My early 244t Review w/ Pics

Xefier

n00b
Hey all,

First post, but since I had gotten a lot of info here before purchasing my 244t I decided I would give back some too.

I have had the 24” Samsung 244t lcd for about a week and these are very unscientific and preliminary opinions of this beast.

Here she is:

DSC02612.JPG

DSC02614.JPG

Now, my first impression is wonderful! Coming from a Samsung 191T 19” lcd there is no going back :p My 244t was manufactured in July 2006 and had 0 Dead and 0 Stuck pixels, Yay!

I must advise though, that because of unforeseen defective hardware I have not used the monitor on my new Core 2 Duo / P5W DH / 7950GX2 setup yet, I'm awaiting new parts :\

But instead this thing is chugging along on my laptop sporting a 128mb ATI 9700 mobility chip.

DSC02608.JPG

Yeah, nowhere NEAR how good a chip should be to support this thing. I haven’t done much else than browse webpages, watched movies, and loaded some 1080P content from Microsoft’s site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

She looks beautiful when playing these IMAX quality videos, I also watched the Family Guy movie and Emperor’s New Grove (thanks to my GF..) and the brightness and color are very crisp and clean, much better than my 24” Samsung CRT TV and old 19” lcd.

But, on the point of INPUT LAG, this is where I discovered something today. I was at first sadly disappointed when all my research about the obvious input lag this monitor exhibits came true. Using a Logitech 2.4ghz wireless notebook mouse (just bought a week ago, it’s optical) there was a VERY noticeable input lag which really did bother me when working on the desktop, I couldn’t seem to click anything that accurately, it was very discouraging. It felt that it would’ve taken a couple weeks and NO fps games to get used to. This optical notebook mouse doesn't exhibit any noticeable lag when being used with my laptop screen. Oh, and I did try hooking the receiver in both the USB hub on the 244t and directly into the laptop and experienced no noticeable difference.

However, this seems to all have changed today. I’ve had this new Logitech G7 Laser in its box for a while, while I wait for my desktop to come together. Well, I decided to go ahead and try it today.

DSC02611.JPG

Laser vs. Optical (Both have a similarly sized 2.4ghz receiver)

Boy was I amazed, the G7 felt fast just like any other display i've used; it was as accurate and precise as I have always been used to on my old 19” lcd or even on my laptop screen. I am sold.

There are about a hundred variables though, as have been discussed in another thread before. I couldn’t tell any difference (as behardware.com mentions) between 60hz and 75hz, v-sync is disabled, but has no effect on the desktop obviously. The fact that the monitor is running through a low quality graphics card and an analog plug that is going through a laptop probably doesn’t help the situation of input lag, but the fact that since I’ve been using the laser mouse I can’t tell anyway, is good news.

Input lag still exists, sure, but I can no longer tell that it is there after I switched from an optical wireless mouse to a laser wireless mouse. That is really my 2 cents on that. Input lag relating to keyboard use is also unnoticeable and really hard to test anyway, so I’ll leave it at that.

If anyone has any questions I’ll try to clarify, but just thought I would throw this out there knowing that I was at first extremely disappointed in my 244t just for the input lag, but didn’t want to risk the Dell 2407 and its banding issues. I hope to take more pictures and test some more once I actually hook this thing into a real desktop.

Thats all for now :cool:

nice set up, samsung all the way. i went from the 244t in silver to my current lcd right now, but yeah, you can't beat a samsung display. I used the g7 right from the getgo so I never noticed any input lags, and i was using dvi input. question though, i can't find any g7s with that carbon fiber coloring, where did you get it? i got mine a few months ago but its the original color of blue and black.

Can you resize your pics?

I have a 21inch dell trinitron and still had to scroll to see all of the pic.

Hulk said:
Can you resize your pics?

I have a 21inch dell trinitron and still had to scroll to see all of the pic.

You must be running a low resolution. I'm on a 20" at 16 x 12 and they have plenty of room.

Beautiful monitor!!

I'm on a 11" CRT a the resolution is 1152 x 864 and yeah i had to scroll down but it wasn't hard. Very nice monitor! I love the 244t!

Hehe 15.4 1920x1200 plenty of room!

Nice pics. Shame about the input lag...more people shoudl really made more monitors with multimedia inputs :D

but they can't do that they would cut into their samsung lcd hdtv line...oh marketing and politicing....what a shame.

