Modding a Gateway mATX case

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you thought about using a modular power supply to help get rid of all those cables?

have you thought about using a modular power supply to help get rid of all those cables?

My goal is to spend as little as possible on this build. That means using what I've got lying around. So I have thought about a modular power supply, but that's about as far as it will go. :D I might go inside the PSU and de-solder all unneeded cables.

A look inside of the case, minus the PSU. It looks pretty roomy and airy. But get that PSU in there and it is cramped! But good new is I gained about 0.375" clearance above the CPU. This is because I can move the PSU out away from the CPU due to all the rivets on the case being replaced with welds. So no more rivets to content or interfere with. The PSU will will now sit almost flush with the side of the case, therefore gaining almost 0.375" in CPU clearance.
IMG_0813.jpg

I'm still thinking about what to do about the optical drive. I might just do without one until I can find a slim drive FREE or on the cheap. Then I'll turn the bay where the fullsized optical was into the dvd/headphone/microphone/fan controller/coffee maker goes: slim optical near top, all the rest below it (except for maybe the java machine).

I ordered the paint for the case yesterday. I'm going with flat black as I had originally planned. The case will have a stealthy/militaristic look to it. Maybe a little sci-fi with the curves and what not. No LEDs other than the power. It is currently blue, but I might change it to red if I can find one lying around. The extact paint I ordered is SEM self-etching black primer: #39673. From what I've read from other modders, that's all I need if I want the flat black look. If I don't end up getting enough coverage I have a can of flat black rustoleum add some layers.

Before painting I need to finish drilling the holes in the top of the case for the 120mm exhaust, cut up the front panel and add mesh, mount the PSU, figure out the optical drive bracket, and do a little body work here and there.

Coming right along! :D

Went by my local computer repair place at lunch to see what they had along the lines of a slim optical drive. They had tons, but all with proprietary connections for Dells and whatnot. That won't do me any good. But he gave me a non-functioning one so I can at least test fit to design the mounting bracket and faceplate. MicroCenter doesn't have them either, so I'm either going to keep searching CL or go to The Egg. I'll probably end up going through the egg, because I'll need the SATA to mini SATA cables as well and they have them for cheap.

Edit:How about this Sony slimline DVD drive w/ mini Sata cable off ebay???

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I pulled apart the slim optical drive I got today for free :) so that I can see what I'm working with. Sure is small! I think what I'll be doing is using the plastic housing (LEFT) to make a bracket/adapter for the slimline dvd that I'll order from newegg (Samsung drive and a mini SATA to SATA/Molex cable for $37 shipped.) I'll carve it up so it's 5.25" wide and mounts flush with the case. A little dremel work, some epoxy and it should be good to go.
DSCN2606.jpg

DSCN2605.jpg

Thanks T-maxx! Stay tuned for more updates.

PS: I was a big t-maxx fan in college. But stadium trucks were my bread and butter. :D
Terra-Crusher here. :p

The build looks great, glad to see it coming along nicely.

Last edited:
Over 600 holes later and this is what I have; a really nice clean looking topside vent. I'm quite happy with it! It took about 45 min of drilling off and on, but I'm glad I did this rather than cut a round hole and add mesh.
IMG_0826.jpg

I also trimmed out the front panel for better air flow and in preparation for the mesh front panel trim. That piece that is brushed aluminum will be replaced with a full mesh piece. Here's the mod to the front panel:
IMG_0829.jpg

Making progress. :D It's easy to make quick process with plastic. So quick and easy to cut. Not a lot of tool changing. Plus, it's so forgiving if you make mistakes (which I am prone to from time to time ;)):
IMG_0830.jpg

My self-etching primer comes in tuesday. Hopefully, I'll be ready to lay down some flat black by then. Still need to make the slim dvd mounting bracket, mount the headphone/microphone jacks, and cutout the front panel out of steel mesh. Oh, and mount the PSU. I've been avoiding that task because it's going to mess up my nice untainted mesh on the back of the case... :(

That vent actually turned out a lot better than I would've thought -- did you consider maybe tapering off the number of holes toward the sides (make it more rounded) or maybe flare out a little toward the back to follow the lines of the case?

That vent actually turned out a lot better than I would've thought -- did you consider maybe tapering off the number of holes toward the sides (make it more rounded) or maybe flare out a little toward the back to follow the lines of the case?

