New drivers on AMD site

I was just going to post about these, and the fact that the link is dead :(. These are far newer than the leaked ones I'm using with my 5850....

Yup, seen those and waiting form them impatiently. Just got Asus 5850 Today and can't wait to squeeze out all the juice out of it.

So, we might get new drivers today?....probably just an update for the new cards, and not a performance update for the flagship 5870.

I really hope these drivers fix some of the artifacting that's been going on in The Witcher... and for me, GTAIV (That was on XP though, haven't tried on Vista).

hmmm, don't suppose ati tends to release details with their drivers do they?

20% performance increase across the board!

More Powah!!!

Seriously though... Ohh all wise ATI gurus here. ATI nooob here. Been with the green team for too long....

If I have a XFX 5850 and later get an Asus 5850, can I use the Asus drivers later on and get the volt tweaks when I x-fire the cards?

Is there windows xp version of the drivers? Or vista/windows 7 drivers will work on windows xp?

Last edited:
If they work on 4800-series cards and fix all the memory leaks and assorted issues with OpenGL VBO's, you could almost accuse the Catalyst team of writing decent drives.

The driver is downloadable now ( as in they've uplaoded actal file ).
Downloaded it already and I'm set for testing :)

Anyone know the answer to this? Tried googling it, but my obviously my google skills are lacking. Hence...

If I have a XFX 5850 and later get an Asus 5850, can I use the Asus drivers later on and get the volt tweaks when I x-fire the cards?

It's not Asus drivers, they're generic as all others. It is about bios, I believe it is already available online ( just google it ). Once card is flashed you will be able to use Asus volt change/overclocking utility.

Anyone know the answer to this? Tried googling it, but my obviously my google skills are lacking. Hence...

It's not Asus drivers, they're generic as all others. It is about bios, I believe it is already available online ( just google it ). Once card is flashed you will be able to use Asus volt change/overclocking utility.

Thanks for answering regarding drivers, if I didn't do the bios flash, but bought an Asus card in addition to the XFX I have coming, could I get the Asus functionality for both when installed in Xfire? I seriously would have went with a 5870 to save myself fromt the trouble, but the fucker just wouldn't fit in my case...

Does anyone have experience with crossfiring cards from different manufacturers?

Downloading now for 5870....not sure if this is a real update..I might test w/ 3D Vantage to check it.

UPDATE:

Driver is:

ATI Display Driver
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.660.6.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes

Looks like the same/existing driver number......ie., 8.66.........nothing new?

Last edited:
I just installed them and verified they are the same drivers we used for testing the HD 5770 and HD 5750, which means they contain the latest bug fixes and PCI-e optimization.

it is the same driver that hardOCP tested, just like brent said. but I got a 500 points boost in 3dmark at the same oc settings of 920/1250 from the previous beta driver, my gpu score finally broke 17k

These work for the HD3870 as well?

The reason being is because I hope it fixes the missing textures issue with Anno 1404.

If you use window mode, that problem goes away. Would be nice if they fixed this.

What exactly is going on with ATI in regards to game fixes anyway? Go back even just a year and every driver release is packed with fixes for the latest games. It seems though since then that every new driver release has less and less fixes for games.

I'm thinking they've either gotten complacent and decided not to fix problems with games except for the most egregious display problems, or they're just not documenting the fixes in the PDF files in an effort to look like their drivers are "perfect". Kind of like how patches for 360 games are very rarely documented as to what they actually fix.

I'm not having any issues with my 5850 at all. I'm running Vista 32bit and i have not had any of the flickering or textures problems that you guys are having. Honestly i have not had those kind of problems with Ati drivers in years. Dont get me wrong, i'm not bragging, i guess i feel lucky then that i'm not having issues. Are you guys sure thier is not something on your system causing conflicts? Have you used drivercleaner to uninstall old drivers before putting on the new ones? Is your card getting enough juice from your power supply? I have had problems similar to these in the past with my 8800gt, then my 4850. it turned out to be the system and not the card or the drivers.

I'm not having any issues with my 5850 at all. I'm running Vista 32bit and i have not had any of the flickering or textures problems that you guys are having. Honestly i have not had those kind of problems with Ati drivers in years. Dont get me wrong, i'm not bragging, i guess i feel lucky then that i'm not having issues. Are you guys sure thier is not something on your system causing conflicts? Have you used drivercleaner to uninstall old drivers before putting on the new ones? Is your card getting enough juice from your power supply? I have had problems similar to these in the past with my 8800gt, then my 4850. it turned out to be the system and not the card or the drivers.

So basically what you're saying is that all 58xx owners except you have messed up systems?

Well i dont consider a handful of people in a forum every other owner, your kinda stretching it on that one. I can also say its easy for people to place the blame on the video card if they are getting corruption. If you look at kyles review, he had issues with RE5, but not with any of the other games....hmmmmmmmmm... so is it safe to say then that RE5 may be a programming issue and not a driver issue. If the reviewers are not getting the corruption that you are, then maybe its your system? I keep my system clean, and i'm not having any problems. So the question is, why does it have to be the card, why cant it be the game, or your system? If you want your card to work right, why not explore all possibilites, and not just lay blame on one. If you know what your doing, you dont need me to tell you this;)

There aren't that many issues with the 5870.. the only one i know of that is definitely related to the card/drivers is The Witcher. I bet you anything if you fired the game up with the previous drivers, you'd experience artifacting.

Playing in windows fixes it but it will come back after time. I've also been having nasty crashes, but they happen less often with a Vista hotfix that addresses an out of virtual memory issue. Still happens though. Whatever... i'll just hold out until Windows 7.. cba to try and fix everything just for this one game i'm having issues with.

Downloading now... can't wait to see if it fixes the artifacting in Witcher... :)

I cant confirm that myself, i dont have The witcher. I did not use the drivers that came with the card. I never use the drivers that ship with a product. they are almost always behind, and updated versions are usually available. I downloaded the latest drivers on AMD's site after i put the card in my system, and my copy of vista is completely up to date. The problems your having with the witcher though most likely is the card, as a friend of mine plays it on his 4850 and it looks great. i'm only suggesting to other users that they explore all possibilites. After all a new card with new drivers can have problems, then again so can new games that need a patch.

Nope, its not me. There are others having this exact same issue and they all have 5xxx series cards. I'm sure the 4xxx series doesn't have problems, but this issue is with the 5xxx series. Though I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks theres a solution other than to wait for better driver updates.... But like I said, a quick google search will show others having the same problem as me and they all are using cards from the 5xxx series.

The drivers didn't fix the issue btw, the artifacting is still there. Other games work fine... the only two i'm facing issues with is Witcher and Street Fighter IV.

I get a Microsoft C++ Runtime error when i try to load up SFIV. I think its because the game is trying to detect the hardware i'm using, and it probably doesn't recognize the 5870 yet, so it crashes and voila... runtime error.

Back