nVidia 3D Vision ghosting/double image

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

Trying to get my 3D vision kit to work...and I'm seeing a double image in the LEFT eye only; the right eye looks fine, but the left eye shows a double image. If I increase the depth, the double image moves further off of the main image, making me think the left eye of the glasses is off? Do I need to just return the 3D Vision kit since I've had it less than 7 days and buy it from some place more reputable than Frys?

Edit: Nevermind, it's in BOTH eyes. This is bullshit...one predominant image that's fine, then an image that is kinda lightly bleeding in. Is this the monitor or the glasses? Going to 100hz does no good either.

Thanks!
RA

My solution to nVidia's shitty product: http://rampantandroid.com/images/IMG_0542.JPG

Last edited:
Did your "fix" work? :)
I would guess that you still have double images...

I use an AW2310, too, and it works fine for me, maybe you've got defective glasses. I mean before your fix.

I'm guessing you should have returned the glasses for them being defective....

Good job wasting $150 over nothing when you could have contacted support and tried returning the glasses or the monitor. I'm surprised in your idiotic rage you didn't break the monitor too.

Hi all,
My solution to nVidia's shitty product: http://rampantandroid.com/images/IMG_0542.JPG

No no no. You are supposed to wear the glasses.

My solution to your rage:
baby-separation-anxiety-comforting-crying-baby.jpg

Funny thing is: it's because the monitor is too slow, not because of the glasses. The monitor can't alternate frames quite fast enough, so when it draws the left eye frame, there is still a faint retention of the right eye frame.

The only monitors/TVs that are fast enough to avoid this, as far as I'm aware, are Plasmas.

The AW2310 is a really good 3D monitor. I use it and I have no ghosting images.

EDIT: Did you charge the glasses and switch them on?

3D gaming always seem pointless to me. So much more things to spend money on.

The AW2310 is a really good 3D monitor. I use it and I have no ghosting images.

EDIT: Did you charge the glasses and switch them on?

I have three AW2310s and I will see minor ghosting in different places in most games but nothing bad. In some games like Black Ops and Batman AA it's pretty much not there.

That's what I kind of thought...until I got a 3DS. I figured I'd just get over it and turn the switch off, but the game feels so much more alive and immersive in 3D. I kind of want to go 3D on my PC now. =\

Like what? The only expense are the glasses, $150 for the kit these days. Not really a lot of money when you build a powerful rig to really take advantage of 3D well.

I'm sure everyone here has more things they could spend money on besides their expensive gaming rigs. I personally never knock a niche just because I'm not a part of it.

As for the problem, it sounds like your monitor was too slow. Should've gotten the Acer 3d monitor or a dlp. Glad you wasted your money by destroying the glasses though.

I'm sure everyone here has more things they could spend money on besides their expensive gaming rigs. I personally never knock a niche just because I'm not a part of it.

As for the problem, it sounds like your monitor was too slow. Should've gotten the Acer 3d monitor or a dlp. Glad you wasted your money by destroying the glasses though.

You ever tried doing a return to Fry's?

To explain the...damage...well, I was not so happy after trying to actually PLAY RE5 and ended up with a headache that I still have...and nearly throwing up. I normally do fine with 3D movies and all, but this was vomit inducing.

HaHa!

That's how you take care of problems, you rage them to death. Expensive... yes, satisfying... veeery much so.

Bad news for you is, some games do give ghosting. Infact I get it in the stupid nVidia test thing but most games are fine.

You ever tried doing a return to Fry's?

I have returned plenty of stuff at Fry's over the last 5 years that I have been living in San Francisco. Not once have I ever been given a hard time returning stuff. Just have everything that you purchased, then return it with the receipt.

I've never had a problem returning the crap they sold me that turns out to be crap.

From a post on another forum (post is by me):

Again, I bought from Frys. Mistake? Sure...but returns are next to impossible (seriously...I walked in to buy 3D Vision. Some guy was at the front returning a PS3 that was defective. I find 3D Vision box. I also find a hard drive I want. I go to the front desk because the 3d vision price there is much higher than newegg and Frys price matches. Wait in line for 15 mintues. Wait 20 minutes for them to do the price match. Go to cashier, pay...and as I walk out, who is still trying to make a return but the PS3 guy. Yeah. Oh, and it was his second day trying to make the return.) My time is worth something - and not driving 40 minutes to Frys to stand in line for over and hour for a return...well, that's worth the satisfaction of ruining the glasses. Believe me, I don't normally do that. And why didn't I kill the monitor? Because...well, it works.

