New World Record For Beating Halo on Legendary

People still speed run Super Mario and Doom. Hell, you wanna be amazed? Watch some of the guys speed run 70 or 120 stars in Mario 64.

Such a life accomplishment....

Then again, it took me months to get through Half Life...

That was impressively boring for a run that was "so fast."

Halo is not a very interesting game to watch from what I... watched.

Having just played and beat H2 it would be nice if MS would port the other 2 to PC.

FUCK YOU MS!

I love halo 1, music was so epic, I still play it from time to time.

Love me some Super Metroid Speed Runs.

Funny you mention that, I just watched someone speed run Super Metroid yesterday. :p It's amazing I managed to beat that game when I was a kid, but his run was impressive.

What is the purpose of doing something like this?

What's the purpose of playing games in the first place? It's definitely for the fun and entertainment.

There is a really good video of watching someone play Mike Tyson's Punchout blindfolded. It's just as tense for someone watching it as it was for the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2sty-f3XQ

I think this one is definitely worth a watch if you have played the game before.

Nothing. Some people believe it or not find this fun. It's not hurting anyone and they enjoy it.

Definitely, there's a lot worse things someone could be doing. I think video games keeps many a people out of trouble. :D

Definitely, there's a lot worse things someone could be doing. I think video games keeps many a people out of trouble. :D

yup got into an argument with a coworker, he was mocking me a fair bit when he discovered I was a big game nerd. Once he found out my yearly PC upgrade budget (not super, like 500-700) he procedded to tell me that's such a huge waste of money.

I looked at him back and asked "you like to drink, whats a night out for you?", he responded $300. I looked back and said that $700 a year entertains me 3-4 nights a week, I spend less than you do by the 3rd day. He was less than amused and walked off lol

I still try and do speed runs of snake rattle and roll on the nes. The warp to level 8 from the first level is tough, but doable.

yup got into an argument with a coworker, he was mocking me a fair bit when he discovered I was a big game nerd. Once he found out my yearly PC upgrade budget (not super, like 500-700) he procedded to tell me that's such a huge waste of money.

I looked at him back and asked "you like to drink, whats a night out for you?", he responded $300. I looked back and said that $700 a year entertains me 3-4 nights a week, I spend less than you do by the 3rd day. He was less than amused and walked off lol

value in the eye of the beholder eh, too bad your coworker is pretty stubborn...:rolleyes:

$300?!!!:eek:

At least he realized you obliterated his argument.:D

$300?!!!:eek:

At least he realized you obliterated his argument.:D

My cabinet likely has 10x's that in spirits in it. It's a hobby, like everything else.

I have spent $300 on a night out, but that was pre-wedding with a good number of friends, at our favorite craft cocktail bar ($8+ cocktails) and we shut the place down.

I also game (and have for many many years), but never saw the allure of playing a game over and over and doing a Speed run to see how fast I could "beat the game".

My cabinet likely has 10x's that in spirits in it. It's a hobby, like everything else.

I have spent $300 on a night out, but that was pre-wedding with a good number of friends, at our favorite craft cocktail bar ($8+ cocktails) and we shut the place down.

I also game (and have for many many years), but never saw the allure of playing a game over and over and doing a Speed run to see how fast I could "beat the game".

I'd lose both sides of that one... :D

I like a bit of the Scotch and Rye, my Steam Library is out of control, and I have some other expensive hobbies. Luckily one of the hobbies is a jobbie, (in addition to my day job,) which pays me back at least a portion of what I spend.

Didn't watch all of it, but looks like he ran past as much of the Covenant/enemies as possible. Really defeats the purpose of a first person shooter, but okay. I've watched a bit of siglemic on his Mario 64 runs. Kinda fun, mostly nostalgia. Never knew someone could be so good at that game.

I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. That said, it seems incredibly boring to me.

$300 for a single night of booze doesn't even seem remotely logical to me either. I could get a truckload of Slupees the size of my face for that kind of money, and I'm far less likely to wake up spooning an upset looking gnome on a strangers lawn. ;D

I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. That said, it seems incredibly boring to me.

$300 for a single night of booze doesn't even seem remotely logical to me either. I could get a truckload of Slupees the size of my face for that kind of money, and I'm far less likely to wake up spooning an upset looking gnome on a strangers lawn. ;D

haha I live in alberta, lots of oil money around. So when guys like him go out they go with the intent goal of not remembering the night. When a shot costs $12-$20 a few hundred is not surprising.

What is the purpose of doing something like this?

Primarily I imagine it is a way to stand out when you are just a fan in a pool of hundreds of thousands.
If you place so much value in a game that you would train to do a speed run faster than anyone else, you would prob also value the acclaim you would receive for it.

Many presenters on twitch, and other online video platforms differentiate themselves in this fashion, and receive some amount of fame as a result.

I assume though you did realize all of the above (easy to figure out) and you just wanted to point out you believe this to be a waste of time (me too).

Better not to air such negative world views to others though, don't show your cards unless you have to, especially if you have a shitty hand and are bluffing.

Back