MSI RMA issues

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Update 3/16/2015: A check is being sent for $183, satisfactorily concluding this RMA.

I have a MSI Big Bang Xpower II that stopped turning on for whatever reason. Not sure why, happened out of the blue.

MSI does not have any replacement motherboards to send out. They cannot fix my motherboard without sending it to Asia for repairs. It's either wait several weeks for the repair, or accept a check for $165. There is nowhere I can purchase a Big Bang Xpower II for $165, and the board was sent in 2 weeks ago, and I really don't want to wait a month or possibly longer for a replacement board. I have a Bitspower fullcover set specific to the Xpower II, and don't want to get a different board. I gave them the very reasonable (IMO) option of sending me a check for $183, which I can then use to purchase a used board off of Amazon. They refused, saying that $165 is all they can offer because of their "pricing calculation algorithms." $183 is only $18 more, I don't understand why they won't do it to keep a customer happy. I was always happy with MSI because their RMAs were prompt and quick in the past, and their products were always solid for me, but this might make me go to Gigabyte or ASRock as my only motherboard brands.

I'm going to try to continue negotiating this issue, I might have to suck it up and spend the extra $18 (4+ weeks is not worth the wait). Any MSI reps on here that may be able to help?

Last edited:
If you need your computer to have a specific motherboard and need it right now, then I'd suggest to take whatever they will give you and vote with your wallet the next time around.

You are right, $18 is not worth fighting over. Just take your business elsewhere (although given the practice of most companies, you may very well end up running out of vendors to choose from sooner or later :D)

buy used board, wait for rma replacement, sell replacement when it arrives

buy used board, wait for rma replacement, sell replacement when it arrives

No guarantee I can sell anywhere near replacement costs. Might as well eat the $18, as shipping it is going to be at least 10, and paypal fees in the 150 range is ~5. Unless you're suggesting I can sell it for 200 (hint: it's not).

Why do you have to have that same exact board? Why not just have them send you an alternative board they have in stock?

Because of the Bitspower full cover blocks I bought for the board, that's why.

Thanks, I will try contacting Eugene.

Just curious, but who is Eugene ?

I only ask because I own several MSI products, none of which I've ever had any issues with, but having a go to person should something happen would be nice :)

Just curious, but who is Eugene ?

I only ask because I own several MSI products, none of which I've ever had any issues with, but having a go to person should something happen would be nice :)

Look a few posts up.

I sent a PM to Eugene, but haven't received a response yet.

Take the offer, its only $18. How long have you had this board? If it was a relatively short time then I'd make an issue for the $18 but if its been a while then I can see the price they offer as being justified sort of, I mean you did use the motherboard for a duration and if you sold that motherboard fully working to someone else would you get the full price you paid for new? I'm thinking thats what they did when they came up with that number and it makes sense.

Take the offer, its only $18. How long have you had this board? If it was a relatively short time then I'd make an issue for the $18 but if its been a while then I can see the price they offer as being justified sort of, I mean you did use the motherboard for a duration and if you sold that motherboard fully working to someone else would you get the full price you paid for new? I'm thinking thats what they did when they came up with that number and it makes sense.

The board was over 300 brand new. The $183 I quoted was a used listing on Amazon.

It is a bit odd. I'm pretty sure if my boss were to get a complaint from a customer over $18 the first question I would be getting asked is why the hell I didn't just give in. I am the last person who would say customer is always right but customer service is a fluid thing, it's not set in stone. $18 extra is worth it to keep a customer happy, especially when the board cost $300 new and retails used for just under $200 used. Best of luck OP.

Last edited:
I would take the $18 hit. Giving a check is above and beyond what most companies would do.

I would take the $18 hit. Giving a check is above and beyond what most companies would do.

Really? You expect them to say "Well, because it would take us a really long time to repair your board, and we don't have any refurbed boards in stock to send to you, we're just not going to honor your warranty?"

Really? Not only is that just wrong, that's grounds for a lawsuit right there.

Really? You expect them to say "Well, because it would take us a really long time to repair your board, and we don't have any refurbed boards in stock to send to you, we're just not going to honor your warranty?"

Really? Not only is that just wrong, that's grounds for a lawsuit right there.
They offered to repair the board didn't they? They also provided a realistic down to earth no bullshit alternative of providing a check.