HaHa!

That's how you take care of problems, you rage them to death. Expensive... yes, satisfying... veeery much so.

Bad news for you is, some games do give ghosting. Infact I get it in the stupid nVidia test thing but most games are fine.

I was pretty pissed about having a headache and feeling like I was going to vomit...and that I'd wasted time on the damn thing that smashing the glasses was perhaps the most satisfying thing I got from that 3D kit. I honestly didn't really even mean to, I just kinda picked them up and squeezed...and they shattered. Then having already destroyed on of the lenses I just went to town.

That's what I kind of thought...until I got a 3DS. I figured I'd just get over it and turn the switch off, but the game feels so much more alive and immersive in 3D. I kind of want to go 3D on my PC now. =\

I am playing 3DS since it first came out in Japan....
It is nowhere near feeling alive or amazing.
It does nothing but headache from every person that have tried on my 3DS...
If you turn your head a bit, the ghosting effect just pop out right away...

To OP: Ghosting will always be there in 3D Vision, that is how the technology work. It's either you ignore it or face it. There is no such thing as "It doesn't exist"..
This is one major reason beside wearing the stupid glasses that push me away from continue using 3D Gaming...

Different people will have different experiences with it, I've NEVER experienced any physical side effects other than normal eyestrain that I get in plain old 2D sometimes as well with over a 100 hours with the glasses not counting 3D movies even. And not all monitors are created equal. Yes I see ghosting in places in most games but in some games while it's there in places it's VERY hard to pick up. And I think multi-monitor does and an extra element to it.

It's just something you have to experience yourself, there's just no way to judge how it's going to turn out. I'd heard all about the negatives AND the positives and fortunately for me I experienced the essentially the positives.

3D is now a MUST for my primary gaming system, that's how happy I'm with it like a lot of others. Not for everyone but DEFINITELY for some.

Shouldve switched on vsync and enabled tripple buffering with Rivatuners D3D overrider Ghosting issue solved.
But I don't get the glasses. People laugh at me when I'm wearing them at the beach and its not even in 3d

Vsync is all ways on in 3D, that's why it's capped at 60 FPS, two scenes per frame, 60 FPS max thus the need for a 120 Hz monitor. Without Vsync it wouldn't work as you have to have complete frames to display, no point otherwise. The ghosting can be caused by crosstalk, one eye partially seeing the other eyes scene or monitor lag. At any rate it's almost impossible to eliminate the effect everywhere but it shouldn't be some pronounced and to be distracting.

To OP: Ghosting will always be there in 3D Vision, that is how the technology work. It's either you ignore it or face it. There is no such thing as "It doesn't exist"..
This is one major reason beside wearing the stupid glasses that push me away from continue using 3D Gaming...

DLP and Plasmas won't display any crosstalk.

Shouldve switched on vsync and enabled tripple buffering with Rivatuners D3D overrider Ghosting issue solved.
But I don't get the glasses. People laugh at me when I'm wearing them at the beach and its not even in 3d

In RE5, VSync is always on. Hell, I think VSync might always be on when stereo3D is on.

EDit: silly me, missed heatlesssun's comment.

I know that. But vsync drops the frame rate half the refresh rate. That's the downside of it. To get it back just under your refresh rate you need to enable tripple buffering with Rivatuners D3D overrider to get it working in dx

Huh? In S3D your frame rate will never go over 60 FPS as each frame HAS to be in sync for S3D to work.

I know that. But vsync drops the frame rate half the refresh rate. That's the downside of it. To get it back just under your refresh rate you need to enable tripple buffering with Rivatuners D3D overrider to get it working in dx

So what? The nature of S3D means you need one frame for the left eye, one for the right and repeat. LRLRLRLRLRLRLR...

You can't have LLRLLR or anything like that. And afaik, it never can go over 120, right? 60 per eye?

You can't have LLRLLR or anything like that. And afaik, it never can go over 120, right? 60 per eye?

Correct, you get two images per frame for a max of 60 FPS. Timing is critical for S3D to work thus vsync is always on, incomplete frames are useless.

Back