My Wii U review/first impressions [Deluxe Model/SMBU/Trine2/ZombiU]

The Wii u just like the current black Wii's cannot play GameCube games you need a GameCube or a white original Wii to do so

OMG....I never even knew my Wii could play gamecube games...

need to get a controller so I can play pikmin finally...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the real test is what you are all saying 6 months from now.

I can control my TV.
Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 should be out under 6 months.

I wont say anything different, because I know it will only get better. Wii's ONLY issue, never reared its head until I sold my CRT monitor and started playing it on a HDTV. The blurriness drove me mad. Thats what kept me from playing as much as before, because it was awesome and clear on the CRT. That said I have 20+ games for Wii. Wii has a ton of great games. Everyone just wants to focus on the shovelware and ignore the good stuff, and there is a lot of good stuff.

LCD's really suck at upscaling.

I'm hoping that in 6 months I'll have Smash Brothers and/or Mario Kart on the horizon.
If nothing else, in this age of multi-platform games I no longer have to avoid Nintendo's version because it will look like ass. The WiiU version of multi-platform games should look the same if not better than the PS3 and 360 versions. If we're lucky it might have some tablet features. If not, I do like the layout of the pro controller with the higher thumbstick on the right.
The real test, IMO, won't come until we see the Xbox 3 or PS4 on the shelf.

The real test, IMO, won't come until we see the Xbox 3 or PS4 on the shelf.

yeah and how will titles coming to all platforms work? will they develop for lowest common denominator? (which just by time would be the Wii U) what will be difference between a game made for Wii U and Xbox 3? graphics? gameplay?

Don't hate me, but I could never get into the smash series. The game is fine, its the controls, I just cant get around.

I was raised on Street Fighter 2.
Something about pressing A+any direction executing your special moves. I cant do it. I gotta have that fireball, that dragon punch motion, and strickly Dpad. I cannot play fighters on the analog, unless its a proper arcade stick.

DOWN> DOWN+RIGHT> RIGHT+Punch
Yeah, thats the ticket... :)

i blow giant dick at street fighter and other fighting games. something about the simplicity of smash brothers + 4 people just was amazing to me. I would rock everybody with peach.

i think another thing that really made it fun was it was always 3-4 of us playing. smash brothers alone is garbage

the real test is what you are all saying 6 months from now.

This.

The original Wii was pretty cool for the first few months too. Next thing you know, 90% of them were sitting on peoples' shelves collecting dust after the novelty factor wore off and there were no good games out.

So far it isn’t mind blowing and I do find the OS to be painfully slow, BUT I do see a lot of potential with the tablet functionality and the whole “MiiVerse” concept. Considering what all MS has been able to do with firmware on the 360, what we see right now could simply be a very, very tiny fraction of what their OS can actually be capable of. The 360 went from 4 slides to a powerful media device pretty quickly.
Plus, I think it finally brings true multiplatform games to a Nintendo system, at least for a year or so when we see some new consoles from MS and Sony.
Like most new systems, I look at it as something that I’m going to have for 6+ years and Nintendo isn’t fond of sales either. Might as well grab it now so I’ll be ready to rock when the good stuff hits.

Oh yeah – not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the Wii displays a little brighter than my other components. Black backgrounds are almost grey’ish. Is there a setting on the system anywhere, or are they assuming we’re just going to have to change the settings on the TV?

Wow man. I watched the whole thing.
That was beautiful, nice production by GT. Its emotional remembering the games I played long ago, along with the ones more recently. I still think Wind Waker is the best one. Still, I had no idea there was 3 timelines, thats crazy. That said...

I never finished TP.
The game was so good, I didn't want it to end. 74 hours on my save, inside Hyrule Castle, literally the last staircase. I think the save lists last play in the year 2008. I think I should just watch a youtube video of the ending....

Nice, my WiiU arrived but the SMBU game didnt arrive in same box, CDON.com had sent them separately. Wierd, they were sent on the same day but the bigass box that I had to pick from the post office came fast but a small game arriving in small padded letter is late.
So now I have a brand new console but no game to try it out until monday... Oh well, maybe the store nearby has some old Wii games on sale for cheap.

Nice, my WiiU arrived but the SMBU game didnt arrive in same box, CDON.com had sent them separately. Wierd, they were sent on the same day but the bigass box that I had to pick from the post office came fast but a small game arriving in small padded letter is late.
So now I have a brand new console but no game to try it out until monday... Oh well, maybe the store nearby has some old Wii games on sale for cheap.

