Multiplayer gaming sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trashtalking and teabagging is part of the fun.

Maybe for some, but I always found that part of multiplayer to be a turn off. I usually jump servers once a match is over if the chat is just trashtalking.

Personally for me I am more interested in MP vs SP. Single Player never feels the same as multiplayer. I am not even talking about from a difficulty perspective, but more from how the game feels. The guns don't feel the same, the shooting doesn't feel the same, the damage is usually lowered, etc. I think the last single player I enjoyed was from Soldier of Fortune 2 and that was due to the damage model. Also the game to me felt the same way both in Single Player and Multiplayer.

I play multiplayer but only with a group of friends that I can talk to on teamspeak while the game voice is muted. I get tired of my team being composed of groups of randoms so bad that they're usually shooting me in the back because they can't tell friend from foe. They should at least have the decency to run out and get shot in the face by the other team.

Maybe for some, but I always found that part of multiplayer to be a turn off. I usually jump servers once a match is over if the chat is just trashtalking.

Personally for me I am more interested in MP vs SP. Single Player never feels the same as multiplayer. I am not even talking about from a difficulty perspective, but more from how the game feels. The guns don't feel the same, the shooting doesn't feel the same, the damage is usually lowered, etc. I think the last single player I enjoyed was from Soldier of Fortune 2 and that was due to the damage model. Also the game to me felt the same way both in Single Player and Multiplayer.
SoF2! OMG! I wish there'd be a proper installment with today's hardware. Another satisfying game is FEAR, slowmo+SPAS12 = constant grin on me :D

I get what you're saying, I just don't have that drive to compete and worry about 'skill', because I just don't care. I don't get off on defeating other human beings. I just like sitting down, relaxing and playing a game, not worrying about all that stuff you mentioned. Too stressful.

I understand, I have more friends who think like you than think like me :p

I find it relaxing to compete, and I enjoy games of skill.

I feel like I'm wasting my time playing single player games; it feels like virtual masturbation.

With multiplayer I feel like I'm being social, to some degree. The competition aspect is nice because it lets me focus on a certain set of objectives and I get to forget about being an adult.

Same goals, but different roads to completion.

I have enjoyed DOTA 2 for like a week now, the game is fun and FTP but you need to have 4 competent teamates which can be a struggle given the randomized matchmaking. One of the following often happens:

#1 Someone drops/ragequits from the game, which cripples your team or cripples the opposing team

#2 There are players that have no idea what they're doing which basically makes them the same as #1 except everytime they die they make the other team stronger

#3 There are people trying out a new character they have no idea how to use similar to #2

Since these matches can last up to an hour it can be a frustrating experience when any of the above occurs.

I love both single and multiplayer, but I refuse to play MP online with strangers for the most part. If I'm feeling competitive, I'll play some Quake 1, 2 , or 3A with some friends. If I'm not, I'll play some co-op like a Borederlands game. Most of the time though I play SP, but that's based on multiple factors. One, I just like to play alone sometimes. I like the way I get pulled into a game with a story. (Dishonored was the most recent one that just sucked me in for a few days to where I'd kind of forget I was playing a game.) I have kids, so I typically wait until they go to bed and my wife gets tired and falls asleep. It's kind of hard to coordinate playing MP games with my friends at those hours, especially since they fluctuate constantly.

I DEFINITELY refuse to play a game where I have to hear other players. I just don't want to. The only way that could possibly be fun, is if I tossed up a quick LAN game with some friends in the same room or the like.

I DEFINITELY refuse to play a game where I have to hear other players. I just don't want to. The only way that could possibly be fun, is if I tossed up a quick LAN game with some friends in the same room or the like.

I hear you there, for some reason everytime I used to hear groaning on a mic during a MP game it reminded me of those weirdos on like omegle and chatroulette. Shudder.

I'm sure there are nice, normal people out there...but the moaning weirdos ruined it for me.

I understand, I have more friends who think like you than think like me :p

I find it relaxing to compete, and I enjoy games of skill.

