New Gaming computer. What do you guys think? All parts purchased already!! $467.89

burned-ati

Limp Gawd
Hello, how is everyone? So, ive been out of PC building for sometime now! I have been planning on building a system for 3 weeks now, I purchase my i5 3570K processor 2 weeks ago for $165 NEW shipped!! So, its been laying around until i ordered the rest of the parts. So, i just purchased everything i needed this morning. I was a little skeptical about the motherboard i bought. Although i only paid $89 brand new shipped for it on ebay. So, you cannot beat that. It is a $220 board. And it has great features that i will use.

Who has one of these motherboards? I'm curious if there really any good. They seem expensive.

Everything will be here wednesday, besides my cpu. I already have that. And ive got Windows 8 64bit ready to be installed. The system will be up and running wednesday. I plan to purchase a 2nd memory kit, and a 2nd Radeon 7770 in another 2 weeks.. They scale really well when running in crossfire. I must say, im really impressed with what 2- 7770's do. So, with $250 invested in videocards. And it performance like a $400 video card. It is a good buy for me! And they are pretty efficient. So, here my parts! REALLY EXCITED, everything will be here WEDNESDAY!! I pulled a thermaltake Armor= MX out of the closet to install all the parts in to. So, im good with a case. my grand total on this build was $467 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR!!

I spent $467 for everything listed to my door!

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Motherboard $89 new shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121605

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148560

Powersupply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060

Video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161414

Last edited:
I hope that motherboard isn't fried/bricked that you got from eBay, lots of people have issues with that board due to flaky BIOS and crap BIOS updates

Some notes about that board from Intel:

The problem we have noticed is that when motherboard has BIOS version older than 0057 from factory and it is updated to the most recent one (0060) the update for the Intel® Management Engine Interface is not done because BIOS updates after version 0057 don’t include the fix.

It is necessary to update the motherboard BIOS to version 0057 first and then if needed moving to the latest version, but if you are not having any other problem with the board then version 0057 should be more than enough.

In your case, if the BIOS of the board was updated to the latest version, you might want to roll it back to version 0057 to see if that makes a difference.

Intel support page of people having issues you may want to read over:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/29601

Well, its sealed in the box. i'd hope it isnt fried???

Ive read alot of good reviews. And alot of bad ones, and alot of neutral reviews.

Well see how it goes.

Last edited:
I was a little skeptical about the motherboard i bought. Although i only paid $89 brand new shipped for it on ebay. So, you cannot beat that.
Until you actually recieve it and can confirm that it is literally brand new in box, it's still an eBay purchase which means there's always a chance that it was previously used or opened.

It is a $220 board. And it has great features that i will use.
Just because something is expensive doesn't mean that it's good. Judging from the Newegg reviews and the link that xyez posted, that mobo doesn't seem to be all that stable or reliable. At the end of the day, I'd rather pay $90 for an actual $90 good and solid motherboard than $90 for a $220 mobo that's not reliable at all.

a 2nd Radeon 7770 in another 2 weeks.. They scale really well when running in crossfire. I must say, im really impressed with what 2- 7770's do. So, with $250 invested in videocards. And it performance like a $400 video card.
Where did you read this?

You definitely overpaid here a tad: Current Intel platforms do not show enough of a performance difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 2133 in apps and games to justify the added costs.
Cancel the order immediately. This PSU is so shitty that you would have to either ignorant or just plain not-intelligent to use it in a new PC. DO NOT USE THIS PSU!. I recommend this as a replacement:
$55 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

I'm serious: Don't use that PSU. Cancel the order immediately.

Hello, how is everyone? So, ive been out of PC building for sometime now! I have been planning on building a system for 3 weeks now, I purchase my i5 3570K processor 2 weeks ago for $165 NEW shipped!! So, its been laying around until i ordered the rest of the parts. So, i just purchased everything i needed this morning. I was a little skeptical about the motherboard i bought. Although i only paid $89 brand new shipped for it on ebay. So, you cannot beat that. It is a $220 board. And it has great features that i will use.

Who has one of these motherboards? I'm curious if there really any good. They seem expensive.

Everything will be here wednesday, besides my cpu. I already have that. And ive got Windows 8 64bit ready to be installed. The system will be up and running wednesday. I plan to purchase a 2nd memory kit, and a 2nd Radeon 7770 in another 2 weeks.. They scale really well when running in crossfire. I must say, im really impressed with what 2- 7770's do. So, with $250 invested in videocards. And it performance like a $400 video card. It is a good buy for me! And they are pretty efficient. So, here my parts! REALLY EXCITED, everything will be here WEDNESDAY!! I pulled a thermaltake Armor= MX out of the closet to install all the parts in to. So, im good with a case. my grand total on this build was $467 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR!!

