Moving to an SSD: Transferring windows

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so...I grabbed an Intel 510 SSD finally...and will be putting it into my box when it arrives later this week. Can I easily transfer my Win7 install? I've read about alignment and all. Also, what about the partition size? I'll be going down in size of the Windows partition, so will that be an issue?

Is a clean install just wiser?

I would just do a clean install. Less headaches in the long run.

It is possible as MrsOldMX mentioned to do a relatively simple transfer, but I would tend to agree with munkle since you're moving to an SSD. The reasoning is so that Windows 7 knows it's being installed on an SSD and will adjust itself accordingly.

Doing the straight transfer over might not (and I'm saying might not there) work exactly the same or offer the same level of performance that a clean install would, especially since you're planning to use some different partitioning scheme.

Anyway, that's what I would do myself in your situation: a clean install from scratch onto the new drive.

I use an Acronis disk director, never had a problem.

I disagree with everyone, you do not need to do a clean install.

OK, so...I grabbed an Intel 510 SSD finally...and will be putting it into my box when it arrives later this week. Can I easily transfer my Win7 install? I've read about alignment and all. Also, what about the partition size? I'll be going down in size of the Windows partition, so will that be an issue?

Is a clean install just wiser?

Hi,

When I put a 128GB Crucial 300 SSD in my laptop I used one of these data transfer devices that came with the drive to clone my Win7 install from an 80Gb HDD. It was a snap, plug it in to a USB port, attach the SSD, run the software, clone the old drive to the SSD, shut the system down, remove the old drive, install the SSD, fire up the laptop and wait for it to get to the desktop, and you're done. Haven't had a problem.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Back