I feel like I'm wasting my time playing single player games; it feels like virtual masturbation.

With multiplayer I feel like I'm being social, to some degree. The competition aspect is nice because it lets me focus on a certain set of objectives and I get to forget about being an adult.

Same goals, but different roads to completion.

Heard you there, although the forget about being an adult part...unfortunately most people take that premise to an extreme, which drives people like me away from the scene.

Greater internet fuckwad theory and all, you know how it is.

I've played ever since the Quake and Tribes days. Love the Battlefield series, but I don't get as much time to play anymore. Log on, have a little fun and try not to get roflstomped by a bunch of lvl110s stacked. Also try to ignore the trolls and kids being asses on the mic. Not as fun as it used to be.

I love coop games, but quality ones are few and far between.

So can we agree that people that prefer Sp are terrible at MP and like to play less aggressive games -- all SP games and AI (hell even Dark Souls is a fucking joke compared to any CS, CSS, CSGO pub game.). This is what i love about the gaming community, there are options for the absolute terrible players...we call it single-player.

Most games are going to a online only element ( for DRm reasons, pirating, whatever) but it is happening. I expect in 10 years most games being MMO type games with all games having a heavy emphasis of MP gaming - most people don't like playing SP bore fest games. I personally don't know a single person that doesn't get bored of a SP game (Skyrim, the Witcher 2) in over 10 hours. If Skyrim didn't have mods I wouldn't even have finished it. MP is the future baddie.

Last edited:
So can we agree that people that prefer Sp are terrible at MP and like to play less aggressive games -- all SP games and AI (hell even Dark Souls is a fucking joke compared to any CS, CSS, CSGO pub game.). This is what i love about the gaming community, there are options for the absolute terrible players...we call it single-player.

Less agressive like rise of triad. :eek:

Most games are going to a online only element ( for DRm reasons, pirating, whatever) but it is happening. I expect in 10 years most games being MMO type games with all games having a heavy emphasis of MP gaming - most people don't like playing SP bore fest games. I personally don't know a single person that doesn't get bored of a SP game (Skyrim, the Witcher 2) in over 10 hours. If Skyrim didn't have mods I wouldn't even have finished it. MP is the future baddie.

You're exactly the type of player I'm trying to avoid.

See to you, everything about PC gaming is whether you're good or not, and what kind of uber competition you're in with your fellow man. You do realize that some people aren't interested in that type of gameplay right? It's cute that you boil everything down into a neat little package of being 'terrible' or not, but did you ever stop to think that there are other aspects/life situations/likes/dislikes that every individual has to think about before deciding if MP is for them?

That angry, confrontational type of personality that permeates the multi-player community is one of the reasons I choose not to play MP games. If never having to play a game with people like you is a tradeoff for a stranger abstractly calling me terrible as a consequence? I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday.

This is what i love about the gaming community, there are options for the absolute assholes...we call it multi-player.

hackers and cheaters have ruined MP gaming...if everyone played on a level playing field then it would be a lot more fun...it's still fun depending on the game- Dark Souls pvp is great...it's just the mainstream games that have been cheapened- BF, CoD

Dark Souls had a lot of cheats/exploits until a recent patch. It was so bad, there were weapons that would freeze people in place, until they were killed and weapons that would permanently drain your stats, but the stat pricing wouldn't re-adjust, so it would end up being unrealistic to get your stats back up (see: it would end up costing you millions of souls). there were other cheats too, such as invading right no top of your victim, etc.

You're exactly the type of player I'm trying to avoid.

See to you, everything about PC gaming is whether you're good or not, and what kind of uber competition you're in with your fellow man. You do realize that some people aren't interested in that type of gameplay right? It's cute that you boil everything down into a neat little package of being 'terrible' or not, but did you ever stop to think that there are other aspects/life situations/likes/dislikes that every individual has to think about before deciding if MP is for them?

