Never Download “Codecs” or “Players” To Watch Videos Online

Flash, Java, K-lite Mega, Anydvd, and Totalmedia Theater 6.0 handles all my media needs. So yes, I do still download codecs. VLC is the ugliest piece of software I've ever used. I'll stick to Media Player Classic from K-Lite.

MPC and K-Lite continues to be the gold standard.

But frankly I don't think "informing" people not to download video players will help. I make my living on these kinds of repairs also and I can safely say that 2/3 or more of people where I can plainly see the malware got a foothold from a "video player" don't even have the slightest dang clue that they were downloading a video player or even WHY.

ME: "What were you doing when the problem started?"

USER: "I have no idea, clicking on stuff I guess. It was fine yesterday. I'm always REALLLLLLLY CAREFUL! I SWEAR! Oh, and why doesn't my antivirus software stop this stuff?"

VwrXjGq.png

classic scam typo ftw!

Are people really still falling for this trick?

Yes.

After YEARS of abuse, I finally put my foot down and told my family I wasn't fixing their stupidity anymore last month, after I gave them huge lists of "Don't do this on the internet anymore" and let them all know they'd be taking their PCs to shops to fix.
The silence was golden for all of 3 days before I had family calling for help again, which to all I offered to fix for $500 each (up front, cash only).

Now I have silence again....:D
I might be getting called a dick by my family but I have silence again.

The only virus I got on my computer was after clicking some codec message after clicking a link to see Halle Berry's boobs. Never did get to see them dang things....

The only virus I got on my computer was after clicking some codec message after clicking a link to see Halle Berry's boobs. Never did get to see them dang things....

Good shot of those things in "Swordfish" which is a pretty good movie too. Hackers and stuff.

Yes.

After YEARS of abuse, I finally put my foot down and told my family I wasn't fixing their stupidity anymore last month, after I gave them huge lists of "Don't do this on the internet anymore" and let them all know they'd be taking their PCs to shops to fix.
The silence was golden for all of 3 days before I had family calling for help again, which to all I offered to fix for $500 each (up front, cash only).

Now I have silence again....:D
I might be getting called a dick by my family but I have silence again.

"But you're one of those computer guys. You like to spend hours of your time working on computers and stuff! If you're not fixing my computer, then you're just going to be at home on your own computer anyway so what's the difference?"

Yes, it was awkward at Thanksgiving at first considering it was only a couple weeks prior I had cussed out multiple people and told them where they could shove their computers, but since then we just don't talk about it and no one asks me to waste hours of my time fixing their dumb crap. Their computers of course are all jacked up again and they know it, but they leave me alone. It's not like I wasn't working full time, so they'd expect me to spend an entire day from my weekend to backup their crap, reinstall everything, copy their crap back over, as if I had nothing better to be doing. At one point I had folders full of drivers labeled for family members computers so I wouldn't have to hunt them down later.

Having spoken about this with some friends that are mechanics/car guys, they get the same BS too. Family members basically expecting free labor, not understanding that sometimes specialty tools need to be purchased, being shocked when they find out parts cost money, etc.

"But you're one of those computer guys. You like to spend hours of your time working on computers and stuff! If you're not fixing my computer, then you're just going to be at home on your own computer anyway so what's the difference?"

Yes, it was awkward at Thanksgiving at first considering it was only a couple weeks prior I had cussed out multiple people and told them where they could shove their computers, but since then we just don't talk about it and no one asks me to waste hours of my time fixing their dumb crap. Their computers of course are all jacked up again and they know it, but they leave me alone. It's not like I wasn't working full time, so they'd expect me to spend an entire day from my weekend to backup their crap, reinstall everything, copy their crap back over, as if I had nothing better to be doing. At one point I had folders full of drivers labeled for family members computers so I wouldn't have to hunt them down later.

Having spoken about this with some friends that are mechanics/car guys, they get the same BS too. Family members basically expecting free labor, not understanding that sometimes specialty tools need to be purchased, being shocked when they find out parts cost money, etc.

My father was a GM certified mechanic as well, so in order to have any father/ son time I had to learn to fix cars....
Yup, I went YEARS without personal time between cars and pc's, and this is OHIO, so I'd get an ass of an aunt trying to get me to fix fuel or brake lines in the dead of winter as well.
My grandfather was a certified electrician, he never got a minute of peace either.
All you ever hear is "BUT WE'RE FAMILY!!" But those same people you spend every second helping are never there when you need them.

Either you have been living under a rock, or you are a bit confused between DVD and Blu-Ray and which versions of windows include DVD codecs.

You have been able to watch DVD's on WinXP, Win Vista, and Win7 since day one with no additional software. Drop in dvd, windows media player or any free to use player would play it with the microsoft provided codec.

XP & Vista never had the MPEG-2 codec as part of the OS. And only premium or enterprise versions of Win 7 had it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dvd-playback-help

But DVD player apps like WinDVD were bundled in almost all "multimedia" systems for over a decade. That's where the MPEG-2 codec comes from. The MPEG-2 royalty was paid by the system manufacturer, not by MSFT.

Back