Hmmm, no haven't. I'm intrigued. Care to do a sketch of one of your ideas? I'll entertain any good ideas :) (though I dread the idea of more drilling, haha)

Had a few extra moments again today to do some work on the case. Had to be a good husband and take care of things around the house today. :D

I started cutting, bending and shaping the front panel. This is a challenge because of working with the curvatures and contours. Plus, I need it to sit smooth and flush in the recess of the front bezel. It's looking pretty good so far! And don't be fooled. This isn't easy to work modder's mesh. This is 3mm thick SPHC (same as the side panel):
IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

It's additions like this that make it look and feel more like a case mod. Actually, unless you see it in person or see it side by side the original, you can hardly tell how tiny this case is! So it doesn't look all that modded....yet. Paint will really make this look sweet. :D

Tomorrow: finish front mesh panel, PSU mount, slimline DVD bracket and misc.

too late now, but careful with having too open a case, though it'll cool you're system well it'll equal alot of noise filtering out from the fans and components.

I know this from modding cases.

That open front and sides look to me like they'll let through a lot of noise.

I prefer my systems quite, and then try to balance getting them cooled while minimizing noise.

Great build btw

The new front panel looks nice. Are you going to keep it with a metal finish or will that become flat black aswell?

too late now, but careful with having too open a case, though it'll cool you're system well it'll equal alot of noise filtering out from the fans and components.

The pictures may be deceiving. Even though that entire front panel insert and a good majority of the side panel are mesh, they are still really small. Ultimately still a lot smaller than your average case, but proportionately quite large (because they need to be). So with that in mind and slow fan speeds it should be pretty quiet.

The new front panel looks nice. Are you going to keep it with a metal finish or will that become flat black aswell?

Thanks! That metal finish does look cool against the black, doesn't it? It's tempting to keep it's natural finish, with maybe a clearcoat, but I think I'll go flat black. What do you think?

I'd probably stay as-is, assuming it doesn't get too boogered up through the course of the bending and shaping process. If it does, flat black will help hide errors. Some contrast could be a good thing.

I'm no metal working guy, but what kind of shine could you put on that front metal with some kind of buffing?

You could get it as shiny as you want. It's SPHC so it's pretty soft, so it would buff well. But a chrome-like shine kind of goes against the theme of the case: stealth/militaristic.

Update: I just put down a coat of flat black paint on the front panel to see what it looks like. Pics coming soon after it dries. :D

And here you go kids; flat black. I'm digging it:
IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

The fit is pretty good, but I'll need to do some epoxy work to clean it up around the edges. What do you all think of the flat back?

the mod look great. keep up the good work.

The front panel looks great. I like the flat black.

Last edited:
Idea: I've got some spent 5.56mm rounds. And by some I mean 15-20lbs of brass. And seeing as how I'm a big FPS fan, it would be cool to work in these into the build somehow. Nothing too obvious or gaudy looking. Any ideas? Rivets? Buttons? ...?
IMG_0860.jpg

- Cut the primer-end off one of the shells and fashion it into a power button, for sure.
- Maye make some veryshort (~1cm) feet?

Got some good ideas rolling in for using the 5.56mm brass!

Mounted the PSU and added the cutout for the power cord and switch:
IMG_0872.jpg

The front panel insert comparison:
IMG_0863.jpg

Last edited:
So here's a few shots of the current state of things. I still need to do some fab work to make the slimline dvd bracket and panel for the headphone/microphone jacks and possible fan controllers. Hopefully, tomorrow the primer will arrive and I can lay down a few light coats this week. It's going to be a busy week, so I won't have a huge amount of time to mod.
IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

But I want to spend a good amount of time on prep for the paint. Clean clean clean! Grind, sand, rinse, degrease, rinse, hot rinse, dry, and then start painting! Here's a crazy idea: what if I did the final cleaning stage of the case and misc. parts... in the dishwasher??? I figure with the plastic pieces on the top shelf (away from the heating elements) and everything else on the bottom, a nice hot high pressure bath would clean it up quite nicely! Doesn't seem like it would do the dishwasher any harm. Because what else does a dishwasher do but clean greasy, nasty metal and glass objects?! Right!? I'll think about that one...

