Need 16x-8x configuration at same time. Are there any consumer boards?

Over on LinkedIn, there is a market forecast that predicts

PCIe Switches Market Size is Growing at a CAGR of 11.9% with Worth ~ US$ 1764.6 million by 2032 [Exclusive 98+ Pages Report] https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pcie-switches-market-size-growing-cagr-119-vysfcv

If you believe this forecast, then there is no way that Broadcom can defend its market share. Customers simply won't stand for it, and they will go out of their way to second-source or multi-source these parts. Look at the list of competitors.

But, but, but, the report only covers up to Gen3 :eek: . Hard to believe.

A lot of boards just come down to how certain I/O decisions are made. Do I think i'm really going to make use of USB4? So far, I haven't. Though being able to run a display off the iGPU directly from one of the Type C ports is pretty nice.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the iGPU running over the Intel thunderbolt controller that they call USB4. I run my 7900XTX through the thunderbolt controller to my thunderbolt monitor using the displayport input on the motherboard, one cord and my keyboard and mouse plug into the monitor. Works great for KVM functionality with another computer hooked up to the displayport input on the monitor.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the iGPU running over the Intel thunderbolt controller that they call USB4. I run my 7900XTX through the thunderbolt controller to my thunderbolt monitor using the displayport input on the motherboard, one cord and my keyboard and mouse plug into the monitor. Works great for KVM functionality with another computer hooked up to the displayport input on the monitor.
No, but it depends on how you're accomplishing that. The X670E Taichi doesn't have DP input to passthrough video over USB4/TB so you'd have to rely on just telling Windows to use the XTX for rendering but outputting video via the iGPU.

Some boards do have DP inputs to purely passthrough the dGPU via that output. Asus's Creator boards come to mind.

1712921428857.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobu
like this
Looks like nobody's run any 3dmark benches with a 7945wx yet. There's some 5945wx results, they get a little over half of a 7900's CPU score in timespy, with the same GPU and clocked a good bit lower. A 7945wx might get +75% CPU score? Not sure of the exaxt generational improvement, I know it's a good bit, plus the clock improvement.

Here's a couple I picked to compare, tried to match and avoid huge overclocks.

No, but it depends on how you're accomplishing that. The X670E Taichi doesn't have DP input to passthrough video over USB4/TB so you'd have to rely on just telling Windows to use the XTX for rendering but outputting video via the iGPU.

Some boards do have DP inputs to purely passthrough the dGPU via that output. Asus's Creator boards come to mind.

View attachment 647210

Correct, that's exactly why I bought the X670-E Creator. But it doesn't just pass the dGPU, it also gives you a full bandwidth thunderbolt connection to any thunderbolt devices you want to connect. One active thunderbolt cable connected and you have access to all the peripherals you want.

After reading this thread, I'm afraid that any hope for future HEDT boards is just pissing into the wind. Don't mean to be a downer, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:

What motherboard do you use? Mine has a DisplayPort in but I haven’t messed with using it. I’m guessing the ProArt X670e?

Zarathustra[H] I did find an Atto product that claimed to use TB4 to some type of 40Gb fiber but it’s discontinued and seemed to be pretty expensive second hand still. And I didn’t find any solid confirmation that it actually runs at the full 40Gb. Lots of 25Gb options through TB3/4 though i think that would be slower than just running your card on a limited x4 slot.

What motherboard do you use? Mine has a DisplayPort in but I haven’t messed with using it. I’m guessing the ProArt X670e?

That's the one, I always bought HEDT boards in the past and that was about as close as I could get this time around.

Kind of why I jumped to AMD was to carry on with Crossfire thinking they may keep it going building GPU's also, B350 couldn't compete with x58 with the same cards and driver because of the x8 by x8 setup, times have changed with cards like the RX6600 being an x8 card if AMD made a working driver I would love to see them scale in an x8 by x8 setup.

That's the one, I always bought HEDT boards in the past and that was about as close as I could get this time around.
So after reading a bit about the ASUS Creator X670e, I wish I had gotten this board instead of the ROG Strix E-A x670e.

Back