New Case To Last?

woody75

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to buy a new case this week and am looking at the Storm Scout or HAF 922. I plan to spend around $100 +/- $20. I am using an OC'd i7 930 and my primary requirement for this case is keeping it cool. I've heard the Scout is good but lacks much space for GPUs. I'd like to have a case to last that will handle a couple larger GPUs later. Right now, I'm using a single 6870 and plan to add another one in a year or so.

Any suggestions? Maybe a lower end Lian Li or will the 922/Scout be fine?

If your stuck on a mid-tower either one should work. But I would only get the scout if you plan on regularly moving the computer otherwise I would go with the 922. Though if future planning is the target you might want to look at full towers so that you don't get caught out. If the $120 isn't counting shipping and your not getting shipping for free, you might want to look at the Haf 932 ATI edition on newegg, has free shipping.

A Fractal R3 might be a good full tower buy as well.

Only suggestion I can make is to get something quality. As little plastic as possible, the higher grade the metal the better because it will just be more rugged and robust.

I love my Fractal XL. It may cost a bit more than your budget, so maybe the R3 might be better. But either case is a great deal. Solid, and the XL is easily the best case I have ever owned..

Honestly one of my favorite cases was my cheap Compucase HEC Blitz black steel edition, there wasnt much in the way of wire routing but it was $32 then i bought it had a mesh window but it only came with 2 120s but you could fit 5 120s in it, i had yate loons it fit 3 hdds. you know ill just link you it would be easier its nothing fancy but it looks decent enough and works very. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=blitz_black_steel-_-11-121-096-_-Product i took that thing everywhere and it had a lot of use but its still a great case, i plan on putting a intel nvidia rig in it and paint all the mesh green.

Thank you for all the inputs. I don't really have a budget, just don't see a need to spend so much on the case but maybe I need to look into it some more.

what is it that you are looking for in a case? can you go into detail, i can help some more if i knew more.

Primarily, I want great airflow. Secondly, I'd like room for a crossfire setup without being too cramped (it's looking like full ATX is going to be the answer). Those are my 2 primary concerns.

If you're willing to spend the $250 or so, I would highly recommend the Silverstone FT02, it's just a great case overall. Has amazing airflow, provides sufficient room for high-end parts or SLI/crossfire configurations, and has that understated look, the aesthetics of which I enjoy immensely. Also, it utilizes an aluminum unibody frame, so it's slightly lighter than the aforementioned HAF 932, while also retaining structural integrity. It's just a great case overall.

Storm scout sucks balls, the HAF 932 is real nice for your budget though. My favorite case I've been using for numerous builds has been the CM 690 II advanced, I love it! Plenty of room for large GPUs as well.

Storm scout sucks balls, the HAF 932 is real nice for your budget though. My favorite case I've been using for numerous builds has been the CM 690 II advanced, I love it! Plenty of room for large GPUs as well.

My only gripe with the 690 is not all the HD bays have a fan blowing over them. When you run 6 drives, it's pretty much a necessity.

well the silverstone FT02 is a great case, HAF series are great cases for air flow, the 690 is awesome, the phantom is nice, i would go with a HAF case and sink money into thermal compounds, IC Diamond is the one i would pick not much more if not any more expensive but diamond is 2-5 times better at heat transfer than silver, and heatsinks because the best airflow is useless if your running weak coolers, get cpu and gpu coolers.

I am going to second the recommendation for a HAF. If you can spend the money get the HAF X, but if not the 932 is an awesome case.

Again your looking for something to last you a long time. Get something that has ample room for everything. Something that's so big no matter what you want to do you know it should work out great.

That screams 700/800D, Haf 932/X, Antec 1200, Antec DF85, Some of the large Lian Li's, Fractal XL, and so on. Spend an extra $50 bucks now and be comfortable in the idea that it will work with almost all configurations you can for see.

Last edited:
Antec if you want steel, Lian Li if you want Aluminum. I had a ATCS 840, arguably CoolerMaster's highest end case... and I was never impressed with build quality. Just stupid little things, like the headphones and microphone ports being reversed, etc.

just go with a lancool, its lian li's steel case brand and they have lots of niffty features.

Got a bunch of plastic crap on it the avoidance of which is a large part of why I've had so many Lian Li cases, so seems counter-productive to me, but if you like that look I'm sure it's a solid option.

Back