I spent $467 for everything listed to my door!

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Motherboard $89 new shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121605

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148560

Powersupply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060

Video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161414

Sell you current GPU and just buy a single better GPU instead of buying another one. Crossfire can be a pain in the ass with negative scaling, stuttering, and poor new game support.

Then return that PSU and cross your fingers with that motherboard. You could have done better for $90.

A lot of PC parts marked as new on eBay aren't.

Last edited:
HARD FORUM CHANGED ALL MY LINKS TO AMAZON. THERE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NEWEGG, AND MORE EXPENSIVE THAN WHAT I PAID.

Well, i spoke with the guy i bought the board from. It was confirmed as new. He has great feedback. Also, if not? and i have problems, "file claim" moneyback through paypal. I like the features of it, And im hoping i can get it to work properly. Than switch to another board.

Also, The power supply is nice! It performs very well. 83% efficient at full load. I read a review before i bought it. Im spending under $45 on a psu. Its not like im buying a car. It has a active PFC, single 12v rail 35 amps, and it has all the connections i need, and i liked the way it looked. And the reviews! PLUS A 5 YEAR WARRANTY..

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234

The 7770's do great in crossfire! get 2 of them for $250 and they do this, Theres a review below. My monitor only supports 1680/1050
I could be wrong but, it looked to me like they did on par with a 7950, and right behind a 7970. And 2 of them are the same price as a 7870

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/45...0_1gb_oc_video_cards_in_crossfire/index1.html

And how do you overpay on 8GB of memory? i mean, its tight timming 1866mhz. I just wanted some nice memory, it has great reviews. The motherboard im getting supports it and, its cheap! , its cas 9 and its good ram! and $42 dollars.. Why do you think i overpaid?

Ive done my research, and im well aware of the issues you can run in to with the motherboard, im prepared to put in time to resolve these, because i know how to do that kind of stuff lol. that is the board i want, bases on the features it has, i really need those options. Its a motherboard and its meant to work. Also, 2 7770's does do well in the benchmarks! after your rebates your about $200 in on both 7770's and it has high end GPU performance. Not to mention there great on POWER!

Although, i asked for feedback and i got it. You guys managed to pick apart everything i bought.

I put $467 in this system. And $580 with 7770 in crossfire, Look at the 7770 crossfire review danny..

Last edited:
You are basing way too much on spec sheets, MSRP, and limited reviews.

And how do you overpay on 8GB of memory? i mean, its tight timming 1866mhz. I just wanted some nice memory, it has great reviews. The motherboard im getting supports it and, its cheap! Honestly i think i bought it because its yellow lol. who cares, its cas 9 and its good ram!

Here is the problem: You overpaid because such tight-timing high-speed RAM actually delivers only around a 1 percent real-world performance increase over the more standard DDR3-1333 CL9 RAM. Thus, the real-world performance increase comes nowhere close to matching the huge (30 to 50 percent) price increase.

What do you guys think? All parts purchased already!!

I think you did that backwards.If you already bought everything, then why are you asking? Unless you want a pat on the back or something?

HARD FORUM CHANGED ALL MY LINKS TO AMAZON. THERE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NEWEGG, AND MORE EXPENSIVE THAN WHAT I PAID.

HardForums did not. Click on one of your links and see what it does. It goes to a page with a timer that you can click to bypass and continue to Newegg, or do nothing and continue to Amazon. That page will explain why. Hint - It generates money for HardForum and thus keeps it operational.

Ive done my research

Then why create this thread?

Also, 2 7770's does do well in the benchmarks! after your rebates your about $200 in on both 7770's and it has high end GPU performance. Not to mention there great on POWER!

Radeon 7770 versus 7870

The 7870 is around 2x faster across the board. I see them starting at $210 after rebate. Crossfire does not scale 100%, and with a single faster card you still have room for upgrading by adding a second.

Although, i asked for feedback and i got it. You guys managed to pick apart everything i bought.

That will happen. ;)

Here is the problem: You overpaid because such tight-timing high-speed RAM actually delivers only around a 1 percent real-world performance increase over the more standard DDR3-1333 CL9 RAM. Thus, the real-world performance increase comes nowhere close to matching the huge (30 to 50 percent) price increase.

Then why are you running DDR3 1600mhz?