That angry, confrontational type of personality that permeates the multi-player community is one of the reasons I choose not to play MP games. If never having to play a game with people like you is a tradeoff for a stranger abstractly calling me terrible as a consequence? I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday.

This is what i love about the gaming community, there are options for the absolute assholes...we call it multi-player.

Agreed. Sometimes it is fun to play a game the way you want to play it. "Quit going prone with that LMG, run out in the open so I can kill you!" Lag, people, VOIP/mics, and whatnot are reasons to not play MP games. I also notice the people who rant on about "skill" and "learning curve" tend to play games which have at best, 9-10 functions (Counter Strike, Quake ect.).

Though I play both SP/MP games and enjoy the good aspects of both. :D

Dark Souls had a lot of cheats/exploits until a recent patch. It was so bad, there were weapons that would freeze people in place, until they were killed and weapons that would permanently drain your stats, but the stat pricing wouldn't re-adjust, so it would end up being unrealistic to get your stats back up (see: it would end up costing you millions of souls). there were other cheats too, such as invading right no top of your victim, etc.

the ratio of cheaters vs legit players in Dark Souls pvp seems to be much less...or maybe I just haven't run into a lot of them...Dark Souls is the first game in a long time where I've devoted a large chunk of gameplay into multiplayer

I get what you're saying, I just don't have that drive to compete and worry about 'skill', because I just don't care. I don't get off on defeating other human beings. I just like sitting down, relaxing and playing a game, not worrying about all that stuff you mentioned. Too stressful.

then multiplayer isn't for you and move on..

what exactly was the point of this thread to begin with other than telling us you don't want to play multiplayer because you are lazy?

When I play most MP, I know that I'm going to die a lot. I've enjoyed COD:G MP, but in a stupid fun way. Gears of War MP, specifically Team DM was a lot better.

I tend to play games with the campaign first an foremost, but I do dabble in MP. I haven't really done much since the UT days. I'm not terribly old, but I simply don't have the time to sit on my ass and play for hours on end. I'd love to do MP with friends, but trying to coordinate that is hard because we're all older, have families. One guy had both his 360 and PS3 stolen, so that doesn't help.

I've never been one that makes MP the go-to stuff, but it's fun to play now and then.

Master [H];1040491842 said:
When I play most MP, I know that I'm going to die a lot. I've enjoyed COD:G MP, but in a stupid fun way

that's the right mindset...don't take it too seriously...have fun...if you're going to get uptight after losing a match then MP is not for you...have fun dying

I'm somewhat competitive so I'll make an effort to win but I'm not competitive enough to spend time mastering a game so I'll play online some but spend most of my gaming time playing single-player games. After playing TF2 for a couple thousand hours I realized that there are too many other games out there to be spending time playing one game.

I see Dark Souls mentioned, I purchased it a while back but since I know that GFWL is going away I'm going to put it off and hope for a conversion to Steamworks since, if they do migrate to Steamworks, they'll likely incorporate VAC. For some reason, I find it hilarious that VAC has been incorporated into a few games lately, like Resident Evil 6 and Revelations and Sonic & All-stars Racing. Can you imagine some idiot getting VAC banned for cheating in Sonic Racing? heheheh Anyway, here's hoping that Dark Souls gets migrated to Steamworks.

I'm somewhat competitive so I'll make an effort to win but I'm not competitive enough to spend time mastering a game so I'll play online some but spend most of my gaming time playing single-player games. After playing TF2 for a couple thousand hours I realized that there are too many other games out there to be spending time playing one game.

I see Dark Souls mentioned, I purchased it a while back but since I know that GFWL is going away I'm going to put it off and hope for a conversion to Steamworks since, if they do migrate to Steamworks, they'll likely incorporate VAC. For some reason, I find it hilarious that VAC has been incorporated into a few games lately, like Resident Evil 6 and Revelations and Sonic & All-stars Racing. Can you imagine some idiot getting VAC banned for cheating in Sonic Racing? heheheh Anyway, here's hoping that Dark Souls gets migrated to Steamworks.

