Need urgent help...

Mezner

Limp Gawd
Hey there guys, so I've come across a problem with my build. I will try to explain this as thoroughly as I can.

So here is my problem.

Last night, I was running memtest86+ just to see if everything was stable. Everything was looking good but I fell asleep when it was about 60% done.

When I awoke, my computer was shut off. I tried turning it back on, but the computer is receiving no power, and it will not turn on.

BUT PLEASE NOTE: My peripherals (USB Microphone, mouse, and keyboard) are still receiving power (their LEDS are on) while they are plugged into the motherboard, but my computer will not power up whatsoever (no fans, lights, hard drive, noises).

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
- I have cleared the CMOS (removing the battery) multiple times, but the computer has not turned on still.
- I have replaced the motherboard with a backup, still isn't turning on.
- I have tried reconnecting ALL Power supply connectors and front panel connectors, still isn't turning on.
- I have tried unplugging all USB devices and leaving only the monitor plugged in. Still no power.
- I have done the paperclip test on my power supply, and it turns on/stays on.

I really don't know what to do guys... I think it's my power supply that died since both motherboards were installed and the computer still hasn't turned on...

Before this I was having problems with the computer rebooting itself at random times, mostly after closing a game.

Specs:
i5 3570k - stock
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4TH AND MSI H61M-P31
Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1333
EVGA GTX 670
Corsair TX650 650w PSU
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Hard Drive
Noctua NH-D14 cooler

Just curious. How long have you had that psu for? Just jumping it will tell you that it's not totally dead, but that doesn't mean that it still functioning to its full capacity.

Have you tried to boot with no video card in, 1 stick of ram, etc...bare bones?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to go pick up a Corsair CX 600 at my local bestbuys that way I can return it if it doesn't work.

If anyone else has an idea of what my problem it could be, please pitch your idea(s).

Try one ram stick at a time.
It failed while you were testing ram, its not unreasonable to suspect memory failure.

Ah missed you tried that.
Most likely is PSU then.

Try one ram stick at a time.
It failed while you were testing ram, its not unreasonable to suspect memory failure.

Ah missed you tried that.
Most likely is PSU then.

I actually haven't tried 1 stick at a time, silly me. But I doubt a bad ram stick would prevent the computer from receiving power? Wouldn't it at least turn on but not boot?

So here's a new thing i've found:

If I try to start the system, you can tell that the power supply is trying to start as you can hear a very faint click and the light on my desk flickers very briefly, but no power goes through. So i'm guessing the voltages in my power supply are bad SINCE:

When I do the paperclip test with my hard drive and case fans plugged in, everything powers up fine, but as soon as I plug the 24pin connector into either motherboard, nothing happens.

Last edited:
I actually haven't tried 1 stick at a time, silly me. But I doubt a bad ram stick would prevent the computer from receiving power? Wouldn't it at least turn on but not boot?

It wouldnt stop the computer from receiving power, but it can stop the PSU from powering up.
Anything that causes the motherboard to detect a bad problem can make it refuse to turn the PSU on.

Take all the memory out, if that was the major issue, it will now turn on but not work.

It wouldnt stop the computer from receiving power, but it can stop the PSU from powering up.
Anything that causes the motherboard to detect a bad problem can make it refuse to turn the PSU on.

Take all the memory out, if that was the major issue, it will now turn on but not work.

Just tried that, nothing :/

I'm thinking the Power Supply is the only thing left for me to swap out and try.

EDIT: I've also tried shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard to see if it is a faulty power switch, no luck.

Its possible that another component is making the motherboard think there is a major fault, or the motherboard is faulty.
It would be best if you borrowed another PSU that is powerful enough for your system, before buying one.
It is a strong suspect, but it cannot be guaranteed that it is the problem without further testing.

I don't believe the motherboard is faulty, as I have tested two different ones, and the system still isn't receiving any power.

But I haven't tried disconnecting the hard drive yet to see if it is preventing the motherboard from receiving power, so i'll test that.

But, if that doesn't change anything, the power supply is the only thing left in question..

Yeah the PSU can trip due to a short or near short on any component.
But also when a PSU is worn, the PSUs maximum output drops and this can make the PSU think the normal load is too high, causing a shutdown.

You said earlier that you already tried barebones and that you had tried one memory stick.
It appears you didnt try either.
How much more of what you have said isnt true?

Everything up to the hard drive being removed/unplugged while everything else is has been tested.

And I did test 1 memory stick at a time, and no memory at all. Still nothing.

By barebones testing, I mean't I pulled everything out of the case, put the motherboard on a cardboard box, plugged the hard drive, both memory sticks, cpu, ,cpu fan, and the power supply together, then shorted the power switch pins and still had no power up outside of the case. But, I had forgotten to test 1 memory stick at a time whilst bareboning it.

Last edited:
Ok :)
Barebones means almost nothing (least components possible), its the most basic test to see if it can function.
It means only the motherboard, single stick of ram, CPU and gfx card if needed, nothing else connected to anything, nothing else plugged into the PSU.

Yeah, i've never done a barebone run before, so I was a tad bit confused, but just tried it without the hard drive aswell, still nothing.

So I guess it is the PSU since pretty much everything except for the CPU has been ruled out...

Its possible that both motherboards have developed a fault.
My first 2 P67 motherboards suffered bent pins in the CPU socket, they are chronically fragile.
Its bad enough fitting a CPU once, removing it and fitting another can also cause pins to bend.
Bent pins can cause many types of failure.

Get a magnifying glass (if needed) and see if any of the pins are no longer straight.

Just wanted to update this thread, it was the power supply. I guess it's age finally got to it. Dropped in a brand new Corsair CX600M and it works like new. Thanks for all the help guys :).

Back