Nvidia 4090 shadowplay Recording and video reference not working properly

Bullz

n00b
Hello

Pc data below. Installed is windows 11 64 bit and the new Nvidia driver. Disk space 1 TB free

I've been using shadowplay for years ( old 5900x and 3080 ) but since I got my new pc it doesn't work anymore neither ingame nor on destop ( desktop recording is on ), videos are saved in downloads, temporary in default temp folder. Haven't set anything there.

No overclocking and no other applications running in the background accessing it

.) When "Record" is switched on, it only records a 1 second video although I don't press the key twice with ALT F9. I can tell by the shadowplay strip that pops up briefly on the right side.
.) With "Video evidence" set for 1 minute, which I trigger with ALT F10, it says that something will be saved but it doesn't do it. It also happens more often that it switches itself off. I have NEVER had that before.

A folder is created in Downloads where the videos are also located, but unfortunately they are 1 second long,

What I have tried so far.
Video settings are set to HIGH. Video proof to 1 minute. Changing these parameters brought no improvement.
Tried to change the audio settings. Sound track etc.
Reinstall Nvidia driver

I am at a loss. Box otherwise runs perfectly.

System:

My PC: 7800X3D & TR Phantom Spirit 120 SE, ASUS B650E-I Gaming WIFI, 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96, PNY GeForce RTX 4090 XLR8, Western Digital WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB, SilverStone EX850R, 4xArctic P12 PWM ( 2xCase cover 2xAm CPU heatsink), Cooler Master R200P, Win 11 Pro

For potential fixes:

Open Settings and select General.

Turn on the Share switch.

Sometimes Shadowplay has a permissions issue and this can potentially fix it.

--

If your game is windowed or borderless windowed, Shadowplay won't recognize its a game. So, you have to turn on the "Allow desktop capture" in Shadowplay settings.

---

You can also simply try changing the folder it records to. Sometimes Windows permissions can be weird and cause apps to have trouble. If you have One drive setup, I would move Shadowplay output to a folder which is not OneDrive enabled. At the least, try moving it away from your default documents/videos folders.

Hello

Pc data below. Installed is windows 11 64 bit and the new Nvidia driver. Disk space 1 TB free

I've been using shadowplay for years ( old 5900x and 3080 ) but since I got my new pc it doesn't work anymore neither ingame nor on destop ( desktop recording is on ), videos are saved in downloads, temporary in default temp folder. Haven't set anything there.

No overclocking and no other applications running in the background accessing it

.) When "Record" is switched on, it only records a 1 second video although I don't press the key twice with ALT F9. I can tell by the shadowplay strip that pops up briefly on the right side.
.) With "Video evidence" set for 1 minute, which I trigger with ALT F10, it says that something will be saved but it doesn't do it. It also happens more often that it switches itself off. I have NEVER had that before.

A folder is created in Downloads where the videos are also located, but unfortunately they are 1 second long,

Video settings are set to HIGH. Video proof to 1 minute. Changing these parameters brought no improvement.
Reinstall Nvidia driver

System:

My PC: 7800X3D & TR Phantom Spirit 120 SE, ASUS B650E-I Gaming WIFI, 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96, PNY GeForce RTX 4090 XLR8, Western Digital WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB, SilverStone EX850R, 4xArctic P12 PWM ( 2xCase cover 2xAm CPU heatsink), Cooler Master R200P, Win 11 Pro
Have you tried it in multiple games? which ones? Fullscreen/windowed/borderless windowed?
I can open the overlay, I can see everything, it looks normal, but then I click on recording, and start (or I do alt + F9) to start recording, but nothing happens, the little menu closes out, it's as if the button does nothing or I didn't even click at all. I haven't found anyone else with this problem online, but however I have found very similar problems, but those obviously can't fix my problem, as this one is more unique. Sometimes shadowplay does actually work for me, but it's still a very rare occasion when it actually works.Shadowplay is literally the only recording program that records in decent quality (OBS/fraps/overwolf is trash), so is there even a fix for this or do I have to wait for Nvidia to fix it, and if so - how long?>inb4 "did u upgrade da drivers"it doesn't matter what version I use, it's still the same, I nothing starts to record.
OBS definitely is not trash. Is by far the best free recording/streaming app, rivaling or exceeding many paid apps. Lots of direct collab with Nvidia. Well beyond the capabilities of Shadowplay. The only real benefit to shadowplay is potentially lower resource usage, if you simply want to make a basic recording, at no more than 60fps.

Last edited:
Hello

Reinstall Nvidia driver

System:

100%

NVIDIA GeForce 537.58 WHQL driver and similar date of drivers,they have good stutter control in browsers but PC gaming with shadowplay is terrible.Also I can not name every driver it would be too many. It is a common issue with Shadowplay on some Nvidia drivers,Newest Nvidia drivers are better with shadowplay actually working but newer driver have stutter issues.​

Nvidia just has bad drivers even once in awhile,it is what it is.My worst pet peeve is when I record with shadowplay on some drivers as mentioned above and play a game for 3 hours I expect to have a 3 hour recording not 1 sec,or not a black screen with just audio or not a 3 hour video that will not play. Gotta find a driver that works more reliable for your system.

Also OBS recording is more hit and miss with Nvidia drivers,just saying

3070ti laptop here ...

Shadow play not working either.

I think Nvidia disabled it maybe?

GeForce experience is now obsolete and is about to be replaced by NvApp. It will be similar to Intel ARC and AMD Radeon all in one software suites.

Back