Then why are you running DDR3 1600mhz?

Got it only because it cost me the same price as the "slower" RAM that I saw in the shop where I got it from. Besides, DDR3-1600 is officially the maximum supported memory speed of the current Ivy Bridge CPUs. Anything faster requires (or more specifically forces) overclocking of the memory controller.

I think you did that backwards.If you already bought everything, then why are you asking? Unless you want a pat on the back or something?

HardForums did not. Click on one of your links and see what it does. It goes to a page with a timer that you can click to bypass and continue to Newegg, or do nothing and continue to Amazon. That page will explain why. Hint - It generates money for HardForum and thus keeps it operational.

Then why create this thread?

Radeon 7770 versus 7870

The 7870 is around 2x faster across the board. I see them starting at $210 after rebate. Crossfire does not scale 100%, and with a single faster card you still have room for upgrading by adding a second.

That will happen. ;)

I created the thread, because i wanted to share my build with fellow computer builders. I didnt need you guys to help me. Or pat my back. of course not. more or less. "hey bro, dont use these drivers if your doing cross fire! Not, ohhh dude! Your video card is a piece of shit, and motherboard, and ur PSU will blow up lol. Well,,, i mean Danny bui has a slow processor lol. I dont care haha, and a old video card. thats 3% faster than a 7770 lol But that all doesnt matter. Its a computer, and he loves his system im sure! And hes proubly proud of it to.

And i bought the 7770 because i could only afford that, i know theres a faster card out there. but its still $100 more than what i wanted to spend after the rebate lol.

a 7850, and a 7870 is fast! And there $169-$239 in price.

Umm, dude, you can still access the Newegg by clicking "here" next to "You may still go to the original link".

Also, The power supply is nice! It performs very well. 83% efficient at full load. I read a review before i bought it. Im spending under $45 on a psu. Its not like im buying a car. It has a active PFC, single 12v rail 35 amps, and it has all the connections i need, and i liked the way it looked. And the reviews! PLUS A 5 YEAR WARRANTY..

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234.
Did you miss the part in the review about its Over temperature protection kicking in at a low level? In other words, if you don't keep that PSU cool, it'll shut down. Even if we ignore the temperature issue, at $45 (no I'm not counting the rebate since you have not recieved it yet), it's still overpriced considering that $10 more gets you a significantly better quality PSU

The 7770's do great in crossfire! get 2 of them for $250 and they do this, Theres a review below. My monitor only supports 1680/1050

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/45...0_1gb_oc_video_cards_in_crossfire/index1.html
Then you really didn't need Crossfire in the first place since you only have 1680x1050. You would have been fine with a single GPU. In any case, my main issue with your choice of GPUs is that you paid $250 for a total of 1GB of VRAM. That's just bad considering that there are quite a few games, even at the low resolution of 1680x1050, that'll use more than 1GB of VRAM. Combined that with Windows 7's and 8's own VRAM usage, sooner or later you're gonna run into VRAM issues. Yes that Tweaktown review (BTW hate that website for constantly refreshing its fucking pages) shows that HD 7770 1GB CFX does work well. But note that those were mostly relatively old games. Missing from that Tweaktown review was BF3 multi-player, Skyrim + HD texture packs, etc, games that would really push HD 7770 1GB CFX.

So in other words, I would have gone with the HD 7850 2GB, HD 7870 2GB, or the HD 7950 3GB since those would actually have more longevity than HD 7770 1GB CFX due to the extra VRAM.

Nothing personal. Generally we get a lot of people in this subforum asking for build list help before they buy. Since you're helping someone spend their hard-earned money, not yours, you tend to try to make sure that they're getting the best for their money. Not to mention all the lurkers we get in this subforum may want to emulate builds they see in these threads. So we have to make sure that those lurkers don't go buy parts that we would not recommend to any sane person. We do all of that by picking apart builds to make sure everything is copacetic.

Yea your right danny, i didnt like that safety feature either on the PSU. Although, its not really early. It just kicks in right at 450 watts lol. Which is kind of stupid. But hey. My system is not going to draw to much power. Bare minimum, budget computer.

And, the 1gb does suck! Honestly. I do hate that, but this single 7770 just has to get me by for the next 2 weeks. Ive seen some 2gb 7770's on ebay for around $140. That would help with the limited memory issue. I know in crossfire it doesnt combine memory. But, i can use the 2gb model as the main card.

All i want to do is play some video games. I have not in some time now. accept a android device. Not as fun!