That's a really nice monitor, I like the stand Samsung uses on that model compared to the rounded base most of their monitors have. Can't wait to hear how it games! How's the latency?

Very very nice! Trying to wait for the new 24" benq but have a funny feeling I'll end up with that same monitor.It's same price there 191T was 3.5 yrs ago

It's same price there 191T was 3.5 yrs ago
Yeah, its amazing, I remember picking up my 191T for like $659 on Newegg then, a little cheaper, got this one for $859 at zipzoomfly.

Can't wait to hear how it games! How's the latency?
Yeah, neither can I, if only I could find an E6600 Core 2 Duo I could begin the game-a-thon, but alas, I am stuck playing Continuum :) no latency in that game, which is surprising because I usually lag because of my internet, hehe.

Well if you all can use a wireless mouse without feeling the lag then there is no way you will notice the screen's lag. I have tried several wireless mice and found them all completely worthless, even the G7. I guess some people are just more sensitive to timing than others... Maybe its because Ive got Rhythym! J/K

Well if you all can use a wireless mouse without feeling the lag then there is no way you will notice the screen's lag. I have tried several wireless mice and found them all completely worthless, even the G7. I guess some people are just more sensitive to timing than others... Maybe its because Ive got Rhythym! J/K

Yeah docmal, I remember thoroughly reading your post about your tests and was very worried, because I thought I had the same kind of sensitivity to such things. I can EASILY tell the difference between 60hz and 75hz on a CRT monitor, I haven't found anyone else who can tell the flashing though at 60hz :p

So when I noticed a horrible input lag from the notebook optical I was upset, but now using this G7 I feel so much better, but like you said, I must not be able to tell now. Do you think there is any chance that this G7 might be different than the other colored G7s, maybe better firmware or something? Even so, from what i've read at behardware a mouse can only cause like 8-16ms of lag to begin with, so yeah, even then it might not matter.

go vtech =)
Heck yeah, i'll be a Junior there next year, hopin for another awesome 'rise from underdog' football season, hehe.

docmal said:
Well if you all can use a wireless mouse without feeling the lag then there is no way you will notice the screen's lag. I have tried several wireless mice and found them all completely worthless, even the G7.
I just wanted to quote this because it is the truth.

i'm glad the original poster enjoys his new display. However, anyone who uses a wireless mouse is not really going to be able to judge input lag for the rest of us.

Every single wireless mouse on the market has UNACCEPTABLE input lag. These mice are expensive, heavy, and consume batteries to boot. Why anyone would fork out extra money for the "convenience" of not having a tiny thin cord on your desk is beyond me.

For those who are going to review monitors, if you have a cheap corded mouse handy I would highly advise you to plug it in before reviewing.

btw, how much did you pay for that bad boy?
$859.99 at zipzoomfly

I now see Newegg came down with their $1300 price tag a month ago :p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001222 and zipzoom, http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=232473 theyve fluctuated some, especially on the silver model.

As for the wireless vs wired mouse, here is where i've been gathering some info about all this good stuff, the recently translated article: http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-3/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html

You may very well be right about how wireless users wouldn't be able to tell input lag anyway (and unfortunately I don't have a wired USB mouse to test with in my house :p) but I still thought the optical vs laser finding was interesting for me.

Im chiming in cuz i have the 244T too. I went from a silver one but did a support ticket with samsung and they apparently decided it was ok to RMA it. They sent me a new black one instead and I think the input lag is still there (using a G7 as well) but isnt quite as bad as the silver one I had, maybe its a newer revisions, i dunno. Think i'll switch to my mx500 and test it out although the G7 is the best wireless mouse i've ever used.

hey i didn't know that this screen had multimedia inputs! sweetness....

I agree.

To the OP, can you please get a cheap wired mouse and test the input lag? Just borrow a friend's mouse for a few minutes even.

I've been on the fence about getting this monitor, but I need to decide within the next few days... so I'd appreciate it if you could do the test.

Thanks

I agree.

To the OP, can you please get a cheap wired mouse and test the input lag? Just borrow a friend's mouse for a few minutes even.

I've been on the fence about getting this monitor, but I need to decide within the next few days... so I'd appreciate it if you could do the test.

Thanks

Got my old Microsoft Intelli-explorer optical mouse out (got that thing 8 years ago) yeah its pretty archaic, but I didn't notice any more or less input lag than with my G7. Again, the wireless optical notebook mouse however, still exhibits a large delay that I can easily get discouraged about.

Back