NAS Solutions

QHalo

2[H]4U
I'm charged with looking for some NAS solutions to back up our field offices since backing up over the wire is just not feasible and not practical. What we need is something small that has remote access capabilties such as remote terminal of the device, wireless and backup software for automated backups.

I've checked out the Iomega NAS solutions that they have, does anyone else have any experience with NAS devices and what would you recommend. The Iomega solution is really nice in that you can schedule and pick what you want to back up at night. It has a nice web remote interface for troublshooting and the drives are RAID. Thanks for any help you can provide.

A friend of mine is using the IOMEGA ones, and he says to stay away from them.

I trust HP server products, so you could try thier 1200s series, they should be good.

==>Lazn

3K x 200 offices is a bit steap. But thanks for the input on the Iomega's. I'm getting us a demo to look at.

The Snap branded NAS solutions are cheaper, but they don't run Windows Server 2003 Storage Edition.

==>Lazn

They dont necessarily have to run Windows 2003 Storage Server do they? Can they just have a web interface for remote troubleshooting? I've not really looked at Storage Server 2003 so I have no idea what it does or how it works.

I agree with HP. Windows-based NAS solutions are a whole lot better than trying to backup with NDMP.

QHalo said:
They dont necessarily have to run Windows 2003 Storage Server do they? Can they just have a web interface for remote troubleshooting? I've not really looked at Storage Server 2003 so I have no idea what it does or how it works.

Have to? No, there are Ximeta Netdisks that technically work for as little as $140. But what are you trying to accomplish? how robust do you want it to be? How manageable? Reliable? Is budget your main consern?

The Snap servers start in the $550 range, and are much better than the Ximeta's but not really up to a Storage Server 2003 solution.

The Iomega NAS start at around $1000 and do run Storage Server 2003, but they are based on a Via P4 motherboard and are flaky.. I would recommend a better brand.

==>Lazn

Essentially I have 200 remote offices that have anywhere from 3-10 people working in them. They currently are concerned about their data seeing as that they have no backup should a machine die on them. While I would like it to be as cost effecitve as possible, I want reliability, and manageablility to take precedence. I will have to be responsible for these items so if I have to spend that kind of money, then so be it.

Seeing as that there is such a small amount of people involved at each site, I really don't need them to be that robust. Does that help or no?

xp3nd4bl3 said:
I agree with HP. Windows-based NAS solutions are a whole lot better than trying to backup with NDMP.

Our NAS solutions kick ass. All of our external customers who buy them seem to absolutely love them. The words "No hassles, no worries" are the common comments.

another possibilbty is a instagate from esoft http://www.esoft.com.. They are linux based.

I don't really know what to recommend, the HP solution would be the easiest / most robust. The Snap solution would be the cheapest I would consider (not the ximeta). The Esoft one would be the one to get if you want each location to be it's own network. (they can also do VPN endpoint and be a "domain controller" as well as store your user data)

==>lazn

Back