Drive on over to...ANYWHERE, and get yourself ZombieU or check out Trine 2 on the online store. :cool:

My Wii hard locked last night. Not exactly what you want after owning a system for 2 days. I was playing Nintendoland and starting the Donkey Kong mini game. Then everything froze and started playing a loud high pitched noise. The power button on the system wouldn't work and powering down the tablet just seemed to put it into "suspend" mode. I ended up having to pull the plug on the system.

My Wii hard locked last night. Not exactly what you want after owning a system for 2 days. I was playing Nintendoland and starting the Donkey Kong mini game. Then everything froze and started playing a loud high pitched noise. The power button on the system wouldn't work and powering down the tablet just seemed to put it into "suspend" mode. I ended up having to pull the plug on the system.

Firmware. I haven't had any happen yet, but it's definitely the OS.
Updates should fix it. I base this on the fact the same thing was happening with my launch Wii, and after an update it never happened again. We are due for a large update when they add Nintendo TVii, but they might push an OS update before then. Dont forget we got a new Nintendo Direct on Dec 10th, who knows what will be revealed...

It is software related they are going to issue a update soon , believe it or not going into the settings for mii verse and setting it to English only helps. And pulling the plug is the right thing to do per Nintendo just don't do that if it's doing a update. But in game freezing that is what to do. A fix is coming try the mii verse language setting it does work.

Drive on over to...ANYWHERE, and get yourself ZombieU or check out Trine 2 on the online store. :cool:

You are 20 minutes too late. Came back with a box of beer and Mario Galaxy 2 in my pocket. :D I'm not really interested in ZombiU at the moment, and cant do online because I have no wlan in my cable modem (wifi router cable modem is in my to-buy list though) and there doesnt seem to be ethernet capability in WiiU.

You are 20 minutes too late. Came back with a box of beer and Mario Galaxy 2 in my pocket. :D I'm not really interested in ZombiU at the moment, and cant do online because I have no wlan in my cable modem (wifi router cable modem is in my to-buy list though) and there doesnt seem to be ethernet capability in WiiU.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-LAN-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B0014KM2KG/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1354291301&sr=1-2&keywords=wii+lan+adapter

Works fine with Wii u

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet! Thanks for the tip man! Much cheaper option that changing my modem or getting a separate router. :)

NP man every Wii accessory works with Wii u. In fact when playing Wii games you can still use the old pro controllers in old Wii games. The new pro controllers and gamepad are used for Wii u titles. Like having both systems in one.

Last edited:
OMG....I never even knew my Wii could play gamecube games...

need to get a controller so I can play pikmin finally...

If you have a Wii that has the GameCube controller and memory ports under the flip up panel's then you have a backward compatible Wii. You need your GameCube memory cards for saves, and all game cube controllers plug into the top including the wave bird (one of the best controllers ever).

Oh yeah – not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the Wii displays a little brighter than my other components. Black backgrounds are almost grey’ish. Is there a setting on the system anywhere, or are they assuming we’re just going to have to change the settings on the TV?

You mean the screen seems more washed out than IE Xbox or PS3? Its possible that you have mismatching luma range. WiiU is sending 16-235 luma range, a TV standard, but your TV is expecting full RGB 0-255. WiiU doesnt have a setting that adjust that so you have to check where you can set it in your TV. Mismatching it will result either in washed out screen or crushed black and white details, depending which way is wrong.

I had to set mine manually because my Sony TVs autodetect sucked.

*edit* You have Sony too. Press Home > Settings > Display > Video Input Settings > HDMI Dynamic Range and set wherever your WiiU is connected to Limited.

You mean the screen seems more washed out than IE Xbox or PS3? Its possible that you have mismatching luma range. WiiU is sending 16-235 luma range, a TV standard, but your TV is expecting full RGB 0-255. WiiU doesnt have a setting that adjust that so you have to check where you can set it in your TV. Mismatching it will result either in washed out screen or crushed black and white details, depending which way is wrong.

I had to set mine manually because my Sony TVs autodetect sucked.

*edit* You have Sony too. Press Home > Settings > Display > Video Input Settings > HDMI Dynamic Range and set wherever your WiiU is connected to Limited.

On any good TV you should be able to tune each input based on the device hooked to it. Each of my components on my TV are tuned specific to there needs.

I have all of my systems feeding into my receiver, which then routes into the same input on my TV. That way I can switch between cable, Wii, PC, 360, etc. all using my receiver's input buttons.
I'll see if my receiver has some similar options. Things don't really look washed out so much as simply about 2 shades too bright.

I played around with the dynamic range on the TV and that's not the culprit. It just seems like the WiiU is set a hair brighter than my other systems. I was able to "fix" it with the brightness settings on my TV. However, since I have everything set to one input and setting on my TV, that's not exactly ideal.

