No Upgrading Your New Retina MacBook Pro

this is the first apple laptop i actually want to buy.

16gb ram, 512GB SSD.

if i need more storage i have usb3 or tbolt ports for external. i can just shut down a few VMs if i ever bump into the 16GB ram limit. the 8gb in my current laptop has yet to be a limitation, idk why 16 ever would be.

get student discount
$200 off

if i need more storage i have usb3 or tbolt ports for external. i can just shut down a few VMs if i ever bump into the 16GB ram limit. the 8gb in my current laptop has yet to be a limitation, idk why 16 ever would be.
Extra RAM is helpful in OS X, as you'll rarely close applications as you might do with Windows (you'll be more inclined to simply hide their windows). 8GB is the minimum for doing any kind of heavy lifting, in my opinion.

Apple bashing at the [H] is truly sad at this point. Its 3/4 inch thick with the best display in the world, on par with every other machine of this form factor, but its Apple so this is bad suddenly.

this is the first apple laptop i actually want to buy.

16gb ram, 512GB SSD.

And with those options, the price is $2800. :eek:

Don't give me that bullcrap that they had to do that to keep it that thin. Then make it a little thicker or wider. Would be a great excuse to go past 15 inches. BTW, half the laptop is a freaking battery.
[/img]

but this is the way apple operates. form over function. and apple likes to lock down everything tight and control every aspect. doing this to the hardware is just an evolution of what they have been doing for a while now.

(not saying i agree with it, just that this is/was more or less predicted their natural course considering their history)

Let's see the Apple fanatics defend this one. :D
They have...

Arcterex from Ufies.org said:
So iFixit tears down the new Retina MacBook Pro, calls it ‘least repairable laptop’ yet. This is one of two things:

A travesty perpetrated by an evil company that is restricting you from doing what you want, with hardware you own, and no doubt an attempt to screw you over with their overpriced upgrade options.

Completely expected and the natural progression, similar to how you can’t rebuild your own engine in a new car like you could with something from the 60’s or 70’s

Apple fanboy apologists fail to grasp that computers are not thoughtlessly-disposable items like toothbrushes and razors.

Apple haters fail to grasp that Apple is not the only company with a laptop that has a non upgradable RAM.

Two small things:

1. Jelly? really? Oh never mind...

2. The specs on that Apple panel are actually crap because I want a 32" panel that's gold plated for $475 (no tax too). So your point is moot. Lets face it, it's too little too late even though they're the first to bring something like this to market. Simple really....:D

You follow me?

1. make fun of much? I do not own any apple computers but I can still laugh at all of the jealous folks crying because they either can't afford, can't use OSX, or are so bitter that they wallow in hatred because they will never be involved in a business that works.

2. Your point is retarded........ there likely will not be something like this for awhile unless it has an apple logo.

This new macbook pro has a market, apparently it is not you and a hell of a lot of [H] users. Most of us are gamers and obviously Macs have never been a gaming platform.

It only has 256GB of storage though! What professional keeps 100% of his work on one disk? The memory can not be upgraded! It has 2 options 8 and 16GB, and 16GB is likely enough. It's not like they shipped it with 1 and 2GB options ffs.

What else were people crying over? Ethernet port? The adapter is 30 bucks and I can almost bet my life 95% of Apple users (hell anyone) would be using WiFi.

Oh my god they shipped it with a 650m, idiots! Let's face facts here, even the GTX680m would have a hell of a time running that resolution, and again it's gaming on a Mac so /shrug

So if I'm understanding correctly, non-user-serviceable batteries and soldered RAM are only of concern when the value of the machine is greater than X, where X is apparently an arbitrarily-selected dollar amount between $1,400 and $2,100. Is this accurate?
Actually, yes.

As a consumer, I pick the price point that I'm willing to pay for items, based on MY assessment of it's value. Apple is a master of marketing for aesthetic and "in" appeal, but I'm less concerned about the logo, and more with price and hardware.....and what I need - not what everyone else wants.

I can do a lot with the $700 difference. I will pass on this.

To be fair it packs a full voltage quad core and a GT 650M into that thin of a chassis and still gets impressive battery life. They probably had to make compromises to get that all to fit in there (except that SSD is indefensible).

1. make fun of much? I do not own any apple computers but I can still laugh at all of the jealous folks crying because they either can't afford, can't use OSX, or are so bitter that they wallow in hatred because they will never be involved in a business that works.

Yes people with PC's that probably cost over $10000 (Look at Vega's) are jealous of not being able to afford a laptop :rolleyes:

This is your argument, that we are jealous/can't afford it?

Can you afford a Ferrari? I guess your jealous of everyone who drives one then, because you know there are no other reasons that you could possibly not like a Ferrari.

