Need help in deciding the right iPad for me

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I was considering an 11 inch M2 iPad Pro having 256GB storage and Cellular network. But looking into the budget I realize that I have to wait bit more to gather money to buy it. I want to use iPad for....

1. Watching Media like YT, Netflix and so on where my M1 MacBook can be too difficult to hold
2. Use pencil for drawing graphs which can simultaneously sync with my MacBook Pro.
3. Gaming mostly 3D third person shooter and racing games

But my purpose of having an iPad is not to replace my MacBook

Is there a cheaper alternative? Latest generation iPad Air with 256GB Cellular seems to prize reasonable. But lack of Quad Speakers, the fact that it doesn't supports third generation pencil and I don't know how good it is for latest 3D gaming. I have fingers crossed.

What's your suggestion?

I've been to the Apple store looking at the options just last weekend. I would say it is worth the money to get the Pro. If you have it of course.

I bought an M2 12.9" iPad Pro in August. My brother bought an M1 11" iPad Pro last summer.

Comments: I think it comes down to how much money you have, what you want to do, and sizes you need.

I wanted another device to help with workflow like photo/video editing (ironically hasn't happened much yet, and if you want I can talk about why in another post). I wanted the 120Hz display. And regarding the 12.9", I specifically wanted reference mode: which is how to see everything as intended both for films/tv and also for photo/video editing and grading (Reference Mode is only available on the 5th and 6th gen 12.9" iPad Pro). That was the feature set that made me specifically get the 12.9" iPad Pro. I also personally like the size as it's exactly the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper (with rounded corners) and should match up nicely (size and image quality wise) with a 14" Macbook Pro while on the go using Sidecar.

Now, if you don't need that level of display, then I also have multiple friends with the M1 Air. The Air basically has all the Pro features except: the 120Hz ProMotion Display, no Reference Mode, lower quality speakers. It does have a laminated display so image quality should be roughly equivalent, however it doesn't have the Mini-LED backlight array so it is not capable of doing 1600 HDR like iPad Pro. The M1 Air is also rumored to be getting an update soon. So that may be another reason to not get it.

My recommendation for a cheaper alternative: buy an M1 iPad Pro instead. Either the 11" or 12.9", whichever suits your needs. You can often find them at a "$300 discount" used on places like Craigslist or FB marketplace. Yes it does require the hassle of learning the market (knowing what is a good price and a stupid one), going to test it, making sure things aren't iCloud locked, dealing with annoying sellers, etc. But if you can put up with that, I've seen iPad Pro 11" M1's go for $500. And that is by a long sight better than any deal on a current gen iPad Air. If you're not doing a lot of pro work, you won't notice a difference between M1 and M2. I think the big advantage of M2 is specifically that it has better media encoder and decoder engines. If you plan on editing video it will matter, if you don't, probably not. And even if you do, the M1 isn't a slouch especially in comparison to literally every other iPad.

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-pro-11-3rd-gen-2021
https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-pro-129-5th-gen-2021

EDIT: Just to comment on some of your use cases, I watch a lot of streaming services and YouTube on this thing, and the display is stupidly good. You'll find multiple reviewers stating this: unless you've purchased a $1000+ OLED TV (like an LG C2/C3) then the iPad Pro 12.9" will likely be the best display in your house. Apple TV presents in Dolby Vision, combined with Reference Mode the image is "super crisp", accurate, and does all the source material justice. There is some blooming due to the backlight type, but it I think it's fairly minimal and controlled. Of course when the rumored M3 drops with also a rumored new OLED display, that will surpass this. But at present you'll be hard to find a better display anywhere regardless of display type.

Gaming wise I've only done a little bit. But I'll say that it pairs nicely with my Nintendo Switch Pro controller (I don't own a Switch, I just use this controller for gaming on my computers). And I fooled around a bit on some older titles. Tested the latest CoD etc. Works flawlessly and could replace some people's game rigs if they're casual. I haven't gotten super deep into using a dev account to play emulators. But certainly if a Switch Emulator for iOS ever drops, I'll want to test that immediately. ETA Prime demonstrates that the M2 iPad Pro can emulate basically every console that has an engine for it, perfect 1:1. Including PS3 titles, arcade machines, etc. Even allowing stupidly high graphic settings like 3x or 4x scaling, AA, etc, and still be locked to the games' native FPS.

Apple pencil was a day 1 buy for me. I use it constantly. And I would say it's a "necessary" accessory. There are rumors of a third gen pencil coming, but it's hard to wait if you want to use these things today. I can say that this 2nd Gen Pencil is phenomenal. The other accessory I'm using is the Logitech Combo Touch, which also for my use cases has been fantastic. Keyboard when I need it, stand and protective case when I don't. It basically turns the iPad Pro into a Surface. And personally I like that. Only downside of this accessory is there seems to be a lot of manufacturing issues with it. I went through 3 before finding one that was "acceptable" in terms of defects. And even it is not perfect. Which is frustrating for a $200 device. It's a discount compared to Apple's Magic Keyboard/Touchpad, but you'd still hope that it wouldn't have those sorts of problems from a manufacturer as big as Logitech.

