My DirecTV project is underway...

yeah, I don't want to make mine either.

They have some signal shields there too :cool:

valve1138 said:
yeah, I don't want to make mine either.

They have some signal shields there too :cool:

$1.50 kinda high for a 2 inch piece of duct tape ;)

And guys making your own emittor is NOT hard at all. I have a similiar setup and just bought two IR emitors, and a stereo minijack. Advantage to making your own is you do not have that "big" stereo to mono Y-adapter.

Yeah if you do not own a solder iron, it is not worth it to buy a solder iron just for this job. But if you do it is cheaper, and faster since you can get everything at RadioShack and not have to wait for the stuff to be delivered.

yeah, but between building my poker table, tackling this server setup, building a 3rd client PC, and now I have to build an A/V rack big enough to hold my HTPC and a 17" monitor, dorking with a little LED didn't appeal to me at all. I will probably try building some later and putting these on ebay or soemthing. I am striving to make my HT built by me as much as possible.

Word of friendly advice on the 282M adhesive pads, ditch them right away and use superglue. If there is any heat build up in the area they will lose stick very soon. We use these at my job all the time and always go straight to the superglue. Nothing worse than someone calling up and have to have an after hours service call because an emitter fell off the location.

well, I think the 2 layers of duct tape will keep them in place. not pretty, but this stuff is in a closet in my basement. out of sight and a hassle to go mess with.

I use a IR distrubution system, and found some 3M clear double-side tape that is precut to 1/2" squares. Works really well, have it holding emittors all over my entertainment center that gets rather warm. Been using these for about 2 years now. Trick is clean the surfaces FIRST.

I am curious about the superglue, seems that would cause damage to the surface of many electronics. Not sure I would want to do that to my equipment.

Wow, don't know where i've been but i nearly missed this Plog, great work ID.

ID you've mentioned making your home theatre "DIY" as much as possible, have you looked into DIY satellite yet? (i believe registration is needed to view)

Start up costs aren't bad at all either...

IDversusEGO said:
No, MCE does not support client server setup. .

Are you sure about this? My understanding is that MCE has Media Center Extenders (ie, software for Xbox or standalone client boxes) that would make this type of setup even easier. This is 2005, anyway.

Very classy setup you have going here, though. I'm just breaking into htpc territory, but I'm hooked on terrestrial HDTV for all my network TV needs. My goal is to have zero recurring monthly costs and the best source quality available.

Ultimately, I'm going to miss HBO enough to get Voom later this year.. but for now, I'm going to kick Time Warner out of my living room.

they do have the extenders, but i don't like it. no where near the flexibility of the sage setup. of course,t hat can be said of MCE in general.

The MCE extenders are not like having an server client setup, for one thing the extenders are vary limited in what they can show. They're more like dumb "access points" or something like that.

I am doing a VERY similar project right now except I am building it on MythTV instead of SageTV. Also, for the DirecTV stuff my girlfriend's dad is a programmer for NDS (Software for DirecTV) and he gave me many tips, one of which I think you should know....

Do not use 3' lengths of RG6 as patch. Go buy some 6' lengths. The boxes are not used to such short lengths and the internals put out a signal powerful enough for much longer lengths. The DirecTV boxes will get overly warm on the inside as they dissipate this stronger signal.

It'll work your way, but it'll work more reliably down the line my way.

k, I might give that a shot. It has been running pretty well for over a year though. but anything that will reduce the heat.

Looks real good so far. I would have gone serial all the way as I've had issues with those ir things in the past(your duct tape should fix that though). Still pretty cool though. If you could only do that with hdtv.....

swatbat said:
Looks real good so far. I would have gone serial all the way as I've had issues with those ir things in the past(your duct tape should fix that though). Still pretty cool though. If you could only do that with hdtv.....
that is one change I have made. I originally wanted to do the IR route because I could use it on any setup in the future. but the little wires for the repeaters and the coding and learning on rebuild got to be a pain. Now I have usb/serial converters and all serial control.

very nice work on the poker table, i have something like that, but mine is leather and dident build it :p

-(Xyphox)- said:
very nice work on the poker table, i have something like that, but mine is leather and dident build it :p
after my desk is finished, I am going to sand and restain the table. It's not dark enough for me.

Back