Guys, guys, guys. Apple doesn't cater to us enthusiasts. We make up what? 1-2% of Apple's customer base? The average computer user, much less an Apple user, wouldn't dare even thinking about getting inside a laptop.

Yes people with PC's that probably cost over $10000 (Look at Vega's) are jealous of not being able to afford a laptop :rolleyes:

This is your argument, that we are jealous/can't afford it?

Can you afford a Ferrari? I guess your jealous of everyone who drives one then, because you know there are no other reasons that you could possibly not like a Ferrari.

Pretty much otherwise wtf is the point of throwing bs insults at members who use Macs or a company that is highly successful. To be cute? I had 3 reasons btw, you tried to cover one.

And hey I'll admit, I tried a Mac once and even went so far as to install OSX in VMware to see what the fuss was about and I disliked it. It doesn't mean I hate apple or that apple people are "hipsters" as many of you people like to call them it just means it was not my cup of tea. If the iMac line were to get Retina though I would buy it and throw it right beside my PC (btw I can afford it).

I bought one, in fairness I didn't know the ram wasn't expandable but I don't think most people buying one would care. Personally The last laptop I put extra memory in was a Toshiba Satellite 1ghz. Same with the hard disk, its only really an issue if you use it as a desktop replacement. Which it isn't really.

8GB less so but 16GB definitely is plenty to run most stuff that you'd want to off a laptop. For me it'll do Photoshop, Capture One and Indesign and obviously officey type apps and it will continue to be enough for the next few years so I'm happy. For me 256gb hdd would have been enough but I've got 512gb because, well not sure why but I did.

Basically the storage on laptop only holds my itunes library and whatever workflow I'm working on. Else it's on shared storage. Even on my desktop the only reason I'm using more than 200gb of disk space is because of games and movies neither of which I use a mac for (occasional movie or football manager session aside)

If its lack of expansion means I need a replacement in the 3 year life I'd just sell it and buy a new one. At least Apple has way better resale value.

Is it suitable for everyone's needs, no. Is it suitable for some. Yes. If it doesn't suit what you need just don't buy one (though they do need to make that lack of expansion clearer, I'd be pissed if I'd got mine with 8gb and didn't know I was stuck with it)

The best thing about this though, is that finally higher resolution desktop monitors should be coming. YAY

Apple fanboy apologists fail to grasp that computers are not thoughtlessly-disposable items like toothbrushes and razors.

In all fairness, the innards and design choices make it obvious that this is meant to be disposable after the warranty expires. It meets the designers' intent.

Actually, yes. As a consumer, I pick the price point that I'm willing to pay for items, based on MY assessment of it's value. I can do a lot with the $700 difference.
I think you misunderstood the question. I wasn't asking for your assessment of the MacBook's value. I was asking whether it's correct to say that non-user-serviceable batteries and RAM are only of concern when the price of the device is greater than $1,400.

wow. Ok, non replaceable battery... fine. Non replaceable SSD & Ram, not cool at all.. ESPECIALLY with apple's short as fuck warranty.

Wow, just when you think Apple can't sink any lower.

I would never buy a piece of junk in which I can't replace AT LEAST the RAM and drive, even if it weren't so desperately overpriced.

Not overpriced. Ask the guys in the Displays forum how much they'd pay for a 2880x1800 display.

And what's the point of that much resolution on a 15.4" display? Its ridiculous and serves no purpose other than marketing to people who don't know shit about shit.

2. Your point is retarded........ there likely will not be something like this for awhile unless it has an apple logo.

This new macbook pro has a market, apparently it is not you and a hell of a lot of [H] users. Most of us are gamers and obviously Macs have never been a gaming platform.

It only has 256GB of storage though! What professional keeps 100% of his work on one disk? The memory can not be upgraded! It has 2 options 8 and 16GB, and 16GB is likely enough. It's not like they shipped it with 1 and 2GB options ffs.

What else were people crying over? Ethernet port? The adapter is 30 bucks and I can almost bet my life 95% of Apple users (hell anyone) would be using WiFi.

Oh my god they shipped it with a 650m, idiots! Let's face facts here, even the GTX680m would have a hell of a time running that resolution, and again it's gaming on a Mac so /shrug

Had to read to page three to find someone who identified the real issue. That 650M with 1GB ... Wait till someone tries one game at native resolution.

Zarathustra[H];1038832980 said:
And what's the point of that much resolution on a 15.4" display? Its ridiculous and serves no purpose other than marketing to people who don't know shit about shit.

I have never looked at my 30" 2560x1600 monitor and though "you know, it's great, but I just wish it had higher resolution...

