New NVIDIA control panel now in beta

I'm sticking with NVCP for as long as it's an option - but I'm a creature of habit and can't stand these new-fangled flashy GUI's....
Same, sticking to what has worked without fail for me for over a decade now. I really can't understand the fascination some have in getting it updated and replaced; the NVCP has been a set it and forget it program for me since it's introduction.

Same, sticking to what has worked without fail for me for over a decade now. I really can't understand the fascination some have in getting it updated and replaced; the NVCP has been a set it and forget it program for me since it's introduction.
Same. Unfortunately, enough people begged for an AMD-like panel (form over function) that we're getting it now :(.

Same. Unfortunately, enough people begged for an AMD-like panel (form over function) that we're getting it now :(.
I'm just hoping that the NVCP being an option. Most of these modern UI elements look like absolute garbage. Why Microsoft had to introduce the God awful "modern" UI that still looks like something a 4 year old drew and has so much wasted space is beyond me.

The features that have been brought over to the new app so far in this early beta quite literally “function” miles better. Can open the app, make the change and apply it while you’re still waiting for the ancient NVCP interface to load. It’s pathetic how trash that software is and that they let it go this long.

Wild to me how many people just can’t handle anything being different even if it’s for the better.

The features that have been brought over to the new app so far in this early beta quite literally “function” miles better. Can open the app, make the change and apply it while you’re still waiting for the ancient NVCP interface to load. It’s pathetic how trash that software is and that they let it go this long.

Wild to me how many people just can’t handle anything being different even if it’s for the better.
Disregarding loading speed, what is better and why?

Is gamestream still available? (I still haven't switched to Sunshine or whatever to go with Moonlight on my steam deck)

I'd say the per game optimization menu is much better on the new app. The NVCP version was laggy to load and the interface was never very good for it.
Not to mention the detection algorithm was pretty poor, so I often needed to manually add a game's executable to it. The new one is probably using a similar algorithm to GFE.

Not to mention the detection algorithm was pretty poor, so I often needed to manually add a game's executable to it. The new one is probably using a similar algorithm to GFE.
That hunt through your filesystem for games executables.. ugh, hated that.

yeah i think youre right on that but i think they are killing it all...
speculation from the moonlight guys:
https://github.com/moonlight-stream...IA-GameStream-End-Of-Service-Announcement-FAQ
Well, how they removed it was just replacing GFE entirely because its certainly not available in the new app. It would be strange if they added it back in future beta update.

I am curious how this new app will update, we may have to download it manually for beta period. I don't recall seeing a "check for updates" in it but I'm not home to check.

Please explain to me how having stuff forced on you is "better". I'm waiting.

Computing - both hardware and software - is about minimalism. If you don't need a piece of hardware, you remove it, as it just consumes power, other resources and is a potential cause of instability and problems. If you can't physically remove it, you disable it in BIOS. If you can't disable it in BIOS (due to shitty motherboard) at the very least you disable it in task manager. Nothing you don't use should ever be installed/enabled.

The same goes for software. Actually, even more so. Every time you install anyhting it is a tradeoff. How much do I need the functionality, vs. what am I giving up to get it (space, RAM, CPU cycles, and more importantly, potential instability/conflicts, corporate spyware/malware and unintended security vulnerabilities.

The more shit installed, the more opportunities for defects/issues, so it stands to reason, you only keep the shit you need/want and remove everything else.

And that's why having big complicated features you'll never use forced on you is a HUGE problem.

You shouldn't even be keeping the little tools (Samsung Magician, Corsair iCue, whatever Corsair/Steelseries/Logitech software is required to configure your glowing mouse/keyboard. Install that shit once, in a pre-snapshotted VM, pass through the USB device, configure it, remove it, and restore the VM shitcanning that garbage and never using it again. If you have a bunch of little icons in that little collapsed taskbar area on the bottom right at all times, you are doing it wrong.

