Need help in deciding the right MacBook for my Old Man

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I am looking for a MacBook for my Old man, which will make his work easier. He is using a 13 inch Lenovo Laptop which has poor resolution, applications are slow, hands most of time. If that's not enough, it has annoying bloatware, that makes things worse.

Unlike me, my old man is not a techie, all he does is emails, word documents for his work, browse website, YT and sometimes Netflix. When I say he is not a techie, when he receives some word document in email he opens it directly in the browser, edits and saves, for him, downloading a document into local system and editing is cumbersome. He doesn't like switching through the windows.

So I was considering 2 options.
1. M2 MacBook Air 15: This MacBook has a higher resolution, so I though that when he opens multiple windows without maximizing them, and switch using stage manager, it will be the easiest thing for him. But for someone who is in his early 80s is 15 inch MacBook Air too heavy?

2. M2 MacBook Air 13: Its lighter than 15 inch MacBook Air but it has small screen and low resolution, so when it comes to easy of use like switching multiple windows through stage manager and other operations like reading, filling forms in the browser and other day to day documents and browser tasks will it be difficult because of small screen?

Last edited:
I'd say the 15". At 3.3 lb. it's only 0.6 heavier than the 13" and far lighter than most 15" laptops. The 15" screen will be far easier on older eyes.

Does he need a laptop? Maybe a Mini with a good ~24" monitor would also work?

Does he need a laptop? Maybe a Mini with a good ~24" monitor would also work?

Yes, but his office doesn't have enough space for that type of setup. He goes to his client's site often do he cannot care that 24 inch display all the time

Last edited:
Surely the 15" will be better just for the potential to make the fonts substantially bigger?

The 15 Air isn't a big laptop. On the Macbook Pro, I personally prefer the 14" due to size/weight reasons.
But in the case of the MBA, it's built to be incredibly light. The extra real estate will be more useful here.
If you have any doubts go to an Apple store or a Best Buy and pick it up.

Last edited:
Why not an iMac or Mac mini with monitor? Does it need to be portable?
Yes portability. He travels a lot. He is in his 80s. So I am looking for a perfect balance between portability, weight and usability. Also his office room is small so there will be no room for a 24 inch iMac

Back