MSI Unveils New GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
As the world's most popular GAMING graphics card vendor, HARDOCP - is proud to introduce[/URL] its full line up of graphics cards based on NVIDIA’s new Pascal GPU with fierce new looks and supreme performance to match. Building on the monumental success of MSI's award winning GTX 900 GAMING series, the MSI GeForce® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G premieres the impressive TWIN FROZR VI thermal design allowing for higher core and memory clock speeds for increased performance in games. The famous shapes of the eye-catching TWIN FROZR cooler are intensified by a fiery red GAMING glow piercing through the cover, while the MSI GAMING dragon RGB LED on the side can be set to any of 16.8 million colors to match your mood or build. A completely new custom 12-phase PCB design using Military Class 4 components with an 8+ 6-pin power connectors enables higher overclocking performance to push your graphics card to the max. The classy matte black solid metal backplate gives the card more structural strength and provides a nice finishing touch.

As the world's most popular GAMING graphics card vendor, HARDOCP - is proud to introduce[/URL] its full line up of graphics cards based on NVIDIA’s new Pascal GPU with fierce new looks and supreme performance to match. Building on the monumental success of MSI's award winning GTX 900 GAMING series, the MSI GeForce® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G premieres the impressive TWIN FROZR VI thermal design allowing for higher core and memory clock speeds for increased performance in games. The famous shapes of the eye-catching TWIN FROZR cooler are intensified by a fiery red GAMING glow piercing through the cover, while the MSI GAMING dragon RGB LED on the side can be set to any of 16.8 million colors to match your mood or build. A completely new custom 12-phase PCB design using Military Class 4 components with an 8+ 6-pin power connectors enables higher overclocking performance to push your graphics card to the max. The classy matte black solid metal backplate gives the card more structural strength and provides a nice finishing touch.
link doesn't work

Do I see a Lightning version there next to the Sea Hawk? No mention on the launch site...

SeaHawk for me! (when I get around to actually building a PC!) Personally I am sick to death of the "bling" on most products. I just want a rack mountable chassis with near silent operation. This fits the bill nicely. Any word on pricing on these?

We'll see how it plays out, but the current Seahawk specs only show 1x 8pin connector. It's hard to understand why they wouldn't just put an AIO on the 'GAMING' edition so you had both the power to push it and the cooling to cool it...

heh is it just me or would it be better if they just offered 2 cards instead? on aircooled and one water/hybrid and release an app that lets enthusiasts oc/tweak the bios

according to this its looking like MSI plans to charge quite a premium for thier twin frozr design (the gaming X card)

As much as I love MSI, no way in hell it's worth 730 dollars. If that really does wind up being the case, looks like the best custom/oc'd solution is the Asus ROG Strix or the EVGA SuperClocked.

Plus it looks like the estimate is that MSI will be lagging 2 weeks behind everyone else in terms of release. I'm limiting myself to 650, and am willing to wait till reasonable prices show up on amazon, I want to milk my 3% cashback for all it's worth :)

lol jesus christ i thought the custom coolers were going to be more like 40-50 dollar premiums over 600 max. looks like asus and evga are going to get everyone's business.

lol jesus christ i thought the custom coolers were going to be more like 40-50 dollar premiums over 600 max. looks like asus and evga are going to get everyone's business.
There's another factor to consider though, which is the board these cards are using (reference vs custom). I'd imagine those custom boards with extra power phase, etc will cost more as well.

Of course, whether it's worth the extra money remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I hope ASUS can meet the demand they're gonna get at that price point. I hope I can score one before everyone else!

I would have gone with MSI, but nope, at $100 more I'll go with EVGA or most likely, Asus. The Gaming X price is a shame. Most likely there was going something on like FE = Reference = MSRP in their minds... SMH

They are. Let's see how they justify that $100 premium over the Asus card with nearly the same performance!

Hmm the normal strix is 620 € (620$ according to that file)and the OC version 799€ (640$ in the file) something is fishy there.

Asus is the best bang for the buck. You get better power phases and cooler for only $620. You have to spend $680 to get better power from EVGA FTW. I ended up ordering the EVGA FTW though because it was actually available to preorder.

according to this its looking like MSI plans to charge quite a premium for thier twin frozr design (the gaming X card)

As much as I love MSI, no way in hell it's worth 730 dollars. If that really does wind up being the case, looks like the best custom/oc'd solution is the Asus ROG Strix or the EVGA SuperClocked.

Plus it looks like the estimate is that MSI will be lagging 2 weeks behind everyone else in terms of release. I'm limiting myself to 650, and am willing to wait till reasonable prices show up on amazon, I want to milk my 3% cashback for all it's worth :)

Couldn't agree more. Every year I'm always thinking I'm going to try an MSI product. Looks like it's not happening this year either

Asus is the best bang for the buck. You get better power phases and cooler for only $620. You have to spend $680 to get better power from EVGA FTW. I ended up ordering the EVGA FTW though because it was actually available to preorder.
Where did you preorder it? EVGA's website says "notify me".

I've always had the best luck with MSI -- Rocking their M5 board for my Skylake 6600k, their MSI Ghost Laptop is top quality, but someone was smoking a crack pipe when they decided to tack on 100+ dollars to MSRP for their gaming version of a 1080. I've never had bad luck with asus by any means.

At this point looking at prices I'm wiling to give my money to the first company (asus or evga) that can get me a custom cooled oc'd card for 650 or less.

DAmn. I love Msi cards and was excited about the reveal but those prices are suck if true. I think they have the nicer looking cards in general and Twin Frozer has served me well, but damn. Looks like possibly back to Evga.

I typically buy MSI cards but no way I am paying more for the freaking 1080 Gaming than I did for the 980 Ti Gaming last year. That is asinine amounts of money for a non Ti card. It is looking like the ASUS Strix for me at this point. Heck I might just get a 1070 and hold out for the real high end.

The ASUS STRIX cards, are those custom PCB or reference? If custom, then wow, great pricing. If reference, then I can understand the relatively "cheap" pricing.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like a custom job with 8+2 power phases. Nice!

Back