Monitor choice nightmare

romeo11523

Limp Gawd
I have not been here in a while and since my last IT job, haven't been on a Windows machine either. I have been on an iMac for the past couple years and recently sold it to build a new rig, going back to IT. I have not kept up on anything and monitors are my only research problem. I am a designer and a gamer. I am building a system with 780 or above cards and I would like to keep it down to under $600 for each monitor. I have heard a lot about 120hz. but a lot about tn panels are worse than IPS or PLS. So below is what I have been looking at, please help me make an informed decision.

ASUS PB278Q

BenQ XL2720T

LG 27EA63V-P (found this on my own, walked by it at best buy)

ViewSonic VP2770-LED (heard a lot about this one, $100 more than I would like to spend)

I HIGHLY recommend.

you need to do some reading to figure out how to achieve 120hz (simple, really) 96hz is guaranteed, but I had zero issues hitting 120hz. What do I have now? I have a IPS panel at 2560x1440 running 120hz. Battlefield never looked better. I HIGHLY recommend. Also, if 120hz is not your thing (it should be, less input lag, smoother gameplay, less screen tearing without vsync <3), you can save about 50% by buying a 1440p screen for about 300-400. Google 'Catleap' 'Shimian' 'Achieva', but I highly(!) recommend Overlord. My power brick died and they replaced it immediately and paid for shipping.

p.s. some panels will come with a dead/stuck pixel or two. Mine has one. 20/20 vision, I notice it like once a month on a white page. Also note that this screen requires Dual Link DVI (most cards have DLDVI out).

p.p.s. in regards to the stand, this is version 2.0 of this screen, with perhaps the best stand out of all Korean screens. The company Overlord is based in U.S.

pee pee pee s. these sell out very quick. :)

Last edited:
Well if you like the iMac then why not grab one of the Korean 27" IPS monitors? I hear that the stands on them are terrible so factor in a VESA stand. You want one without a scalar in it as those have the least amount of input lag. You can get these monitors for around $300 or less each and come with Apple screens in them.

Here is one on Amazon. Let the guys in this forum recommend you the "best" one as I don't really keep up with the newest trends all of the time. :)

As far as 120Hz monitors go in general they are sub par for Photoshop work. I see that you put Designer in your post, so I assume that color reproduction is something that would matter to you. Otherwise I'd recommend a nice 120Hz monitor for a gaming system any day.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Viewsonic VP2770. Other than the Korean stuff, I'm sure many will suggest it. I spent weeks reading about it before I bought one. I just got mine last week and I really like it. 2560x1440 is great to work with. It makes me want to try 2560x1600 though!

In this thread it talks about the Asus PB278Q, Viewsonic VP2770 and a few more. It does mention that there is light bleeding and dead/stuck pixels. I have not experienced either. The VP2770 does have the least amount of input lag. There's no PWM flicker either like on the Asus ( PWM is when the display will rapidly turn the backlight on and off to reduce brightness). The Asus supposedly has backlight bleeding issues too.

If you plan on using this monitor for a long time, then I would say the extra $100 for the VP2770 is worth it. I used my last monitors for just about 6 years, so having a nice one that will hopefully last was important to me.

Last edited:
Back