I played around with the dynamic range on the TV and that's not the culprit. It just seems like the WiiU is set a hair brighter than my other systems. I was able to "fix" it with the brightness settings on my TV. However, since I have everything set to one input and setting on my TV, that's not exactly ideal.

Yeah that can be a issue that's why I use separate HDMI ports. The 360 is darker and needs different settings, and ps3 is a mixed bag since it jumps around based on what game your playing. My TV has an optical out that I send to my receiver. So I don't lose audio quality to my pioneer vsx-1014tx receiver. It doesn't have HDMI they still sell that receiver but with HDMI can't justify buying the same receiver for HDMI. Plus I like to feed my video right into the source.

Grabbed a wired adapter at Best Buy yesterday so I'm ready to roll once the online games start taking off.

Here's a question about the Nintendo Store. Is it like Steam and PSN where you can download the same content as many times as you need? I'm thinking of grabbing Super Mario and Ninja Gaiden 3, but I don't want to start killing off my drive space if you can only get 'em once. How big are most of the current games?

Grabbed a wired adapter at Best Buy yesterday so I'm ready to roll once the online games start taking off.

Here's a question about the Nintendo Store. Is it like Steam and PSN where you can download the same content as many times as you need? I'm thinking of grabbing Super Mario and Ninja Gaiden 3, but I don't want to start killing off my drive space if you can only get 'em once. How big are most of the current games?

It's like Steam

Game size varies...
Nano Assault Neo is 585MB
Trine 2 is 2GB
Tekken Tag 2 is 16.7GB

Wow...that's insane for Tekken Tag! That's more than half the capacity of the Wii U for one game.

yeah again though, nintendo made it very clear they wanted to keep cost of the system low so they opted to allow the consumer to do what they want with storage like an SD card or external hard drive.

yeah again though, nintendo made it very clear they wanted to keep cost of the system low so they opted to allow the consumer to do what they want with storage like an SD card or external hard drive.

Yup. External HD is a way to go with WiiU. Thats the reason why I went for the basic model anyway: Internal memory amount doesnt matter if you have to expand it anyway, didnt care for Nintendo Land that much and there will be cheap 3rd party loading docks as at some point. Though lack of black color option is something I miss...

Not sure I want to further clutter up my entertainment center with yet another item I'll have to plug in somewhere. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a large SD card on sale.

external hard drives are about the size of a cell phone these days with no external power source. i don't see the clutter.

Not sure I want to further clutter up my entertainment center with yet another item I'll have to plug in somewhere. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a large SD card on sale.

I do not think you can save game to SD card - only USB Thumb Drive or external HD with power adapter. I pick up an external 3.5 enclose and add an 1 TB Hard drive. I won't have to worry about space for a while.

Hmmm. After dropping $350 on the system and another $50 for the pro controller I don't much feel like having to get an external drive (especially if it needs yet another power source), too.
Guess I'll stick to the disks for now.
I'll see what the other systems bring to the table. Maybe I can get a massive 3TB HD and create different partitions for each system.

Hmmm. After dropping $350 on the system and another $50 for the pro controller I don't much feel like having to get an external drive (especially if it needs yet another power source), too.
Guess I'll stick to the disks for now.
I'll see what the other systems bring to the table. Maybe I can get a massive 3TB HD and create different partitions for each system.

Its funny but the graphics card alone in your Sig cost more than what your whining about. At least they gave us the OPTION to use what WE want.

Well, I WANT to have the option to save games to my internal HD, which apparently will only hold a couple games, or less if I wanted Tekken. I WANT to save things to a SD disk, but apparently they aren't quick enough. I WANT the option to have wired internet so I don't have people lagging things up, but that's an additional $20. I WANT them to include a pro controller with they system considering the tablet isn't very ideal for 2/3 of the release games That's another $50. That doesn't even count those $50 Wii-Motes and $20 nunchucks or older attachments you have to buy for the legacy titles.
I guess I didn't get much of what I wanted for $350. I'm at more than $400 right now and I only have one game, a controller, and not a whole much HD space to show for it.

It's not about the money, but more of the nickel and diming every little thing. Every time I turn around it seems like I have to go back to the store for something else.

external hard drives are about the size of a cell phone these days with no external power source. i don't see the clutter.

It didn't seem to like external hard drives without there own power, got pissed when I tried one it was connected then after a bit said error that it was disconnected. So I would follow what they say to use to the letter for now. I have tested several large USB flash drives they work perfect for anything, same as they do on my Xbox.

Back