Monitor menu popping up

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
My nephew gave me a 2060 Super a while back, and I replaced an old Radeon 380. After installing, my Samsung monitor will randomly have its menu options pop up on the screen. I can exit it with the monitor's buttons, but it comes right back. I updated the nvidia drivers a couple months ago, but it still does the same thing. Anyone seen anything like this?

I can't see how the graphics card (or any PC component) could initiate the monitor OSD. I would lean toward the PCB on the monitor having a faulty component or sticky physical button.

I can't see how the graphics card (or any PC component) could initiate the monitor OSD. I would lean toward the PCB on the monitor having a faulty component or sticky physical button.
I don't know but it started doing it immediately after installing the 2060 Super. Anything is possible, and it could be a huge coincidence, but I believe there is something about the nvidia card that is causing the menu to pop up.

what mne said, the gpu wont cause the osd on the monitor to pop up, it might cause the info bar to pop up though, if its changing res or hz or something. if its the actual osd where you adjust colour temp, brightness, etc, it wouldnt be the gpu, maybe a stuck button. could try hitting it with some contact cleaner.

what mne said, the gpu wont cause the osd on the monitor to pop up, it might cause the info bar to pop up though, if its changing res or hz or something. if its the actual osd where you adjust colour temp, brightness, etc, it wouldnt be the gpu, maybe a stuck button. could try hitting it with some contact cleaner.
Put the 380 back in today and it didn't do it any. Put the 2060 back in and soon as I did and turned it on the monitor menu popped up.

If I had to guess, your monitor is connected via HDMI?

My guess would be somehow HDMI's CEC is sending commands from the GPU that your monitor interprets as the menu button. I dont know a solution, but thats the only possible way I can see this happening as CEC basically acts like a common remote control for connected devices. EG; this is how Fire Sticks can change inputs using voice remote.
If not HDMI, well fuck me sideways and I have no clue at that point.

I guess you can look for CEC settings on the TV and disable them? Alternatively if you have something else plugged into HDMI on the monitor but not the PC, unhook the HDMI and see what happens.

Do you know the code for the maintenance menu?
Did you start a test there?
Because some tests go automatically through menues and restart thermselves again and again if you interfere with the remote.
Mine went thorugh the menue and startet to got through all colors separately atferwards.
So let it run to check if it is a test of some kind.

I ask because i did and i got a similar expereience like you.
The reasoning from Samsungs side is that there is an empty counter on how often the test should run.
Since i haven`t put anything in that field the test looped without ending.

On the phone with a technician we tried a bunch of codes.
Mainly ones to reset/restart besides the usual red button.
Nothing worked at first.
They told me maybe a technician with a "special" technicians remote could fix it.

I have got both remotes. On the bigger one i simply pushed the codes in. Again and again and again and so forth.
At some point one of those reset/retart code seemed to work and i got rid of that issue.

Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Back