New Samsung 4k for everyone.

As others have mentioned, the 4:4:4 issue is probably the biggest deal breaker here. Last year none of the Vizio P series and only a small few of Samsung's high end models like the HU8550 had 4:4:4. Let's hope these guys can get it right this time around.

Also LG 8500+ series had it.

But in reality I'm sure most TV manufacturers are trying to align their release schedule for HDCP2.2/4:4:4 displays for end-of-year 2015 when 4K Blu Ray comes out and have something that's fully compatible with the new 4K standard. Which really means buying any TV is pointless until then because you'd be either locked out of content or watching it at lower fidelity.

Is HDCP 2.2 4:4:4 possible at full res?
Is HDMI 2.0 getting an upgrade?

We should be able to do HDCP 2.2 4:4:4 @ 4k/60Hz as long as Samsung uses the new HDCP 2.2 chips.

Also LG 8500+ series had it. But in reality I'm sure most TV manufacturers are trying to align their release schedule for HDCP2.2/4:4:4 displays for end-of-year 2015 when 4K Blu Ray comes out and have something that's fully compatible with the new 4K standard. Which really means buying any TV is pointless until then because you'd be either locked out of content or watching it at lower fidelity.

Please, please stop this before new urban legend starts circulating :mad:.

Any movie content is 4:2:0 and 4K Blu Ray will not be exception to this. HDCP 2.2/4:4:4 has thus no meaningful role in the 4K Blu Ray. It may theoretically have a role in gaming/VR but that is speculative.

OH SNAP. The curved 40" is available for purchase on the samsung website! Just placed my order. Shipping says 7-10 days. The total came out to $1,038.11

Will post pics + details when it gets here!

EDIT: Shit, just realized I bought the JU6700 and not the JU7500. The JU6700 is a bit more expensive but I don't mind spending the extra few hundred bucks if it's worth it. Does anyone know the difference? The spec sheets look pretty damn similar.

40" Curved - JU6700 - $949.99 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU6700FXZA
40" Curved - JU7500 - $1399.99 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU7500FXZA

EDIT 2: I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the 2 sets. Is it just the lack of 3D on the 6700? On the comparison tool, the 3d/240hz and 'Ultra Clear Panel Pro' are the only differences I noticed. I called Samsung to cancel my order to get the JU7500 model instead but they weren't able to until the order is 'approved' (since I just placed the order a few minutes ago). I asked the sales rep lady what the difference was between Ultra Clear Panel and Ultra Clear Panel Pro and she said that there probably isn't a difference. Can anyone confirm that?

Comparison tool: http://www.samsung.com/us/compare/?#category/N0000042/products/UN40JU6700FXZA,UN40JU7500FXZA

Last edited:
Hopefully this means the 40" JU6700 supports 4:4:4. Who wants to buy one and test it?:D

I'm not sure what the differences are between the two models. The 7500 has 240Hz vs 120Hz on the 6700, and Clear Panel Pro and Clear Panel are the only other differences (and better sound). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Clear Panel Pro is just an anti-reflective filter.

Last edited:
Hopefully this means the 40" JU6700 supports 4:4:4. Who wants to buy one and test it?:D I'm not sure what the differences are between the two models. The 7500 has 240Hz vs 120Hz on the 6700, and Clear Panel Pro and Clear Panel are the only other differences (and better sound). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Clear Panel Pro is just an anti-reflective filter.

It would b shocking if the 6700 has no support for PC input. Then there is no difference between those sets when used as computer monitors. Frame rate is of no meaning when used with PC @60Hz and slightly more advanced antiglare filter does not matter if one sits in the center without particularily nasty light from the sides or back.

There are of course usual questions about the input lag, potential visibility of trailing and other visual artefacts like backlight uniformity.

Are these VA panels?

Samsung panels are of VA kind. This 40" curved 4K panel begs, really begs, cries and shouts to combine it with the genuine 4K monitor electronics. Maybe Samsung announces such monitor at the CEBIT fair which is at mid-March 2015?

Now a second poster has confirmed this, though, again, no direct evidence or word on the 6500. I'm really hoping they use the same panels, and that the only real difference is higher interpolation/3D! :cool:

Exciting, I'm hoping the 6500 has support as well, $1400 is just too much for me for a monitor, but I could do $1000 ( would need to buy a new video card as well to get hdmi 2.0, so that's at least another 200 for a gtx 960).

I think the 7500 supports 3D as well (that would account for the $400 price difference).

I think the 7500 supports 3D as well (that would account for the $400 price difference).

Debating whether or not to cancel my order and snag the 7500 Instead. I have a 27" 1440p and a 24" 1080p Nvidia 3dvision monitor right now and I pretty much never use 3d. It is damn cool to play with when it does get used though.

I'm not 100% certain whether the 7500 supports 3D, you might want to check on that. AFAIK 3D is on it's way out, so even if you bought one, don't expect many new games to support it. VR is the next big thing.

I'm also not certain how 3D games would work on a 4k display. Would it even work @ 60Hz on a 4k display? Do the Samsung displays use passive glasses? I think a lot of things come in to play with 3D @ 4k.