I mean they could've taken your board in, have you wait a month or two until you get annoyed, then inform you that they don't have any stock or asks you to wait longer. That or repeatedly send you duds of your "repaired" board until you give up. You know, the usual rma process in this industry.

I'm shocked they even offered you a check. Not being sarcastic here, that's grade A warranty service right there. I would take that check and run.

They offered to repair the board didn't they? They also provided a realistic down to earth no bullshit alternative of providing a check.

I mean they could've taken your board in, have you wait a month or two until you get annoyed, then inform you that they don't have any stock or asks you to wait longer. That or repeatedly send you duds of your "repaired" board until you give up. You know, the usual rma process in this industry.

I'm shocked they even offered you a check. Not being sarcastic here, that's grade A warranty service right there. I would take that check and run.

If by "usual" you mean Asus...

All of my RMA's thus far have been relatively painless. Bad Corsair RAM? Received replacements within a week of sending them in. Western Digital drive went bad? Advanced RMA to transfer data over, then send it in, no extra charge besides temporary hold on CC. Seasonic? 2 weeks. Gigabyte? 2 and a half weeks. MSI 980a board blown up by Thuban? 2 weeks. EVGA? two weeks as well. OCZ? Took them about 3 weeks, but it was in the middle of the Toshiba acquisition.

The only RMA that I had issues with (before this) was with a first gen Xpower. Got sent two duds. Only two weeks between each one. Shipping back was paid by MSI. And at the end of it all, they sent me a brand new, in original retail packaging board. They made it right in the end, and I didn't even have to do anything. I was going to start raising hell if they sent me a third dud, but they surprised me with a brand new motherboard without being asked.

IMO, what they offered me this time around is not acceptable. I have been polite, and they have been polite to me, so it's not like it's a bunch of swearing back and forth. Their responses are prompt, so they're not making me wait either. I have told them that I would either accept enough money to buy a replacement, or have a replacement sent to me within 3 weeks with whichever method they want to use to do that.

I'll tell you this - I just sold a "new" (received as a warranty repair replacement) same board as yours on eBay and I did not net $165 (after fees). I think that's a very fair price. Asking for $18 more is great - but I just don't see a peon being able to help you there...maybe try escalation? But I don't see how you can fault them. They're covering you for repair, they're offering money due to the length of time...you have options and no door is closed.

The board could have been shipped off to Asia for repair by now. If you accept the check, they are going to repair yours anyway for the next guy. I would accept one of their offers if you cannot find any other way to get them to repair/replace it.

I'll tell you this - I just sold a "new" (received as a warranty repair replacement) same board as yours on eBay and I did not net $165 (after fees). I think that's a very fair price. Asking for $18 more is great - but I just don't see a peon being able to help you there...maybe try escalation? But I don't see how you can fault them. They're covering you for repair, they're offering money due to the length of time...you have options and no door is closed.

If I was looking to replace it with a different board, I would agree with you, 165 is a fair price. However, I want the board replaced with the same board, and in my opinion, I shouldn't have to spend more to have the board replaced when it's under warranty.

That is also why I'm posting here, I was hoping there was an MSI rep that could escalate the case. I sent the MSI rep a PM on the day I opened this thread, but I have not had a reply yet. I know I have options, it's just none of the options they have given me are satisfactory for me.

The board could have been shipped off to Asia for repair by now. If you accept the check, they are going to repair yours anyway for the next guy. I would accept one of their offers if you cannot find any other way to get them to repair/replace it.

Like I said, I'm trying to work with them to find an acceptable solution. The last correspondence was yesterday, I'm waiting on a reply. I told them that if they can guarantee the board will be repaired and at my door in three weeks, then they can do the repair.

Eugene responded to me today, as well as the RMA center. Eugene did say that a case like this is out of his control.

However, the RMA rep I was dealing with has said that they will be sending me a check for $183, so I will be ordering the replacement board from Amazon. So just updating to say that things were satisfactorily concluded in the end, if it took a bit longer and more work than I liked. MSI will continue to have my business.

Great to hear that it worked out for you. I've always heard good things about MSI's customer service, so this may be something that was out of the ordinary.

Back