Minecraft on WHS 2011

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
I've seen that a fair few people are running Minecraft servers on WHS boxes. My nephew wants to play with his friends on a private server. So I was thinking about hosting one on my WHS box. He's only 10 so I don't think that he'll be playing very long.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Minecraft. I've been reading the Wiki about setting up the server software here, but I'd appreciate any advice [H]ers care to provide, particularly on the network security side.

I've played a ton of Minecraft, and setup a server once for limited use. The process is pretty painless really, if you want to let your nephew have access through the internet just open port 25565 on your software and hardware firewalls.
I have heard the server resource requirements can be quite taxing depending on how many users will be playing.

Pretty easy to set up, pretty much just configuring a file and starting up a command prompt type thing IIRC. It gets slightly more complex when you want to run server mods (bukkit, etc.) but for a standard server I'm pretty sure it's straightforward.

Very easy to do. I went a little above and beyond and created a windows service that auto-starts with the VM, "just in case" it reboots and I'm not local to get it all going again. Even with that, it's a breeze to setup and run. 3-5 users can fit easily in 1GB of RAM too. I've had 10 on mine and was using under 1GB for MineCraft.

So the next questions become, "How do I manage it?" and "How do I lock it down to just him and his friends?"

Go in the config file and enable whitelist.

Then you can whitelist just him and his friends in the console.

Linked in my OP.
Then you "should" have all of your answers. The main article itself has a lot of information, and if you follow the links in it, there are a lot of in-depth details that you can get. If you're just setting up a vanilla server, getting it installed and setting up Server.Properties/whitelist.txt are about the only two things you need to do.

A belated thank you to all who responded: I have a very happy nephew.

FWIW the only problem I had was getting the WHS firewall to behave.

Op, if your running a vanilla server off their website, its pretty painless. If u run a Bukkit server, with mods (such as Herochat/locking chests/more mobs/etc) then it becomes more complicated, but not by too much. Ive only set up one server before on a laptop (max of 3 players since the laptop sucked and was bogged down by the server). If you have an actual server, tho, im sure it would run great.

Im sorry i cant be of more help, but ill update this post as i uncover more of my old MC server files lol

Back