Yea your right danny, i didnt like that safety feature either on the PSU. Although, its not really early. It just kicks in right at 450 watts lol. Which is kind of stupid. But hey. My system is not going to draw to much power. Bare minimum, budget computer.

And, the 1gb does suck! Honestly. I do hate that, but this single 7770 just has to get me by for the next 2 weeks. Ive seen some 2gb 7770's on ebay for around $140. That would help with the limited memory issue. I know in crossfire it doesnt combine memory. But, i can use the 2gb model as the main card.

All i want to do is play some video games. I have not in some time now. accept a android device. Not as fun!

I mean honestly, next time you should just ask first and then buy later. If you're talking about purchasing a video card with 2GB of RAM... Just sell the one you bought or return it for a refund. Then - use your i5's onboard video and watch the For Sale forums we have here like a hawk. I just scored a GeForce GTX 560 2GB for $135. And it's a pretty good deal faster than that Radeon HD-7770 AND it has enough VRAM for the Skyrim texture packs I want to run.

And no - I'm not trying to make you feel bad. No one's trying to "scold" you, but the truth is that if you had asked before you bought, you could have had a system that would meet your immediate goals AND take you into the future.

But, i can use the 2gb model as the main card.

i just want to point out that in crossfire, you can use 2 cards in the same series, but the faster/better card will take on the attributes of the slower/worse card. so if you had a 2gb 7770 with a 1gb 7770, you'll end up with the same performance as 2 1gb 7770's.

hope this helps and i hope you are happy with your build once it's all together :D

I mean honestly, next time you should just ask first and then buy later. If you're talking about purchasing a video card with 2GB of RAM... Just sell the one you bought or return it for a refund. Then - use your i5's onboard video and watch the For Sale forums we have here like a hawk. I just scored a GeForce GTX 560 2GB for $135. And it's a pretty good deal faster than that Radeon HD-7770 AND it has enough VRAM for the Skyrim texture packs I want to run.

lol i tried that. I bought a radeon 6950, i was going to flash it. Although it was DOA. Got it for $110

Last edited:
jbltecnicspro's point is still valid: A dual-7770 CF setup isn't the best way to go.

Count me in as another vote for the "save your money and buy a decent card" option.

These threads almost never go as planned by the OP who creates them.

I basically agree with most everyone's opinion on the matter. Especially the one about the PSU. I wouldn't trust that to power fans.

Originally Posted by burned-ati
a 2nd Radeon 7770 in another 2 weeks.. They scale really well when running in crossfire. I must say, im really impressed with what 2- 7770's do. So, with $250 invested in videocards. And it performance like a $400 video card.

for $50 more you could of gotten a 7950 would kick the crap out of SLI low/mid end cards AND have none of the problems of Xfire................

I don't think you were asking for opinions, you were asking for affirmation that you did a good job purchasing the right components. You want to feel good about your purchases but you could have done better if you had come here first and got some advice before you bought it. There is a huge knowledge base among the users of this forum, and even people with a lot of computer building experience come here for advice, usually before they purchase things. ;)

Also, ignoring the advice given about your PSU is pretty risky. Its certainly possible that you never have a problem with it, many people haven't. But enough people have problems with cheap PSUs like that one that most of us here dont skimp on them. There are enough affordable but good quality power supplies that there is no need to buy inferior ones. If my computer starts locking up, etc. my PSU is not the first thing I need to check because I have always gone with quality units (reviewed by [H] and Jonnyguru who actually use good testing equipment, not just a volt meter). With the PSU you bought it should be the first thing you check, and for most people that means getting another PSU to swap it out with. You don't save any money that way.

im only playing 1680/1050

Honestly, I agree with the others: Dual-low-end-GPU CFX is not the way to go, in your case. In fact, CFXing a 2GB card with a 1GB card will give you only 1GB of total VRAM available for CFX (if that 1GB of VRAM runs out, the game will start stealing system RAM, which might result in the game running far slower than desired or even the game crashing back to the Windows desktop). That alone renders the 2GB card a total waste. Plus, there are games out there that absolutely need something that has more power and more memory than a 1GB HD 7770 even when played at a resolution of 1366x768 (the minimum resolution that many of today's games require) with the detail/quality settings turned up to at least Medium.