I could deal with the UI change. I don't like it. It looks childish and unprofessional, but I could deal. The bloat on the other hand, and the potential issues that come along with it are absolutely unacceptable. I never install Geforce experience. Yes, I didn't like the fact that you had to sign in, and was unwilling to create an account, but even if you didn't, I wouldn't have installed it as it was useless bloat I didn't need. With this app update we are essentially having Geforce experience forced on us against our will, if we have the audacity to ever want to change GPU settings. That is totally unacceptable.

So no. This is not better. This is heavy handed, dystopian and evil.

b9c7189450db224fde899173fe94cb5c73a2aac7.gif

Please explain to me how having stuff forced on you is "better". I'm waiting.

Computing - both hardware and software - is about minimalism. If you don't need a piece of hardware, you remove it, as it just consumes power, other resources and is a potential cause of instability and problems. If you can't physically remove it, you disable it in BIOS. If you can't disable it in BIOS (due to shitty motherboard) at the very least you disable it in task manager. Nothing you don't use should ever be installed/enabled.

The same goes for software. Actually, even more so. Every time you install anyhting it is a tradeoff. How much do I need the functionality, vs. what am I giving up to get it (space, RAM, CPU cycles, and more importantly, potential instability/conflicts, corporate spyware/malware and unintended security vulnerabilities.

The more shit installed, the more opportunities for defects/issues, so it stands to reason, you only keep the shit you need/want and remove everything else.

And that's why having big complicated features you'll never use forced on you is a HUGE problem.

You shouldn't even be keeping the little tools (Samsung Magician, Corsair iCue, whatever Corsair/Steelseries/Logitech software is required to configure your glowing mouse/keyboard. Install that shit once, in a pre-snapshotted VM, pass through the USB device, configure it, remove it, and restore the VM shitcanning that garbage and never using it again. If you have a bunch of little icons in that little collapsed taskbar area on the bottom right at all times, you are doing it wrong.

I could deal with the UI change. I don't like it. It looks childish and unprofessional, but I could deal. The bloat on the other hand, and the potential issues that come along with it are absolutely unacceptable. I never install Geforce experience. Yes, I didn't like the fact that you had to sign in, and was unwilling to create an account, but even if you didn't, I wouldn't have installed it as it was useless bloat I didn't need. With this app update we are essentially having Geforce experience forced on us against our will, if we have the audacity to ever want to change GPU settings. That is totally unacceptable.

So no. This is not better. This is heavy handed, dystopian and evil.
Please don't pollute this thread too.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to the new ui soon enough. It'll be nice having everything in one application now.

Please don't pollute this thread too.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to the new ui soon enough. It'll be nice having everything in one application now.

Yeah, everything in one place.

The one thing I use (settings) and the 20 things I don't use and never will use that have now been forced on me as bloat.

I have no problem at all with updating and rewriting the app. That was probably a good idea after 20+ years of old code. Projects need cleanup every now and then. I'm not crazy about the UI, but I can manage. I'd prefer sometbing more "boring" and professional looking, but this won't be the first time I've been forced to use an app with a UI I don't like. I'll survive.

The big gripe is all the useless functionality I don't need and don't want and will now be polluting my PC. It shouldn't need to be more than a 10kB app. Instead it is hundreds of MB of "gaming" and "streaming" garbage.

Last edited:
So much for Zarathustra[H] 's bloat argument. Boom!

1.) It's not a matter of old codebase vs new codebase. It's a matter of limited codebase vs feature bloat.

2.) The space itself isn't really the biggest part of it. It's actually not a lot by modern standards, but all of those extra functions that are unnecessary are DOING something, and even when not doing something, they could potentially be coerced into doing something by an attacker.

Or they could be conflicting with something else you want your system to be doing.

3.) Just think of how efficient this new code base could have been if it stuck to doing only settings?

1.) It's not a matter of old codebase vs new codebase. It's a matter of limited codebase vs feature bloat.