That laptop (if we can even call it that, it's more like a consumer computing device) has higher resolution than a standard 30" panel, but on a 15.4" screen. Absolutely pointless.

OK, this is purely opinion. There is no verified truth in this post. Please be very clear I take no position. (I cannot afford expensive laptops, so)

1. By moving it non-user-serviceable configuratioon, it seems
2. Apple and PC Ultrabooks ask you to think carefully, and honestly during the purchase process because
2.1 There is no immediate part replacement from end user unless some one can figure out professional grade service job.
2.2 And if you need professional grade 3rd party custom job, you will balance against other options such as warranty.
2.3 Hence, it forces you to accept responsibility for your own purchase because you know you need to stick with it for some time, especially if you pay a lot.
2.4 Again, it also forces you to accept responsibility if you only willing to accept minimal configuration, (your combination ends there)
2.5 Because you need to accept responsibility for expensive purchase for a long time (since it is relatively expensive and cannot be changed for a long time), you tend to be a bit careful and utilize the products, to the fullest extend of physically possible.
2.6 Because you will utilize the unit to the fullest extend, it follows that you might not be buying replacement so soon, so the prices are high.
2.7 Due to high prices, it does not use complicated tactics to get user in. You buy only if you could afford, and if you see acceptable value. If you could not afford, do not buy. I understand some may get instant offense as if this is some kind of targeted classification, but it is not. This actually calm users head and let everyone chooses suitable parts. In the past, you see PC industry use global volumes to dump the entire market (see what happen in 90s during PC boom). Using normal economy theory, if high prices create a viable gap, some companies will fill in with suitable products.

3. The benefits
3.1 You will use the product to the fullest extend. For example, it is not uncommon to see 7-to-10 years Macintosh still in active use. (The one problem obviously is the willingness of Primary vendors on software side)
3.2 Because you appreciate the product to the fullest extend, it ends when all natural combination reaches sensible conclusion per current state.
3.2.1 this requires clarification, for example, Core i against Pentium 3 or Pentium4. P3/4 are definitely still usable, but per commercial entities, maybe they already moving on. IF you insist, FOSS probably can help. I think Apple is in the process of openning 3rd party build for old products, recent news, not sure, need to check.
3.2.2 Hence if product ends when reaching sensible final state. Hopefully it reduces electronic wastage.

4. Because you need to stay with them for a long time, software maybe can accomodate with this fact. However, it is true software vendors have a lot of idea on their own so there is no guarantee on this point, take note, evaluate carefully.

5. For users with a lot of disposable income, obviously it is up to them if they want to buy expensive products and replace every year. In this case Apple and Ultrabook companies probably happy to see them at the front door.

6. I believe it was written somewhere, eventually you will appreciate FOSS, irrespective of your idealogy.

7. The critical issue in the scheme is Hardware Quality. If you have Hardware that will see the test of time for 7-10 years, or more, some will appreciate. However, if it failed after 2 years, then as rightly observed by some forum members, the entire unit will go down together with it. (example, soldered RAM module with error).
7.1 Personally, if you are up to this stage with high price, I guess two pieces of ECC RAM is not asking too much. (Not sure why they don't do this, I bet there is a definite market for high price laptops with 2-pieces of ECC RAM)
7.2 Unfortunately, I also read web forums, support sites and other Internet postings to know that some products do fail, some fairly quickly, so I dare not say with any certainty. Advise to check carefully.

Again, opinion, There is no verified truth in this post. Please be very clear I take no position.

I think you misunderstood the question. I wasn't asking for your assessment of the MacBook's value. I was asking whether it's correct to say that non-user-serviceable batteries and RAM are only of concern when the price of the device is greater than $1,400.

To me this basically says "Hello, I don't care about your opinion of subject A, nor do I care about your opinion of subject B, but what is your opinion on subject B?"

That is some pretty impressive hardware crammed into that thing.

Well - if you really want that email to look sharp while sitting in starbucks looking like a tool then more power to you.

I'm sure it looks great -- but you can't tell me anyone that's super serious about video or photo editing would be doing it on a 15" screen. At that price level and for someone who's a professional you wouldn't blink an eye about picking up a 30" dell ultrasharp.

The display is neat but it's pretty obvious that apple doesn't even try to hide or BS the customer these days on making things serviceable. We'd laugh if a dealership told us the tires and wheels are welded on so after 30,000 miles you have to buy a new car.

At the end of the day who cares - it's not my money and people are free to do as they wish. The worst part is how every iTard is going to act like they are the worlds greatest computer hacker now that they have the latest macbook. This apple thing is just like a religion - it's all well and good till they try to cram it down your throat and "spread the word". In 6 months something new will be out and most of those people will be back to feeling like crap. Pouring over their bank account and trying to figure which credit card has enough left on it to cram one more useless toy onto the bill.