Do you realize you have 7 months to play Dark Souls online, before the GFWL servers go down? and even after that, you can play the game offline, still. and even more important, Dark Souls 2 is out in March. May as well use the torch now, while it is lit.

Multiplayer seems like a mixed bag & cod is full of bad examples usually. I wish there were more CO-OP games honestly.

I find it amusing that the people who mainly like SP in this thread are being calm and respectful and explaining their views clearly while the people claiming we don't play play online due to "rage quitting" are the ones acting like five year olds. No one is telling you children that you can't play your precious MP, we're not attacking you for liking it. Why are you so insecure that you have to attack others for having a different opinion?

I find it amusing that the people who mainly like SP in this thread are being calm and respectful

Funny you should say that in a thread titled "Multiplayer gaming sucks". Politely saying fu begs for proper response.

Funny you should say that in a thread titled "Multiplayer gaming sucks". Politely saying fu begs for proper response.

So someone has an opinion you don't agree with and to argue you act like a child, completely validating that opinion. Do you not see the problem here?

What say you? What makes you multiplayers stick with it? I know what the #1 answer is going to be...because humans make different decisions than AI does. My answer is, so what?

More content and gaming hours. I greatly enjoy single player experiences and storylines over most multiplayer games -- excluding MMORPGs. With mmorpgs, I enjoy the social aspect to be honest. So its a bit of a tie between MMORPG and single player games. That being said, single player games tend to last me only 12 hours or ...3-4? days of gameplay time at the rate I virgin away... err play away. Kidding, I'm not a virgin but 'chronically' single.

So anyways, as far as a single player games go, I tend to mostly do the main quest + side quests and don't care about achievements for absolute 100% completion. I'll usually end a game at like 70%. Done the main quests, done most of the side quests but no I haven't killed 300 of 300 dragons. Maybe only 250.

So for me getting 12 hours of gameplay for a title when new costs $59.99? I play around $5/hr for a single player gaming experience assuming I'm playing 'new' games and not older games. With playing 3-4 hours a day, that would get quickly to be 90-120 hours a month or $450-$600 dollars a month. Assuming, I could find 10 new games to play a month... that I was interested in. I'd argue closer to 2 per month // 6 per season. So mmorpg work great for me to fill in extra time and at a far cheaper cost to play which in turn lets me spend more on hardware.

You just keep sugar coating the simple truth. You're trying to avoid "people like him" because they're not willing to let you win. Read that wikipedia page I pointed you to. It might help you. The sour grapes mentality is not good for you. What you're interested in seems to be some sort of special olympics for gaming. That would be the day. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but thanks. If you're literally saying that I'm trying to avoid people like him because they're not willing to let me win, no....I'm trying to avoid people like him because I don't like playing with assholes. Is that hard to understand? And no, I'm not clicking some link you posted. Your post makes little sense as it stands now.

So the word 'sucks' bothers you that much? Go to thesaurus.com and find me a new word and I'll change it for you if you're so upset about it.

I find it amusing that the people who mainly like SP in this thread are being calm and respectful and explaining their views clearly while the people claiming we don't play play online due to "rage quitting" are the ones acting like five year olds. No one is telling you children that you can't play your precious MP, we're not attacking you for liking it. Why are you so insecure that you have to attack others for having a different opinion?

People who play multiplayer games IMO are more combative and aggressive, be it on a game or a forum with their keyboard. It's just the nature of their personality that draws them to have to e-sport in the first place.

I've been on the opposite side of this claiming that online play or competitive multiplayer sucks. It usually happens when I hit a skill wall and I'm not getting better. This time last year I started playing Starcraft 2 which was the first time I ever played an RTS online. I advanced very quickly making it to #1 Gold and then top platinum league in one ladder season. Then I hit the wall. I was playing much better players who were ranked in Diamond. The skills necessary to win had changed and I hadn't developed them. I gave up. I rage uninstalled multiple times. I claimed the game was "not fun."