I also do a lot of reading and browsing on in, and for that it's better than any other device I have ever owned period. I much prefer to browse, read, etc on the iPad vs any desktop or laptop.

Last edited:
I bought an M2 12.9" iPad Pro in August. My brother bought an M1 11" iPad Pro last summer.

Comments: I think it comes down to how much money you have, what you want to do, and sizes you need.

I wanted another device to help with workflow like photo/video editing (ironically hasn't happened much yet, and if you want I can talk about why in another post). I wanted the 120Hz display. And regarding the 12.9", I specifically wanted reference mode: which is how to see everything as intended both for films/tv and also for photo/video editing and grading (Reference Mode is only available on the 5th and 6th gen 12.9" iPad Pro). That was the feature set that made me specifically get the 12.9" iPad Pro. I also personally like the size as it's exactly the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper (with rounded corners) and should match up nicely (size and image quality wise) with a 14" Macbook Pro while on the go using Sidecar.

Now, if you don't need that level of display, then I also have multiple friends with the M1 Air. The Air basically has all the Pro features except: the 120Hz ProMotion Display, no Reference Mode, lower quality speakers. It does have a laminated display so image quality should be roughly equivalent, however it doesn't have the Mini-LED backlight array so it is not capable of doing 1600 HDR like iPad Pro. The M1 Air is also rumored to be getting an update soon. So that may be another reason to not get it.

My recommendation for a cheaper alternative: buy an M1 iPad Pro instead. Either the 11" or 12.9", whichever suits your needs. You can often find them at a "$300 discount" used on places like Craigslist or FB marketplace. Yes it does require the hassle of learning the market (knowing what is a good price and a stupid one), going to test it, making sure things aren't iCloud locked, dealing with annoying sellers, etc. But if you can put up with that, I've seen iPad Pro 11" M1's go for $500. And that is by a long sight better than any deal on a current gen iPad Air. If you're not doing a lot of pro work, you won't notice a difference between M1 and M2. I think the big advantage of M2 is specifically that it has better media encoder and decoder engines. If you plan on editing video it will matter, if you don't, probably not. And even if you do, the M1 isn't a slouch especially in comparison to literally every other iPad.

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-pro-11-3rd-gen-2021
https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-pro-129-5th-gen-2021

EDIT: Just to comment on some of your use cases, I watch a lot of streaming services and YouTube on this thing, and the display is stupidly good. You'll find multiple reviewers stating this: unless you've purchased a $1000+ OLED TV (like an LG C2/C3) then the iPad Pro 12.9" will likely be the best display in your house. Apple TV presents in Dolby Vision, combined with Reference Mode the image is "super crisp", accurate, and does all the source material justice. There is some blooming due to the backlight type, but it I think it's fairly minimal and controlled. Of course when the rumored M3 drops with also a rumored new OLED display, that will surpass this. But at present you'll be hard to find a better display anywhere regardless of display type.

Gaming wise I've only done a little bit. But I'll say that it pairs nicely with my Nintendo Switch Pro controller (I don't own a Switch, I just use this controller for gaming on my computers). And I fooled around a bit on some older titles. Tested the latest CoD etc. Works flawlessly and could replace some people's game rigs if they're casual. I haven't gotten super deep into using a dev account to play emulators. But certainly if a Switch Emulator for iOS ever drops, I'll want to test that immediately. ETA Prime demonstrates that the M2 iPad Pro can emulate basically every console that has an engine for it, perfect 1:1. Including PS3 titles, arcade machines, etc. Even allowing stupidly high graphic settings like 3x or 4x scaling, AA, etc, and still be locked to the games' native FPS.

Apple pencil was a day 1 buy for me. I use it constantly. And I would say it's a "necessary" accessory. There are rumors of a third gen pencil coming, but it's hard to wait if you want to use these things today. I can say that this 2nd Gen Pencil is phenomenal. The other accessory I'm using is the Logitech Combo Touch, which also for my use cases has been fantastic. Keyboard when I need it, stand and protective case when I don't. It basically turns the iPad Pro into a Surface. And personally I like that. Only downside of this accessory is there seems to be a lot of manufacturing issues with it. I went through 3 before finding one that was "acceptable" in terms of defects. And even it is not perfect. Which is frustrating for a $200 device. It's a discount compared to Apple's Magic Keyboard/Touchpad, but you'd still hope that it wouldn't have those sorts of problems from a manufacturer as big as Logitech.

I also do a lot of reading and browsing on in, and for that it's better than any other device I have ever owned period. I much prefer to browse, read, etc on the iPad vs any desktop or laptop.

Thanks Souljer, I will go for 11 inch M1 iPad Pro 256GB With Wi-Fi and Cellular as it costs 200$ less than M2. For video editing, my M1 MacBook Pro 16 is good. Playing latest generation iOS games like Resident Evil 4, Assassin Creed Mirage is what I will play in my iPad

Last edited:
Reactions: uOpt
like this
Just ended up ordering my first iPad ever. It's a 9th gen from Amazon. We're mainly using it for educational apps for the kids but I have a feeling the missus and I will be using it for shopping and auto repair videos. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

My daughter just received an iPad Air / 5th generation (new) as a gift from a friend that wants her to do the graphic art for a book she is writing...

