new build wont boot...

QES

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. I just finished putting a system together yesterday.

i5 4670k
H80i heatsink
Asus z87-a
Corsair hx750
Gskill ripjaws 12800cl 16gb kit ( x2 8gb)
Samsung 840 250gb

I assembled it yesterday, had no problems booting up right away and going into BIOS. I installed windows then, installed the Asus suite software and did windows updates/drivers. So then I restarted into BIOS to do some overclocking. Tried for 46 multiplier to see if I was lucky, ended up failing. So tried to do 44 and it restarted like normal, but now there's no video on my display, planar sa2311w.

This is mainly my issue, the CPU led light is on on the mobo.
Tried clearing cmos with jumper, take battery out for 15 seconds. Unplugged 24 ping and 8 pin power and reconnected, reseat the CPU and thermal paste after multiple tries of trying toreset it. Just every time I start there's no video and the CPU led light is on. Any ideas?

Did you try booting with just the onboard video?

Keep the battery out for a full minute.

Yes that is what I've been trying to do. My video card didn't arrive until today, so I figured I should just not install it yet since it happened without it already.

I was using the onboard video to install windows last night and then oc it so I could pop in my card and play today.

Tried taking out the battery and unplugging 24 pin power for 10 mins before plugging back in and trying to boot. Still just turns on, has CPU light on with no signal to my display.

If you have a video card, plug it in and see what happens. It can't hurt.

Also, see if there's any jumpers that resets your settings as well.

No change with the video card or jumpers. Still no signal, sooo frustrating as it was fine right away.

Did you make sure to turn on the monitor?
Did you test that monitor with another PC?
Test the PSU and RAM in another system if you can.

Found out the issue. CPU is dead, brought it in to a local shop as I figured it was either that or the motherboard. Amazon will have me a new one by friday though thankfully. I'm going to bring the motherboard in this week and get that tested and make sure nothing got fried in it. None of my friends have a haswell system.

Ok so I got the CPU today. drop it in, try to boot. Now the memory light is on, using the mem ok! button hasn't got it to post. Tried resetting cmos with battery and jumpers again. Tested ram in another system and it works.. Anything you can think of to try now? I'm assuming something must've shorted on the motherboard when the cpu went, but was hoping I could just replace the CPU. I've run out of ideas to try at the moment. Talked to my local pc shop and they can't test the motherboard until Wednesday :(

Back