked 4c/8t its more than enough.. I hardly think a overclocked 5930K beign a bottlenecking to 2x GTX TITAN unless the game are really limited by single threaded performance and not by multi-thread.. but yes we are starting the era where those almighty i5 are starting to be a no go route.. and 4c/8t i7s are starting to show benefits and extend its legs..

No, these are not real reasons. What one hears is that the current game computing model on the CPU side is still single-core single-thread like in those good ol' times of simple things. This becomes nasty bottleneck especially in the SLI case but obviously has nothing to do with the real CPU power or the PCIe bus. The only solution to this is a completely new model which can flexibly allocate resources to cores, threads and GPUs. Fortunately it is not a pipe dream anymore since it is the core of DirectX 12 and it is coming soon but games have to be made for this model. There are estimations that for single GPU DirectX 12 offers 20% speed boost, for SLI the boost might be much higher, especially for the 3- and 4-Way.

Incorrect. Please don't comment on the issue if you haven't experienced it yourself.

The game pegs all cores (100% usage FRENQUENTLY), even in hexacore hyperthreading systems (12 logical cores... pegged). This engine is incredibly well coded for multithreading.

Incorrect. Please don't comment on the issue if you haven't experienced it yourself.

The game pegs all cores (100% usage FRENQUENTLY), even in hexacore hyperthreading systems (12 logical cores... pegged). This engine is incredibly well coded for multithreading.

What did you use to measure CPU load?
Not taskmanager I hope?

Read before your post? It was indicated it will be in the SLI (4k) review. Takes a long time to prepare a review. Better to slice it up into manageable pieces that are focused on how people will use the product.

They have always done multiple resolutions in earlier reviews. Who buys a $1000 card for 1440p? I would love to know how 1 Titan does 4K.

Me too, but plenty of people do buy hardware that pricey for 1440p because as I'd expect is obvious, a single Titan X still isn't a complete solution at 4K.

As for GTA 5 using all CPU cores, that's as maybe - but how much work are they actually doing? Plenty of applications can max a CPU core and be doing absolutely nothing with it - just because a quad core CPU of a given type is maxed out, doesn't mean a hex-core or octo-core of the same design and speed would give you a single frame extra. For all you know the extra cores above and beyond might sit idle, even if they don't they may make no difference. The only way to know is of course to test accordingly.

They have always done multiple resolutions in earlier reviews. Who buys a $1000 card for 1440p? I would love to know how 1 Titan does 4K.

How is it no longer worth it buy a $1000 card for 1440p?

Titan X still falls short of maintaining 60FPS in many of the games tested. Not to mention you're going to want much higher frames for 120Hz+ monitors.

I think this probably goes with the 'what is the point of all these powerful graphics cards - all PC games are console ports, they don't need expensive hardware' club. A most frustrating point of view that I wish would disappear!

Considering AMD began its direct to metal development with the new generation consoles, it's safe to say DX12 will see huge performance gains.

It's not safe to say that. If anything, it's safe to say that things will not change, and that cross-platform releases (read: the great majority of titles) will optimize their engines for console and not for PC hardware. It will always be true that as long as there's such a wide variety of hardware in PC's, it won't receive optimization attention.

Wouldn't 2x980's be faster and equally cost effective? Yes SLI issues, so that's a consideration. And Vram, but still, in some few months when the 980Ti comes out, you'll be able to pick up 980 for reasonable money and I'd think get plenty of use out of it.

Not an easy cut and dry choice, just for the $ you should have put that card up against SLI 980's as a 4th compare. Saving sli 980 for sli Titanx compare would not be apples to apples right?

Has anyone tried it on one of those 12 or 15 core Xeons?

Who buys a $1000 card for 1440p? .

I Did.

Also, in GTA V, i feel like my 3770k @ 4.5 is bottlenecking my Titan X 1400/8000, i am yet to monitor cpu usage but i will look into it, i have just seen 90% gpu usage not being pegged at 60fps(on 60hz monitor till i get home with my XB270HU).

Is this possible?

What program is best to run on a second screen to monitor CPU usage?

Last edited:
I Did.

Also, in GTA V, i feel like my 3770k @ 4.5 is bottlenecking my Titan X 1400/8000, i am yet to monitor cpu usage but i will look into it, i have just seen 90% gpu usage not being pegged at 60fps(on 60hz monitor till i get home with my XB270HU).

Is this possible?

What program is best to run on a second screen to monitor CPU usage?

It's possible I guess, I'm at 3440x1440 and I see 96-99% usage on the Titan X in GTA V. Titan X is at 1300/7000

Yes and no. I have the money to get a Vega rig, but I don't have the passion and patience to build and tweak it. I envy that.

Agreed, I've got very lazy over the years, I just want stuff to work now. I suppose that's what you get when fixing computers becomes your day job, you just don't have the same enthusiasm for it when you get home only to find more issues to deal with.

Back