Edit: Apparently you need to use Tridef Ingnition if you want to game in 4k 3D, and it doesn't support the newest games, you usually have to wait for a profile to be submitted (or figure it out for yourself).

So for $450+$40 more for the software, then taxes, for me it doesn't seem worth it. I'd be better served using the money to upgrade my GPU (next gen) or buying a VR device when it comes out. So it looks like I'll be buying a 6700 if it supports 4:4:4.

Last edited:
Still unsure if this is not actually too big for office use....

No if you position it correctly to be not too high which means lowering down to (almost) touch the desk. Then regarding the width, the display is very wide but curved panel should not have problems due to big angle of view near the edges. Pixel density is same as in the 27" @ 1440p which is quite comfortable. If you look in the thread on Philips 40" monitor, very very few people feel its too big, size is seen as big plus.

Yeah I use a 42" for my daily driver monitor wise.

48" Curved 4K set looks so damn tasty ... I can't wait.

I'm sure with 2015 and the new chips, latency will be great

I'm not 100% certain whether the 7500 supports 3D, you might want to check on that. AFAIK 3D is on it's way out, so even if you bought one, don't expect many new games to support it. VR is the next big thing.

I'm also not certain how 3D games would work on a 4k display. Would it even work @ 60Hz on a 4k display? Do the Samsung displays use passive glasses? I think a lot of things come in to play with 3D @ 4k.

Edit: Apparently you need to use Tridef Ingnition if you want to game in 4k 3D, and it doesn't support the newest games, you usually have to wait for a profile to be submitted (or figure it out for yourself).

So for $450+$40 more for the software, then taxes, for me it doesn't seem worth it. I'd be better served using the money to upgrade my GPU (next gen) or buying a VR device when it comes out. So it looks like I'll be buying a 6700 if it supports 4:4:4.

Yeah the 7500 has active 3D and comes with 1 pair of glasses. I definitely wouldn't be able to play any games at 4k, let alone 3D 4k. My primary machine is the latest gen. 15" macbook pro retina with the 750m so I'd definitely have to lower the resolution/graphic settings by a lot to play anything in 3D. I'm not a huge gamer these days so that's not a big deal for me. I'm a web developer so the extra real estate and moving to a single monitor is the primary attraction. I think I'm just going to stick with the non-3D version and hope that there aren't any huge advantages to the "Ultra Clear Panel Pro" in the 7500 over the regular "Ultra Clear Panel" in the 6700.

Yeah I use a 42" for my daily driver monitor wise.
48" Curved 4K set looks so damn tasty ... I can't wait.

What is your VD (viewing distance)? 48" looks too high for typical desktop use. Curved is the new Holy Grail for big monitors.

I used a 47" S-IPS LG for years prior to my current setup. 1080p left something to be desired at that size, but the screen estate was excellent from a 30" viewing distance. I'm really considering going with the 48" model, since curved 4k will be far more engrossing at a shorter distance.

Bare-minimum distance for my old screen was 18" to avoid head-turning, but I think much further than 24" would start to mitigate benefits of the added resolution on the Samsung.

I used a 47" S-IPS LG for years prior to my current setup. 1080p left something to be desired at that size, but the screen estate was excellent from a 30" viewing distance. I'm really considering going with the 48" model, since curved 4k will be far more engrossing at a shorter distance.
Bare-minimum distance for my old screen was 18" to avoid head-turning, but I think much further than 24" would start to mitigate benefits of the added resolution on the Samsung.

But if the distance is low the display will be too high even it is touching the desk, forcing to move head up/down. The display will also be too wide, curvature will mitigate to certain degree too big angle of view at edges.

General ergonomic prinicple to avoid chronic neck/back problems is to position monitor in such a way that eye height is quite well above the midline of the display, i.e. head is not position upward but rather downward. If one measures typical eye position height over the desk and applies it to the well above midline rule, one comes to the conclusion that 40" is about the maximum. 42" might still be OK but 48" comes out too big. All this refers to typical viewing distance in the range of 20".

For using several windows or viewports "tiled", 40" would probably be ok much like having an array of monitors is. The increased desktop real-estate would be very useful in that scenario even if 40" 4k isn't much smaller than 27" 1440p's ppi. Full screen media/games would be eye and neck bending to the periphery for anything much over 30" at a desk though for sure. I used to have a 37" (1080p) at my desk briefly years ago and moved it back 4' or more on it's own pillar before I sold it. That said, personally I'd like 21:9 for the immersion but more games need to support customizable/mod-able /moveable huds and interface elements so you aren't bending eyes to the extreme perhipery to see those.

Keeping an eye on a 40in curved version. Full chroma 444 and low lag and im in.

Any of these planning to have Quantum Dot?

I owned the 49in LG8500 and it was just too big for desktop use. Gorgeous TV though. Curved displays will help see the edges of these large displays easier compared to flat, when sitting close at a desktop.

But if the distance is low the display will be too high even it is touching the desk, forcing to move head up/down. The display will also be too wide, curvature will mitigate to certain degree too big angle of view at edges.