In reality, I just sucked. A game might not be fun for you because you suck, but that doesn't mean the game sucks.

I love MP gaming I have been out of the loop of it since like Everquest 2 bought a new PC now I picked up like Rift and Duke Nukem forever and never looked backed.

If you play MP too much it can get overwhelming if you can't deal with people o well.

What gets me though are young kids playing rated M games and use their mic trying to dictate people around that is the only thing that gets me really.

It's all good...

I'm fascinated by the MP'ers ONLY response is that obviously the only reason, the absolute ONLY reason that I dislike MP is because I'm not good at it.

Are you that dense? So you're saying that every situation/hobby in life that people dislike is because they're bad at it?

Please explain to me (since you obviously know me personally so well), how you could have any freaking clue to support your claim.

It's amazing to me, the absolute final verdict on ANYONE that doesn't like MP gaming is because they suck. Fascinating. There's nothing else. It's 100%.

I don't like playing solitaire or crossword puzzles or lap swimming either. Not because of any perceived lack of 'skill', lol...it's because I DONT LIKE THE ACTIVITIES.

You MP'ers are really embarassing yourselves. The 'lol you must just suck' makes you appear to be about 8 years old, but I'm not at all surprised...that's exactly the type of mentality that you see in most MP games from kids on a daily basis.

Online FPS are more aggressive because they constantly bead the screen have their heart pounding faster and only care about getting the attack lag dog in COD to grief everyone playing the game.

Which can make the game really unfair and unfun if you are playing against some MLG players.

You care too much at your advanced gaming age. :) You probably have had a few different car payments by now. You worry about your credit rating. But when you want to unwind, you just want to have fun.

This is what is wrong with E-Sports. I watch a streamer that has probably 3,000 subscribers. Each sub pays him $5 per month. He gets tons more cash from donations to his PayPal account. Many multitudes more than his sub money amounts to. He also gets commercial spot revenue from the amount of people in his stream. He plays WoW at a high level doing PVE. Technically that isn't an E-Sport, but the PVE guys race to beat bosses to get world firsts. This gets them sponsorships from companies like Razer.

The last stream I watched, this guy had to pause his discussion to allow his maid clean the room he was in. He doesn't have a regular job, but his GF does. He says that she works because she feels the need to; not because she has to. He has his food delivered to his home and I don't mean pizza. I mean real food! He has a personal trainer. He is also sponsored by a weight loss company. This guy kills bosses in a video game.

Now he's almost exactly your age. So he's not acting like an ass most of the time. But it's to give you an idea why people want to be as good as the E-Sports guys. When money is being tossed around like that you want to join them. I watched another guy get a $100,000 donation from a subscriber "for being good and showing him how to play World of Warcraft." Also he liked his toxic personality.

I was checking out channel on Twitch last night, dude was playing Dark Souls which forgive me I had never heard of until I watched him play it. This guy had a couple thousand subscribers and he had a green screen effect where he was overlayed on the gameplay screen. He was super boring to listen to, he mentioned his family was so poor they didn't do Christmas gifts which didn't make sense if he was playing all these games and streaming it. He was asking for computer parts from subsribers so he could play more games. I guess I don't get it.

I was there to check out some gameplay, I didn't realize there was a whole market for paying people to stream games.

<shrug>

The only multiplayer I engage in these days is NHL 14 on xbox 360 and Diablo 3 every once in a while. Back in the day my friends and I would go on benders for days playing Rogue Spear and Operation Flashpoint. I tried to like COD but as much as I played I wasn't really having fun. I much prefer coop to deathmatch or PvP games.

Last edited:
You guys can debate, even argue the facts all you want. But, when someone starts trolling to stir things up, or when it turns personal, people get infracted or temp banned or perma banned as required to make the point. Keep it on topic, leave the personal insults out of the discussion or we'll have to do something about it. That choice is completely up to you.

