Motherboard with no FireWire?

I maybe getting a Nforce 4 motherboard that does not have any FireWire connectors on the board. But I do have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS which has firewire. My PC case has a place to hook Firewire in the front I/O ports. Would my Audigy 2 ZS hook up to that?

gate1975mlm said:
I maybe getting a Nforce 4 motherboard that does not have any FireWire connectors on the board. But I do have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS which has firewire. My PC case has a place to hook Firewire in the front I/O ports. Would my Audigy 2 ZS hook up to that?
Maybe, maybe not. You may still need a motherboard which has a FireWire controller onboard.

Looking at the large block to the left of the logo in this pic of your card on NewEgg, it looks a whole lot like a firewire connector. Looks like it'll work.

Edit: goddamnit I keep posting while other people are posting. One of these days I'm going to get in the habit of using preview or something.

I'm only going off a bad pic so I don't know anything to contradict what E4g1e said. *shrug*

ashmedai said:
Looking at the large block to the left of the logo in this pic of your card on NewEgg, it looks a whole lot like a firewire connector. Looks like it'll work.

Edit: goddamnit I keep posting while other people are posting. One of these days I'm going to get in the habit of using preview or something.

I'm only going off a bad pic so I don't know anything to contradict what E4g1e said. *shrug*
The problem with that is, connectors at the opposite end of the cases' front-panel FireWire connections might not have been standardized between different case manufacturers at the time some early FireWire-equipped cases began showing up; some case manufacturers had jumped the gun before the connections became standardized. Some of the front-panel connectors may use different pin layouts in the motherboard connectors. And some front-panel FireWire connection cables may use a completely different connector altogether at the board end.

So it WILL work, but maybe not with every case?

Seen kinda the same thing with internal USB, some cases will have the plugs in a solid block, others will have each wire on a seperate one pin plug and you have to figure out which ones go to where on the board.

ashmedai said:
So it WILL work, but maybe not with every case?

Seen kinda the same thing with internal USB, some cases will have the plugs in a solid block, others will have each wire on a seperate one pin plug and you have to figure out which ones go to where on the board.
Not only that, but motherboard-integrated connectors may not always be compatible with the same front-panel connector, since some motherboard makers use different pin-outs and/or completely incompatible connectors for their external (front-panel) USB/FireWire connections.

You have the card, you have the case, try it out. Even if that pic had high enough detail for me to make out what I'd need to in order to even make a decent guess at it, it'd still just be a guess at this point. Tell us how it works out. :p

I really dont see you having any problem doing it...I have the same card, but a Kingwin Mutant case and it worked just fine when i did it. If you do have any problems there is always a PCI expansion card. Those work every time.

Yup. Worst case is it just doesn't work, it's not going to blow up or anything. Plug it in and give it a go, if it works great, if not just get a cheap expansion card.

Back