General ergonomic prinicple to avoid chronic neck/back problems is to position monitor in such a way that eye height is quite well above the midline of the display, i.e. head is not position upward but rather downward. If one measures typical eye position height over the desk and applies it to the well above midline rule, one comes to the conclusion that 40" is about the maximum. 42" might still be OK but 48" comes out too big. All this refers to typical viewing distance in the range of 20".

Desk, seating, and head height vary between person, so this isn't something we can discuss outside of a case-by-case basis.

On my setup, my head was always well above vertical midline of the display, with the bottom of the display about 5 inches off the desk. I would be just above vertical center at a 18" viewing distance on the 48" Samsung.

You can measure this on your setup with a 12" yardstick for the 40", and add 1.5" for the 48" model. These are half-heights of either screen with the stand attatched, a VESA arm should lower this by approx 1" more. :cool:

Desk, seating, and head height vary between person, so this isn't something we can discuss outside of a case-by-case basis. On my setup, my head was always well above vertical midline of the display, with the bottom of the display about 5 inches off the desk. I would be just above vertical center at a 18" viewing distance on the 48" Samsung. You can measure this on your setup with a 12" yardstick for the 40", and add 1.5" for the 48" model. These are half-heights of either screen with the stand attatched, a VESA arm should lower this by approx 1" more. :cool:

Obviously there are individual differences here. I think everybody agrees that 55" is way too big as desktop monitor (maybe except some basketball players :D) so we are really talking about the maximum in the 40"-48" range. I measured my eyes height over the desk level and assumed eyes should be at around 2/3 of the display height. From this I got 40" as maximum, 42" could still be included as absolute maximum . Regarding the 48" its size would very likely get on the uncomfortable side, in particular if one takes into account the distance from the eyes to the corner areas of the display. In any case I see that 48" has to be curved for comfort, flat 48" would not do.

Just wanted to let everyone know I cancelled my order for the JU6700 after realizing that there is no such thing as a diplayport->hdmi 2.0 adapter yet. :(

I have 3 Titans so I can do 4k@60Hz 4:2:0 over HDMI. That should last me until I upgrade.

I want to future proof though, so I'll make sure I buy a HDMI 2.0 display with proper 4:4:4 support.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know I cancelled my order for the JU6700 after realizing that there is no such thing as a diplayport->hdmi 2.0 adapter yet. :(

If you have in mind the current DP 1.2 don't count on such adapter since DP 1.2 is going to be replaced by DP 1.3 anyway quite soon. The only way is to use GTX 9xx series card which has HDMI 2.0.

I have 3 Titans so I can do 4k@60Hz 4:2:0 over HDMI. That should last me until I upgrade. I want to future proof though, so I'll make sure I buy a HDMI 2.0 display with proper 4:4:4 support.

In this case a better way might be waiting for some time to see if Samsung brings genuine monitor based on this panel and with DP connectors.

In this case a better way might be waiting for some time to see if Samsung brings genuine monitor based on this panel and with DP connectors.

As I said in the other thread, that's not likely to happen any time soon as Samsung just released their 27" 1080p curved display. That shows they are lagging a bit behind the times.

The best bet as far as a 40" display with HDMI 2.0/Displayport would be to wait on the Seiki flat display, which seems like it is at least 6mos away.

samsung released a 3440x1440 curved VA one recently too but it's 60hz. I heard they will release a 21:9 3440x1440 curved 144hz g-sync monitor but it could be as late as into 2016 (an acer one should be out sooner).

As I said in the other thread, that's not likely to happen any time soon as Samsung just released their 27" 1080p curved display. That shows they are lagging a bit behind the times. The best bet as far as a 40" display with HDMI 2.0/Displayport would be to wait on the Seiki flat display, which seems like it is at least 6mos away.

The 27"@1080p is indeed the trailing edge of technology, low-end stuff. Now Samsung has 27" low-end, 34" mid-range, and it just begs for a 40" 4K curved high-end. Without information that Samsung has 40" 4K curved panel I would say this is way off in the future. But now the situation is completely changed: the panel exists in mass production, using it in monitor is very logical. In fact it is more logical than making 40" 4K curved UHD TV. The only reason I can imagine why Samsung would not release such monitor soon is waiting for the DP 1.3 monitor electronics and graphics cards with the DP 1.3.

I'm confused....

The 40" curve is good for pc usage? At what rate? How can we plan 3d games with it if it does not do 120hz on a pc...
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU7500FXZA

I just bought an Asus 32" 4k. I'd have no problem dropping 1400 as that's the same going price for the LG/Dell 34" curve......

Can someone clarify if this mod is good for pc usage.

I'm confused....

The 40" curve is good for pc usage? At what rate? How can we plan 3d games with it if it does not do 120hz on a pc...
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU7500FXZA

I just bought an Asus 32" 4k. I'd have no problem dropping 1400 as that's the same going price for the LG/Dell 34" curve......

Can someone clarify if this mod is good for pc usage.

In order to be good for pc usage I say it must have 2 things, 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz and reasonably low input lag. So far some people have confirmed 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz but nobody has really gotten some solid input lag numbers yet but if it's roughly the same as last year's models then yes this is a great display for pc usage.

Back