I don't think you were asking for opinions, you were asking for affirmation that you did a good job purchasing the right components. You want to feel good about your purchases but you could have done better if you had come here first and got some advice before you bought it. There is a huge knowledge base among the users of this forum, and even people with a lot of computer building experience come here for advice, usually before they purchase things. ;)

Also, ignoring the advice given about your PSU is pretty risky. Its certainly possible that you never have a problem with it, many people haven't. But enough people have problems with cheap PSUs like that one that most of us here dont skimp on them. There are enough affordable but good quality power supplies that there is no need to buy inferior ones. If my computer starts locking up, etc. my PSU is not the first thing I need to check because I have always gone with quality units (reviewed by [H] and Jonnyguru who actually use good testing equipment, not just a volt meter). With the PSU you bought it should be the first thing you check, and for most people that means getting another PSU to swap it out with. You don't save any money that way.

I did my research, most cheap psu are cheap inside. Although, how this one is built inside. Its done very well. The only flaw is, you cannot draw more than its rated 450W..

It has every component inplace like a decent powersupply, 83% effiecient, PFC, 2 ferrite coils,2 ceramic capacitors, blue y capacitors, metalized polyestor capacitor, and one MOV.

MOST CHEAP.. power supplies, remover the MOV, and the first coil..

Although, everything is there inside this one. So, i was built ok.

I know, its cheap.. And i know you cannot go cheap on a PSU. but, i went with a stable CHEAP PSU!! So, one guy says he wouldnt power fans with it. huh? really?

This is just a temporary power supply. I just needed something to get my computer running.

Let me tell you all what im using now, a Intel P4, 512MB memory, 80Gb harddrive. integrated video. its killing me...

Honestly, I agree with the others: Dual-low-end-GPU CFX is not the way to go, in your case. In fact, CFXing a 2GB card with a 1GB card will give you only 1GB of total VRAM available for CFX (if that 1GB of VRAM runs out, the game will start stealing system RAM, which might result in the game running far slower than desired or even the game crashing back to the Windows desktop). That alone renders the 2GB card a total waste. Plus, there are games out there that absolutely need something that has more power and more memory than a 1GB HD 7770 even when played at a resolution of 1366x768 (the minimum resolution that many of today's games require) with the detail/quality settings turned up to at least Medium.

I will have no problems running games on high with a single 7770, at 1680/1050

i mean, people run games like bf3 on ultra with no issues.

Listen to us for once -- DON'T DO IT!

Use the money you would have spent on the second 7770 to buy the Antec NEO ECO 520C (or the 620C if you insist on keeping your CrossFire dreams alive).

Why does your signature have a whole other system in it if you're currently running a P4?

Listen to us for once -- DON'T DO IT!

Use the money you would have spent on the second 7770 to buy the Antec NEO ECO 520C (or the 620C if you insist on keeping your CrossFire dreams alive).

I will buy the antec 520C powersupply. I was tight on funds with this build. left me with 3 cents in paypal after buying everything. Just i sold something on ebay, and thats all i had to spend at the time.

Ive got more to spend now though.

Processor was a good choice. The motherboard was an OK choice. I'd have gone with an ASUS P8Z77-V or something like the MSI Z77A-GD65 over that one though. The memory isn't the greatest choice. Intel CPUs do not benefit much from tighter timings or clock speeds above DDR3 1600MHz. Sure the benchmarks improve but actual game or application performance is largely uneffected by it. (And before you ask, I'm running DDR3 1866MHz modules because the 32GB kit was on sale.) The PSU isn't the greatest choice and I'd have gone a different route with the video card.

I'd have purchased a Radeon HD 7970GHz Edition or a GTX 680 4GB card instead. Low end and midrange GPU's in CrossfireX/SLI are just not worth messing with. They tend to have less VRAM than a higher end single card and come with all the drawbacks and complications multiple GPUs have to offer without having the performance to make it worth while.

Just my $0.02.

lol i tried that. I bought a radeon 6950, i was going to flash it. Although it was DOA. Got it for $110

Did you? Have you contacted the seller to get a refund back? What came of it?

Well,,, i mean Danny bui has a slow processor lol. I dont care haha, and a old video card. thats 3% faster than a 7770 lol But that all doesnt matter. Its a computer, and he loves his system im sure! And hes proubly proud of it to.
What does my system have to do with anything in this thread?

Until you actually recieve it and can confirm that it is literally brand new in box, it's still an eBay purchase which means there's always a chance that it was previously used or opened.

Probably have better luck with ebay than Newegg in that department :p

I haven't had that problem with Newegg fortunately.

Yeah, I'm Australian so I have nothing to do with Newegg if I wanted to or not. Just joking by what I have heard from the odd American.

Ebay is fine if you get a 99.8% positive seller who has sold thousands of things.

Back