I am quite impressed with it.. also impressed she got it for free and that someone saw her talent enough to set her up. Something she can add to her resume.

She is transferring schools next year to start the graphic design program as a junior.

Contemplating upgrading her macbook air to an M* 16gb/512 to compliment her needs... or maybe go pro.. but definately M* 16gb/512 as minimum specs..

As a pure "art making" device, iPad is arguably better. But I assume she's also going to have to do other school work that may not be "Apple Pencil" related (though I have to say, that my iPad Pro with Logitech Combo Touch has turned the iPad into an Office crushing device. I can honestly say I don't need a second device if all I was doing is Office/browsing/streaming).

If she's not getting into heavy video/rendering work, I'd probably recommend buying the 15" Macbook Air. Which I think is a really great compliment for College students.
Definitely the minimum is 16/512. If you can stretch for 24/512, then I think the machine will have more legs. I see more and more workloads needing more than 16. It's not quite to the point of needing 32, but it's rare on most machines to have an option in the middle. M2 has an option in the middle. I will say it does feel bad to "have to" get M2, instead of M3. That's probably the most legitimate reason to go for the 14" M3 Macbook Pro instead.

It's tradeoffs. I think the size/shape of the Air is better for people having to live on a machine and move it a lot. The benefit of the Macbook Pro body is getting the much better display, and the move to M3. If the M3 Air existed today, I'd probably just say get that and don't even think about it.

To make it even harder, there are 15" M2 MBA refurbs. Which honestly again, maybe the way to go here. Just save the money, get the thinner/lighter computer and don't worry about M3/display.
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/15-inch-macbook-air

My daughter just received an iPad Air / 5th generation (new) as a gift from a friend that wants her to do the graphic art for a book she is writing...

I am quite impressed with it.. also impressed she got it for free and that someone saw her talent enough to set her up. Something she can add to her resume.

She is transferring schools next year to start the graphic design program as a junior.

Contemplating upgrading her macbook air to an M* 16gb/512 to compliment her needs... or maybe go pro.. but definately M* 16gb/512 as minimum specs..
Here's the Combo Touch for your daughters iPad gen.

https://a.co/d/9IAFZ1b

My only criticisms of the Combo Touch are that the quality control on them seems to suck, and I had to get more than one to get one that was functionally and physically 'good'. You don't get access to another USB-C port like you would if you bought the official Apple Magic Keyboard. But considering the cost delta, that seems more than forgivable. And finally, in that advertisement on Amazon, it doesn't seem to note that the keyboard is removable (people demonstrate it in reviews at the bottom). Which is a big gaff. Part of the reason why the Combo Touch is so good is that you can reverse the keyboard while you're not using it to keep it with you, or simply remove it entirely if you just want to watch things on it, or exclusively use Apple Pencil - while still having a case on the device. So Logitech did a bad job there demonstrating their own product by folding it underneath the stand.

Now, I'll say there are times where I "must" have access to a full blown OS. I have to say though, for Office/browsing/streaming, honestly those times are hyper specific.
I'm taking a cert through Coursera, and honestly if their platform (which ironically has an iPad App that for some reason won't let you complete everything in app), worked properly, then I wouldn't need a laptop.

There are other quirks too. One of my biggest issue with typing on pad has to do with the arrow keys not working like they do in macOS/Windows, and that means navigating via keyboard to do text edits takes longer than it should. Stuff like this should've been smoothed out long ago, and hopefully still will.
App cost is also generally higher on iPad, though Office 360 costs the same regardless, so it is app dependent. The Google Apps are trash on iPad unfortunately and offer about 1/10th the functionality of their browser counterparts making them useless to me. You may as well either use them in Safari/Firefox or use the Apple/Microsoft counterparts instead. Most people are "used to" using Sheets in a browser Window anyway, so it's not a big deal.
On the other hand, some things being "app-i-fied" are just a better experience on iPad. I love all the streaming apps, YouTube's app is beautiful. As is Netflix/Hulu. I can legitimately say some apps are better on iPad than any other platform. And I actually would say I prefer browsing on an iPad device to desktop. Scrolling/clicking around is just nicer. And it may also go without saying, but reading is much nicer on iPad than a desktop. Mostly because you can treat it "like a book" and it's aided by being tactile. iPad Pro also has insanely high DPI. Meaning that my face has to be inches from the display to see pixelation (like <4". And even at that point it's "just barely"). Legibility and smoothness just looks incredible on the device.

It's almost justifiable to have an iPad Pro that costs as much as a laptop for this reason. I'm hoping with a few more iOS versions, any border there will cease to exist. iPad's are finally a legitimate alternative to cheap Surface's or Chromebooks for similar tasks. Even with the quirks and other minor issues, there are certain tasks that I prefer on iPad vs a desktop OS.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back