Need advice finding a used card for 2d.

narsbars

2[H]4U
Hundred dollar budget. Looking for advice for a used card to run current 1440 monitor my wife is using, no gaming, brand X and an upcoming 2K monitor that is coming, I need rock solid, no flicker, and no noise. Her ears are so good she hears bats hunting mosquitos. I already have a Bequiet case. Would an old 1070TI work? I can't think of anything in my price range.

ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Graphics Card (GT1030-2G-CSM) https://a.co/d/dsNTKby

That's about the only fanless option. Next best would be to remove, unplug, or disable/set lowest speed the fans on a higher end gpu with a good cooler and reduce the power limit -- long as your case has good airflow, it should be fine.

Depending on what "2D" means, and whether it can be accelerated with a gpu, you might be fine with the 1030 anyway. Often, you're better off with a better CPU.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Graphics Card (GT1030-2G-CSM) https://a.co/d/dsNTKby

That's about the only fanless option. Next best would be to remove, unplug, or disable/set lowest speed the fans on a higher end gpu with a good cooler and reduce the power limit -- long as your case has good airflow, it should be fine.

Depending on what "2D" means, and whether it can be accelerated with a gpu, you might be fine with the 1030 anyway. Often, you're better off with a better CPU.
It is still running an old AMD 3600 XTI, maybe I will look for a used upgrade, it is a 570. 2D meaning no gaming, just some online light weight gaming, very light weight, and office apps. LOL, maybe I should give her my 5900 and look for a 5800X3D. I like the idea of a better card with a downvolt. The case does a good job and I added quiet fans.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It is still running an old AMD 3600 XTI, maybe I will look for a used upgrade, it is a 570. 2D meaning no gaming, just some online light weight gaming, very light weight, and office apps. LOL, maybe I should give her my 5900 and look for a 5800X3D. I like the idea of a better card with a downvolt. The case does a good job and I added quiet fans.
I would not recommend giving her your 5900X since it is way, way overkill for those apps that she runs on her PC. Unfortunately, you gave her a platform that requires a discrete GPU just to even work at all. However, the AM4 platform that currently holds that system's current Ryzen 5 3600XT will usually support an APU. Instead of wasting your money on a discrete GPU which may bottleneck the performance of any decent newer-gen CPU, I'd just recommend replacing the 3600XT with a new Ryzen 5 5600G and forego the discrete GPU, in this particular case.

And that RX 570 has to go since it contributes to a rather noisy PC. Unfortunately, any decent-performing used discrete GPU will be almost as loud as that RX 570. And a quieter lower-performing GPU will only cause a bigger bottleneck on the CPU, resulting in a woefully imbalanced performance which will be felt even in non-intensive apps.

Last edited:
get a 5600G processor
or an Intel Arc A380
this one is an open box for $90, new is $110
1710651626167.png

1710651659051.png

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-14-930-076r

Pick up a used Quadro P400 or something similar on eBay. I have bought a few here on the forum for cheap. I think I paid less than $20 for one shipped.

I use them all the time for office systems.

A quick look ok eBay has many under $40. 2gb of ram is plenty for 1440p non gaming. Can drive up to 4 displays also if needed in the future.

I'd just grab a fanless GT 1030 off of eBay for cheap.

Back