Why anybody is wasting energy and time being so concerned about the upgrade-ability of the new MBP is beyond me. It's an Apple product, people. Upgrading Apple products == throw it away and buy a new one. It's been that way for a long time.

Apple bashing at the [H] is truly sad at this point. Its 3/4 inch thick with the best display in the world, on par with every other machine of this form factor, but its Apple so this is bad suddenly.

It is not the best display in the world, not even close. If I wanted a mobile workstation with ACCURATE colours, i'd get the HP Dreamcolor. The Retina display on the macbook suffers from the same yellow tint as the ipad.

correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that it's illegal to have non removable batteries in any electronic device? Maybe those regulations apply to everyone but apple.

To me this basically says "Hello, I don't care about your opinion of subject A, nor do I care about your opinion of subject B, but what is your opinion on subject B?"
Actually, as written, it's roughly "I don't care about your opinion of subject A, but what is your opinion on subject B?". Which certainly seems sensible enough.

3.1 You will use the product to the fullest extend. For example, it is not uncommon to see 7-to-10 years Macintosh still in active use.

Yeah, by fools dumb enough to use a computer that won't run a current operating system that is being patched for exploits.

If you run on any version prior to 10.6 you are a complete moron, because 10.6 is the oldest version that is still patched. If you have a power PC Mac (in your 7-10 year range) 10.5 is the last version of OSX you can run, as they dropped PowerPC support after that. Any Mac made before 2006 thus has no patch support.

You could run Linux on them, but that pretty much is going to be your only safe option.

Zarathustra[H];1038832980 said:

Did I miss something? Since when did a 2880x1800 IPS display become a bad thing? I'd gladly take one of these regardless of OS.

Zarathustra[H];1038833026 said:
If you run on any version prior to 10.6 you are a complete moron, because 10.6 is the oldest version that is still patched.
What are the approximate exploit/infection rates for pre-10.6 machines?

Did I miss something? Since when did a 2880x1800 IPS display become a bad thing? I'd gladly take one of these regardless of OS.

Resolution is awesome.

I have a PLP setup with 20" 1600x1200 (portrait) - 30" 2560x1600 (landscape) - 20" 1600x1200 (portrait) and I love it.

2880x1800 would likely be great resolution...

...on a 35" monitor.

On a 15.4" panel it is just silly, and offers no benefit at rather extreme expense.

It also adds more problems, as now you have to either scale the UI up somehow (more developer time, and maintaining multiple configurations) or deal with headache inducing tiny text, etc.

1920x1080 is probably the highest practical resolution for a 15" class screen, and even that is probably higher than the ideal for that screen size.

Look, I hate this much as the rest of you do - this is a forum for people who like to tinker with their computers.

The question you have to ask is this:

Given Apple's target audience, will it sell. The answer is an overwhelming yes.

Upgrading Apple products == throw it away and buy a new one. It's been that way for a long time.

im pretty sure thats why we are all talking shit. because the fact that theyve created some hipster yuppie marketing movement to thinly obfuscate the concept of "designed-to-expire". why would they glue the battery? you can secure it with bracketry. why would they fuse together the fucking screen housing? theres no reason.

What are the approximate exploit/infection rates for pre-10.6 machines?

I don't know of any published data, but they should be vulnerable to anything newer OSX versions are vulnerable to (like MacDefender, the fake anntivirus that's actually malware or Flashback which recently infected more than 600,000 macs), but without being able to be patched...

As time goes on, it only gets worse

Zarathustra[H];1038833047 said:
Resolution is awesome.

I have a PLP setup with 20" 1600x1200 (portrait) - 30" 2560x1600 (landscape) - 20" 1600x1200 (portrait) and I love it.

2880x1800 would likely be great resolution...

...on a 35" monitor.

On a 15.4" panel it is just silly, and offers no benefit at rather extreme expense.

It also adds more problems, as now you have to either scale the UI up somehow (more developer time, and maintaining multiple configurations) or deal with headache inducing tiny text, etc.

1920x1080 is probably the highest practical resolution for a 15" class screen, and even that is probably higher than the ideal for that screen size.

How is that any different than a 27" 1440p or even 30" 1600p panel? Your going to get the same thing on those displays with extreme resolutions. The only difference is the transition on apple products will be very quick and somewhat easily managed. On windows it is going to be a disaster, but one that will eventually have to be done.

With my U3011 I absolutely have to have Chrome scale up 150% to read articles/forums.

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this apple has so many fanboys/fangirls that they could do whatever they want and charge a pound of flesh for it. Their lemming like legion would still push each other under the bus for the chance to buy their shit.

Back