2.) The space itself isn't really the biggest part of it. It's actually not a lot by modern standards, but all of those extra functions that are unnecessary are DOING something, and even when not doing something, they could potentially be coerced into doing something by an attacker.

Or they could be conflicting with something else you want your system to be doing.

3.) Just think of how efficient this new code base could have been if it stuck to doing only settings?
They could let everyone win and allow users to disable unwanted aspects of the software but, I'll not hold my breath.

They could let everyone win and allow users to disable unwanted aspects of the software but, I'll not hold my breath.
There is often a level of arrogance among these companies.

Like, "If they only see the amazing things we are doing, they are going to love it and want to use it all the time, so we are just going to force it on them. We are really doing them a favor!"

Personally, my take is less is more. Stay off of my computer and out of my life as much as possible, and I will be happy.

This definitely has issues:
1709113942441.png

No idea wtf this is doing, I have to kill it and then it just bloats right back up to 44GB RAM used.

Looks like it might be Shadowplay related, I turned it off and then killed it, and the CPU usage hasn't gone back up to the 7-8% it was staying at pretty much permanently. Which sucks, I mainly downloaded this because of the ability to finally use Shadowplay without any login requirements.

Edit: Nope, started ballooning again. I just uninstalled it for now.

This ^ . The old CPL have been shitty for decades when it comes to configure games. The more games you have installed, the more pain it becomes to find the game you want to tweak and use it. Some might disagree, but I think for most people out there, the 3d settings part of CPL is the one people most frequently would access. Other settings in the old CPL that is not related to gaming, is mostly global and "set and forget" features.

How many of you actually access CPL frequently for other settings then game settings?

If a game developer would implement how to change game settings the same way you need to find individual games in the old CPL, people would rage against the game developer. With the new app, you can find the game you want to make individual settings for and apply very fast compared to the old one. Its still beta, so work needs to be done. But I look forward to when they add overclock (for me undervolt settings and fan control) features and hopefully they make it possible to change framerate cap while in game. For the moment, its only in game profile in CPL and game need to be restarted for it to change.

I also tried out RTX HDR. Much better and easier to tweak then the ones that game developers use for the games that support HDR. Due to time, it was only brief test, but I liked the result and also how user friendly it was. I might be mistaken, but it seems the adjustment for the moment cannot be applied in a per game basis? So any tweaks to the settings are applied globally?

I look forward to the final release! :)

How many of you actually access CPL frequently for other settings then game settings?
Maybe I'm an outlier but I virtually never tweak per-game settings compared to changing other settings there. The Nvidia Profile Inspector utility was always better at changing per-game settings anyway.

Maybe I'm an outlier but I virtually never tweak per-game settings compared to changing other settings there. The Nvidia Profile Inspector utility was always better at changing per-game settings anyway.
Then perhaps you also use CPL rarely to begin with, yes? I can understand that. I have also resorted to third party tools, because the old CPL is too much of a chore to be useful. The new one seems to give more reason to actually be used, instead of avoided unless you are forced to use it. I for one is positive about this change. Real time HDR tweaking and sharpness filter tweaks is a great start. Also the possibility to quickly find a game and set certain tweaks for that game only in the app.

Then perhaps you also use CPL rarely to begin with, yes?
I mainly use it for changing resolution, since I have various custom resolutions and aspect ratios configured for different games. That occurs fairly frequently on my gaming system, while on my main system I have hardly any reason to touch GPU settings.

Tbh for my use cases even if Nvidia App replaced it I wouldn't have any other reason to use it more than the old one, though it seems the App lacks video settings anyway for the time being.

Hopefully they (Nvidia) will get their control panel on par with Radeon Adrenaline control panel so I can have a choice again between the two vendors. My last Nvidia card was a Titan XP and I just hated the control panel compared to the Adrenaline control panel. This is the main reason I haven't purchased an Nvidia card since the Titan. The total and granular control options available with Adrenaline has swayed me to buy their cards exclusively for years now so I'm hoping Nvidia is able to bring all the same functions into their control panel so I can consider another option.

Back