Need to know the difference.

brysig228

Gawd
what's the difference between the OEM version and the Retail version of Vista Ultimate 64? besides the price..:D thanks

Technically, OEM means it is tied to one computer. So, if, in a year, you scrap your current PC, you should buy a new copoy of Vista for it. Retail, would let you move the license to a new computer as often as you'd like. Some people will tell you that they've been able to upgrade their PC components a few times and still call in the OEM activation. Others will say they couldn't, and still others will come in screaming that it violates the EULA. Whether you want to follow the EULA to the exact letter, and/or take your chances with OEM, that's up to you.

As for official support, retail means you can go to Microsoft for any issues. OEM licenses have their support handled by the OEM, like Dell, HP, etc. Honestly though, who calls Microsoft and pays for support? This difference is really a non-issue, especially for the reads of this board.

I think the important thing to understand about OEM vs Retail is that OEM is tied to your motherboard. If you swap it out, it breaks, or whatever -- it's not guaranteed that you will be able to use the same copy of windows on a new board.

As posted above -- some people get Microsoft to reactive the software, some don't, and some won't even try because it's a violation of the Eula. Regardless, you just need to be aware that there is a chance that, even though some people have done it, you might not be able to reactivate if you move to another computer.

However, depending on where you get your license, it might be worth buying an OEM copy knowing that you might have to buy another when you upgrade down the road.

Retail Version - You can install on any one computer at a time, and move your copy/license from computer to computer as desired as long as it is only used on one computer at a time. Good for people that replace machines or do major upgrades on a frequent basis.

OEM Version - Glued forever to the first computer it is installed on. Not legally transferable to a new computer. Major upgrages may cause issues. There is most definitely some grey area in the area of upgrades (i.e. what constitutes a NEW machine instead of an upgrade). Some say the Motherboard is the deciding factor. Microsoft WON'T say what it uses as the deciding factor.

I'm definetly a Retail guy for my main desktop. It gets major upgrades or replaced about 2 times a year.

For my WHS machine, I went OEM. I have no intention of ever upgrading that machine. If the System Board goes down, I'll fight it out with MS. Most have had no issues getting re-activation for replacement system board where one failed (as far as I have read). Also, certain items 'reset' in the activation system after 6 months and allows greater hardware replacements before it makes activation mad.

For example, I had W2KS3 running on an old A7V133 Thunderbird machine for years. It died, and I replaced all the guts with a spare ABIT IT7-Max2 board, ram, lan, etc... I had lying around.

It activated with NO complaints whatsoever.

I forgot the support part. Good catch...

Technically, OEM means it is tied to one computer. So, if, in a year, you scrap your current PC, you should buy a new copoy of Vista for it. Retail, would let you move the license to a new computer as often as you'd like. Some people will tell you that they've been able to upgrade their PC components a few times and still call in the OEM activation. Others will say they couldn't, and still others will come in screaming that it violates the EULA. Whether you want to follow the EULA to the exact letter, and/or take your chances with OEM, that's up to you.

As for official support, retail means you can go to Microsoft for any issues. OEM licenses have their support handled by the OEM, like Dell, HP, etc. Honestly though, who calls Microsoft and pays for support? This difference is really a non-issue, especially for the reads of this board.

Back