Still to do:
1. cut mesh for the little 0.25" gap above DVD
2. mod thumbscrews for 5.56mm shells
3. fabricate slim dvd bracket and panel
4. epoxy mesh front panel insert to front panel and fill in gaps
5. grind, sand and clean up entire case (welds, cuts and edges)
6. prep case and parts for primer
7. prime with flat black SEM self-etching primer

Though not complete, I did want to show a comparison of before and after. They aren't the same exact case (the one on the left is still as-is), but they were almost identical to begin with. Pretty cool I think. It's so small! Can't wait to get it all painted flat black, inside and out! :D
PIC-0040.jpg
IMG_0867.jpg

Here's a crazy idea: what if I did the final cleaning stage of the case and misc. parts... in the dishwasher??? I figure with the plastic pieces on the top shelf (away from the heating elements) and everything else on the bottom, a nice hot high pressure bath would clean it up quite nicely! Doesn't seem like it would do the dishwasher any harm. Because what else does a dishwasher do but clean greasy, nasty metal and glass objects?! Right!? I'll think about that one...

I wouldn't. It doesn't matter how clean your dishwasher is, it WILL leave a residue on the parts. After years of detergent, grease and other stuff, it's nearly impossible to prevent it.

Now it may not be enough to matter, depending on your paint, but with all the work you're putting into this...

Dayum that front grill looks good in flat black. Glad to see this project coming along nicely.

I gotta agree with Modred189, the dishwasher is not a good idea. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. But dish washer fluid is great for cleaning dirt and grease without much rubbing. Just make sure to wear some gloves and your hands will thank you.

Sounds like I won't be putting the case/parts in the dishwasher, haha. Not sure the wife would have approved of that anyhow :D. So I will likely use dish soap, scotchbrite pad, paper towels and tack cloth to get the case/parts spotless and ready for primer. Most of the case is bare metal, but some of it still have the original paint/powdercoat on it. For these parts I will probably just sand them down a little, but not down to bare metal.

Edit: Yay! I've been moved to the Worklog section! Thanks KB. :D

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea of what the side panel may look like in the end. It will be blacker than that I'm sure.
IMG_0875.jpg

I think that will give the PSU plenty of room to breath. Keep in mind the PSU is spaced back away from the side panel about 0.375". I think I'll end up modding the PSU as well, removing all unneeded cables from the inside by desoldering. Then I'll try to bundle all the wires as best I can in a loom. I want to make it as clean as possible in the confined area and allow for maximum air flow. :)

on the used brass -

1) power/reset switches. self explanatory.

2) I got nothin'. Brass is too slender for case feet, and too small for most anything else. Maybe get your metalworking on and beat a mess of it into a panel for a future mod?

2) I got nothin'. Brass is too slender for case feet, and too small for most anything else. Maybe get your metalworking on and beat a mess of it into a panel for a future mod?

That'd be cool... get a bunch of it, beat the shit out of it so it's all flat, lots of pieces overlapping, then solder / weld it all together from behind so it's a single cohesive sheet. then you could bend it to whatever shape you wanted. It wouldn't work at all for this mod -- completely at odds with the 'clean and stealthy' look -- but if you wanted to do something more 'in your face' and military themed, that'd be awesome. I'm thinking like a theme case for Bulletstorm. Shame that's already out or you could've got a mod deal with the PR people / publishers. ;)

Oooh, I like the idea of pressing a bunch into a sheet! That'd be a great piece for future cases!

I also though of a good one (a couple actually):
1. If it was a windowed case I could line the bottom of the case with shells soldered together. It would look like my PC just unloaded a SAW in a major fire fight, haha! Much the like the deck after some heavy fighting.
2. And here's one I might use: that little 0.25" gap (might be 0.375"), rather than mesh I could line that gap with the primer-end of the shell. It would look sort of like a magazine! So all across that gap above the DVD door would be then ends of the shells: OOOOOOOOOOOOO
What do you think of that!?!?! After work I'll have to see if they fit in there nicely. :D

Ixnay on putting the shells in the gap. Won't fit without modification (and I don't think it would have been worth chopping up for). So... mesh it is!

Here's a slimline DVD-ROM from an HP server that I might try for. $15 as of right now (with shipping). Comes with a mini SATA to mini SATA cable. Think this will work? (I realize I need a different cable.) It caught my eye because of how cheap it is and the front panel and bracket with it; would make it easy to mount. Thoughts???

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back