For me, it's not so much i enjoy multiplayer games to "pwn noobs," moreso as i just feel a sense of accomplishment through the progression the game offers (namely in MMOs). Granted i enjoy single player games as much as the next guy, but when i feel like i need motivation to play, or some sort of goal, MMORPGs usually have just that. The defined progression and community sweet spot you can find in such games really just feels fun.

I'm not really too into the competitve scene of online gaming, but i did sort of feel irked when i watched this one livestream of a league of legends tournament a couple weeks back. That's just me though. If anything, it could just be because i'm not into those types of games.

i use to be pretty competitive when it came to the BF series been in leagues since early BF1942, CAL 12v12 championship and TWL ect ect all expenses paid to fly to an event in san francisco in 2006 for BF2 for a Directv sponsored event yadda yadda. i think i have around 8k hours into playing the BF series.

i am done competing but i still prefer mp games way more than 90% of the single player ones, it seems like the only single player games that can hold me are good RPG's like dragon age origin or skyrim with a lot of mods, or mass effect ect. or a good open world action game like just cause 2 or grand theft auto/saints row.

and without multi player how else are you supposed to make stun grenade impact kill montages..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9cDP_RJMS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pspVLq9-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WjvvH7zYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEbonOaPWxQ

Last edited:
I have a feeling the OP more than likely had a very bad experience in an MP. Which is obvious, it happens to everybody, except in this case the OP has retreated into his own confines and decided to conjure up such a hateful thread, instead of learning how to compete in a competitive game. My guess is he probably got berated for doing something stupid or incorrectly in a competitive match which hurt his precious little feelings. To me the OP sounds like a casual gamer, he games to "not be stressed out" and associates that with MP, that is to say there aren't any stressful SP games? Clearly, OP doesn't like challenging games because he doesn't like being stressed(there are good stressors and there are bad stressors and simply using your mind to make a heavy weighted choice is a stressor) I would recommend to him a game which requires no skill or anything that brings about a challenge, perhaps a game like Dear Esther would fit the bill. The OP also sounds anti-social, simply cringing when people talk on the mic sounds like a personal issue. I mean I cringe at people on the mic as well, but annoying, gaudy people...regular folk are okay.

a lot of multi player fun has to do with who you play with and how you play it.

if you have friends, and are not a loner all the time you can make a lot of mp games fun.

Take CoD:MW2 i hate that game but i enjoyed who i played with and i found ways to make it fun like i only played hardcore S&D and put limits on my self and generally would go out knives and pistol/stun grenade only against people using everything. i made the game fun for me. and i have some regulars i play with all the time too so i know what to expect on in game coms or in vent or TS from most people.

sure you some times get someone with a bad mic or crap personality but you can easily mute them in most games so that is a non issue.

I like multiplayer games because I've made money from playing in "e-sports". The fan scene around the games are extremely dedicated and passionate in my experience as well. Money in combination with the feeling of dominating in a field/game is what does it for me.

I don't have much experience with modern FPS, so most of my competitive play remains from games like WC3, BW, SC2, and RTS games in general.

Competing was some of the most fun I've ever had in games, especially years ago when streaming was considerably rarer, so playing live with someone casting the game that you're expected to lose only to win solidly... oh man. I still remember near the end I made a couple clutch as fuck plays and when I watched the broadcast after, they were glued to me for the time.

Gathering for practice, concocting strats, putting something never done to use in an actual match to great success. I remember in UT04 onslaught when we came up with a way on one map to hit the mid cap point from spawn... and do a stupid amount of damage to it so it was absurdly hard to get. Practicing fast paths and riding on manta wings. Getting free servers that people played on all the time. Nearly winning at the time 500 dollar video cards.

Sometimes in CS GO now you'll come across people streaming with a lot of viewers. Nothing like making several hundred people watch the person they're rooting for spend more time dead than playing as your team hits all the right notes.

I'm just barely scratching the surface, but if you've done it, you probably know how fun it was and can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back